Late realization for General Surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsecond

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm one of those students who has just kind of continued with life in the midst of medical school. I am, in my truest form, a bit of a jack of all trades (well, Jill, I guess). I have LOVED nearly all of my rotations, have gotten along with everyone (preceptors, patients, other students, staff), and have really struggled with where to go for residency. I had finally decided to apply EM and Family since I enjoy the variety, love procedures, and want some flexibility. Then, I did another surgery rotation - trauma surgery. I simply can't deny that I really am a surgeon at heart. Can I do these other areas of medicine and do them well? Yes. But what do I really enjoy? Where do I have the most fun? Surgery! That being said, I have had two children during medical school and have fought my way through. I am stubborn and determined. But I followed advice given and got through - I didn't ace my courses and I didn't do very well on boards. I passed step 1 (COMLEX and USMLE) on my first try but then took my USMLE Step 2 too soon after giving birth to my second child and just was not well-enough prepared and did not pass. Are there programs out there who would consider me anyway? I am a bit older and have a variety of life experiences. I have passed all my coursework and done well on my clerkship rotations. I have pretty good letters. I am most interested in the midwest and south but will consider most places. Are there surgery programs out there that give a broad base of training with early opportunities to operate that would consider my overall application in spite of less than stellar scores and needing a second attempt at USLME Step 2? (I did pass COMLEX level 2 on the first try.)

Members don't see this ad.

Your post is confusing. Are you a fourth year applying right now? Did you retake step II CK and pass or not? It's super late in the game to be changing fields at this point. Would you even have the requisite surgery letters and all that? You'd get better responses in the surgery/surgery applications subforum, but from my inexperienced viewpoint I'm thinking you would probably need to wait until next year to apply for gen surg if it is really what you want to do.

I might consider applying to a bunch of surgery prelim positions. You are going to work like a dog though. With two kids, you are going to need a ton of support.

If you do surgery prelim and work hard, it would be much easier to slip into a surgical match. But I'd apply to both, make a case about what you learned about yourself and how to work harder with your failed step 2, and hope for the best. Sounds like you have really worked hard against a lot of challenges. Best of luck going forward. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Take a look at the most recent charting the outcomes to see how dos faired in the general surgery match.

Reactions: 1 users