dude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclacrewdude

the uclacrewdude abides
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
why the hell does cardiovascular physiology need to be so #($%(#&^(@^$#())^$@($($(^$)$@($&($@(^#&)$@#(^*$#)#@!(^^^*!^*($(!$)$#)^(#^#$@^* hard??? ugh, its like trying to work on a foreign car!!

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: , my girlfriend complains to me about that crap every single day. I'm just happy to be finished with it.

What's funny is that I couldn't understand anything about CV physio the way it was taught at my school, but once I cracked BRS Physiology my second year, it seemed like the easiest science in the world. Oh well, just one more thing my school doesn't know how to teach appropriately.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's like me and reproductive physiology. I mean, okay so it's a little easier to understand but !")*&?^"&^? hard to remember! Exams suck over here cuz they're not multiple choice, they're essay. So you really have to know everything about everything to write about it. !"?Y"*?&T

I think the hardest part about it was conceptualizing the frank-starling curve. But it starts to make sense after you've mulled it over for a few hours. My advice is to step away from it for a little while. You might have an epiphany when you hit the books again. Good luck.

That's nothing, we have cardiovascular and pulmonary physiology on the same exam. Be happy to have just one topic on your exam!!+pity+

Originally posted by Stinger86
:laugh: , my girlfriend complains to me about that crap every single day. I'm just happy to be finished with it.

What's funny is that I couldn't understand anything about CV physio the way it was taught at my school, but once I cracked BRS Physiology my second year, it seemed like the easiest science in the world. Oh well, just one more thing my school doesn't know how to teach appropriately.

You could know BRS cold and still do poorly on Dr. Soulsby's test. Actually his stuff wasn't that bad this year, it was the exercise physiology questions that were coming from way out in left field.

Now if I can just get all this brain stem business down by Friday I can start worrying about catching up on pulmonary physiology after the break (or maybe during Spring break but I don't want to sound to "gunnerish").

what are you talking about, it's awesome!
:love:

check out BRS Physio... it's very good. Any Physio review book by Linda S. Costanzo should be really helpful.

Originally posted by BiggMann79
You could know BRS cold and still do poorly on Dr. Soulsby's test. Actually his stuff wasn't that bad this year, it was the exercise physiology questions that were coming from way out in left field.

Now if I can just get all this brain stem business down by Friday I can start worrying about catching up on pulmonary physiology after the break (or maybe during Spring break but I don't want to sound to "gunnerish").

This is very true. It's so frustrating to read a great review text like BRS, understand everything, and still get eaten alive on a course exam.

As for those left-field exercise physiology questions, I had the exact same problem last year. I don't think I got a single one of them right, which means I lost like 8 points on a 50 question test (already an 84!!) and that's BEFORE Soulsby ripped me a new one with his questions. I detested physiology when I took the course, but now that I can just read concise review texts, it's not so bad. Of course, I think that can be said for just about any medical school course.

Originally posted by Stinger86

so true...same goes for renal too, BRS presents both so clearly compared to frickin physiology professors here. i just had my physio midterm on monday covering CV and renal. renal was a pain in the arse since we had to know every frickin minute detail about the kidney. cardio is pretty cool.

Originally posted by Carbon
Cardiovascular's nothing.... I hate renal and pulmonary physiology. +pissed+

i'm with you on this!

Originally posted by jakstat33
i'm with you on this!

I think what we're all getting at here, in one way or another, is that no matter what subsection you're studying, physiology blows

Originally posted by No Fear
That's nothing, we have cardiovascular and pulmonary physiology on the same exam. Be happy to have just one topic on your exam!!+pity+

Got you beat, we had cardiovascular, respiratory, AND renal on the same test.... that was a rough 6 weeks

And I thought it was just our horrible British instructor....I'm somewhat glad to know it sucks around the country!

ok, i think i survived that physio exam. from what you guys are saying, tho, i think the next segment (pul, renal, endo) is gonna be even more of a ****kicker :mad: i wasnt even good at renal histo!

what do you people think the best review book for physio is? consensus seems to be BRS, but what about the others?

I say stick with the BRS. That thing single-handedly made physiology worth studying for me