Duke 2018 Summer Biomedical Sciences Institute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosehousedawgshouse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone apply to this program for this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't gotten any notification today and my application page still says my transcripts haven't arrived. I sent them twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did! Did you hear anything back yet? We're supposed to get notified today.
I haven't gotten any notification today and my application page still says my transcripts haven't arrived. I sent them twice.
I haven't heard back either :( I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago and found out that Duke got flu so the office was closed for 2 weeks. I'm really hoping that they get back to us within today though cause I honestly can't wait anymore lol. But doesn't seem like it considering that it's passed business hour over in NC o_O

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard back either :( I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago and found out that Duke got flu so the office was closed for 2 weeks. I'm really hoping that they get back to us within today though cause I honestly can't wait anymore lol. But doesn't seem like it considering that it's passed business hour over in NC o_O
something is wrong with the dashboard page, but I called today and you should receive an official email tomorrow.

I checked my dashboard and it said that my application is complete and is in review. Good luck to all of y'all.

I checked my dashboard and it said that my application is complete and is in review. Good luck to all of y'all.
When did you check your dashboard? I just now tried logging in but the Apply Now tab is not there anymore, but there's a Register Now tab...

Alright I just called them and the lady said the decision has been posted on the application page, which I do not see. Anyone sees their decision posted already?

Alright I just called them and the lady said the decision has been posted on the application page, which I do not see. Anyone sees their decision posted already?
I called as well and was told the same thing. The lady gave me a link to the dashboard and I don't see anything. It says that my app is still in review.

I called as well and was told the same thing. The lady gave me a link to the dashboard and I don't see anything. It says that my app is still in review.
I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Mhm, it's getting kinda frustrating o_O I'll call them again tomorrow and see what they say. Just making sure, did you apply for the priority decision period? Cause it's my guess that they somehow considered my app as the regular deadline one?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Mhm, it's getting kinda frustrated o_O I'll call them again tomorrow and see what they say. Just making sure, did you apply for the priority decision period? Cause it's my guess that they somehow considered my app as the regular deadline one?
Yes, I applied for the priority decision. Hopefully they get back to us soon

I applied for the priority as well and I am confused about the decision. When I go to the subs website, It tells me to register now which would indicate that I got accepted. However, when I go to another link to login to my actual account, it says my application is still under review. Has this happened to anyone else?

I applied for the priority as well and I am confused about the decision. When I go to the subs website, It tells me to register now which would indicate that I got accepted. However, when I go to another link to login to my actual account, it says my application is still under review. Has this happened to anyone else?
I think the Register Now tab is just on there and is not associated with your application. Though, I just called them again half an hour ago and they were able to let me know what my status was. The lady also said there was something wrong with emailing out decisions but they're working on it. So I suggest giving them a call!

I applied and got accepted !! Good luck guys

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!! Did you get an email or check on your application page? I got waitlisted btw lol. Mind sharing your stats?
Well waitlist is still good! You prob would've gotten in if you applied earlier maybe. I am a community college student with a 3.9 GPA chem E major. Honestly, I just think i had a good personal statement. I told a personal story that may have connected with them. I also applied to SHPEP at UW.

Haven't gotten anything yet. I think the latest they'll notify us is the 15th cause that's when SHPEP sends out their acceptances.

Haven't gotten anything yet. I think the latest they'll notify us is the 15th cause that's when SHPEP sends out their acceptances.
I called them and they didn't answer. They might be busy sorting things out. I'm super anxious cause I just got into my last choice for SHPEP and I really want Duke (my first choice). We only have two days to decide sooo I kinda need an update.

I called them and they didn't answer. They might be busy sorting things out. I'm super anxious cause I just got into my last choice for SHPEP and I really want Duke (my first choice). We only have two days to decide sooo I kinda need an update.
Go ahead and accept the SHPEP. If Duke accepts you, you can call the SHPEP site and just let them know that another program accepted you and you think it would be a better fit.

It's so funny..while I was waiting during the SHPEP mishap, Duke emailed me and told me that my application was FINALLY completed and is in review. I had to send in my transcript twice and email them 4 times because the dashboard was showing that my documents weren't received. So I have no idea when they'll get back to me, or how to check if I got accepted. Oh well haha

It's so funny..while I was waiting during the SHPEP mishap, Duke emailed me and told me that my application was FINALLY completed and is in review. I had to send in my transcript twice and email them 4 times because the dashboard was showing that my documents weren't received. So I have no idea when they'll get back to me, or how to check if I got accepted. Oh well haha
I feel dude. I really wish their notification timeline was more clear or even they were just more communicative. When I called and found out that I was waitlisted last week or so, they told me that they would make final decisions by the end of this month because most people applied during the priority decision deadline this year so they don't have too many apps left to review. Hope this piece of info gives you a better idea and good luck!

Which would you guys rather do. SHPEP or Duke Summer Biomedical Program and explain your reason why?

Yeah, I wish they communicated the deadline and decision date better or at least updated the dashboard. I'm not even sure whether I made the priority decision deadline because they dashboard kept saying they didn't have my transcripts even though I sent them in December. So we'll see. Good luck!

I called them today and they told me to call back in a week to see if there has been any waitlist movement which is weird because people had to confirm by Tuesday.

Which would you guys rather do. SHPEP or Duke Summer Biomedical Program and explain your reason why?
I personally would choose Duke simply because their curriculum fits me better like I'm taking ochem next school year and Duke offers that course. Also, I'm more comfortable with smaller groups-- 80 people are just too much for me lol. Though I heard the program at Duke is verrrrry rigorous. Not sure about SHPEP?

Did u guys apply priority? Bc the website said they would release the reg decisions on April 1.

I don't even know if I'm on the waitlist or anything...there is literally no indication of my application status. I guess I need to call :arghh:

It said it on one of the pages when you were applying to the program. Idk though they may have changed it. I would call up there to verify.
Do you know where the website says this? I can't find it

Has anyone heard anything?
I applied early and got accepted for that round of applicants. I look forward to meeting you guys in Durham this summer. Good luck to the rest awaiting decisions.

I applied early and got accepted for that round of applicants. I look forward to meeting you guys in Durham this summer. Good luck to the rest awaiting decisions.
I also got accepted! Look forward to meeting you as well. Where are you coming from?

I also got accepted! Look forward to meeting you as well. Where are you coming from?
I am coming from the Greensboro, NC area. I currently attend NC State in Raleigh. What about you?

I applied regular decision as well from Amherst College in Massachusetts. My GPA wasn’t so great first semester but still fell within the requirement range, so I’m hoping for the best! I guess we have about 10 days left before final decisions. Congrats to those who got in!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back yet? The page isn’t loading for me rn.

I hop everyone who is waiting on their decision gets in!

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe the decisions will come out at 5:00 EST? The application was due at 5:00 EST, so I'm assuming it would be the same for decision releases?? If I don't receive a decision by 5, I may call SBSI.