This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTthoughts

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! so i just got accepted to Duke's DPT program and was accepted to Northwestern's a while earlier. Duke needs me to let them know early december while NU has given me till february which is great..but now i need to decide between the two. Duke doesn't have an open house date until after the date on which I have to submit a letter of intent so I won't know what it's like (although a very good friend of mine goes to UNC Chapel Hill Pharm so I have a bit of an idea of what the area is like). I'm going to visit NU in january for their open house but either way, I have to make a decision between the two sooner than that..

Can anyone who has gone to/is at Duke or NU DPT give some advice? Is Duke more liberal than conservative? Is the weather at NU too brutal (I've just spent the past 4 years in LA so I may be a bit weak in the windy city..)? Do both schools require a research project? Etc etc.

any advice would be appreciated! thanks so much :)

P.S. does anyone know if a letter of intent is "contractually binding"? like if I submit one to a school but end up not going, i can't get in like legal trouble right? from my understanding the worst that would happen is i don't get my deposit back, but if someone knows something else please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to tour Duke before submitting my application. It seems like a great program, really focused on making you a great practitioner. The facilities aren't flashy like you'd think, but everyone I spoke with (students and faculty) were very kind and seemed to love the program. I believe there is one research project required but it's in groups. There entire curriculum is built around team based learning, so that's something you'll have to consider. I recommend emailing them to get more information about team-based learning so you can consider if it matches your study style.

@charlotter

thanks so much for the reply! that's all good to know and yes i'll be emailing them for more info!

Reactions: 1 user