Duke Secondary Essay Lengths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldhkybnva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this year there are no word/character limits for the Duke secondary essays, however, I took a look at the questions and limits for last year and they seemed to be outrageously short. That is, I have been focusing on writing like a page or so for each, but what they asked for last year was more along the lines of a few short sentences to answer questions with multiple parts. So, I'm just wondering if anyone who has finished the Duke secondary folllowed last year's essay limits to get an idea of what they probably are looking for or just wrote however much even if it was significantly more than the limits for last year.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My shortest response was a couple paragraphs and my longest was a page and a half.

Members don't see this ad :)

I went anywhere from a half a page to 3/4 of one. Made an effort to keep it short for the Adcom's benefit, but I thought their limits last year were so short that I would have left out vital info that would be in my favor. I wrote what I had to, then tried like heck to cut it down in any way I could.