Duke vs Case vs Ohio State vs State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatwutwat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not an Ohio resident btw.

I've been very lucky to have been accepted by multiple medical schools, but now I'm in a position where I don't know which one to choose. I was hoping to get some advice and insight on what other people might do if they were in my position. Thanks so much in advance!

I'm currently interested in surgery - particular a surgical specialty (maybe ENT?). But then again, things may change. Additionally, I'm leaning towards going into private practice, but academic medicine may also be an option.
I also want to end up in CA for residency. If not CA, then NYC or Boston.

Duke
+ Top 10 school, amazing match list
+ unique curriculum
+ Outstanding facilities and faculty
+ The student vibe was relaxed, as opposed to what I expected from a 1 year preclinical
+ I have friends that would also be attending Duke Med as well as Duke undergrad friends
+ low cost of living
+ greater chance of pubs as well as easy option to pursue dual degree programs
+ bball culture
+ diverse population
- location, I already went to Duke undergrad and I'm not sure if I want to live in Durham for another 4 years
- expensive. I'm looking at ~77k a year for tuition + other.

Case
+/- PBL
+ Rank #25 on USNWR
+Different city, Cleveland is bigger than Durham.
+ Cleveland Clinic is right next door
+ low cost of living
+ Professional Sports (haha but not really)
+ One extended family member goes to Case undergrad
+ diverse population compared to state school and ohio state
- Colder climate
- Haven't gotten financial aid package yet but will probably just as expensive as Duke. However, I applied for the merit scholarships. If I received the merit scholarships, would attending Case over Duke be worth it?

Ohio State
+ Cheaper than Duke and Case, and I can apply for instate residency after 1 year. 47k out of state, 30k in state tuition only.
+ low cost of living
+ Merit scholarships available for top 10% and top 25% of each class
+ large Ohio State undergrad and sports culture
- Not as prestigious/lower USNWR rank at around 30; worried about match results
- not sure how abundant research opportunities would be compared to Case and Duke

State School
Not going to reveal state school name b/c of desire to remain more anonymous
+ Cheapest tuition at around ~20k (so 45k including other things?) a year not including merit scholarships that I could potentially receive
+ I would know high school friends, and be close to family
- I have no desire to live in my home state -- the diversity sucks
- USNWR rank is around 60 or 70.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for voting in the poll but can some people explain why they would? I'm just trying to get different perspectives.

I voted for Duke- I totally get that going to a med school that was the same as your undergrad is a deterrent, but I lowkey think you'd be a little crazy to give up Duke. I think Duke gives you your best chance to get into the residency you want, especially as ENT is competitive and Cali residencies are even more so. Ultimately it depends on how much money you tryna spend, but my philosophy is money comes and goes, but reputation doesn't (normally). Just my two cents. Maybe more experienced people can chime in!

It sounds like you actually prefer Duke over the other schools, AND its reputation will give you a big leg up for residency. Based on your post it seems pretty obvious where you should go. That's why the vote is so lopsided imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO Harvard, Stanford, and Johns Hopkins are in a tier all their own, while Duke is in the tier directly below that.

Case is probably in the tier just below Duke IMO.

Full disclosure - I'm on Case's alternate list LOL. But I don't think my advice would change either way.