Duke waitlist movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone come off the waitlist at Duke yet? Anyone know if there has been any movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't it a little early for the Duke Waitlist to move?

I agree...most waitlist movement doesn't come until the weeks after May 15, when people are forced to give up extra spots.

I'm not sure historically how active Duke's waitlist is, but the fact that they only admitted 180 for their 100 person class seems promising for waitlisters. I know Michigan accepts double their class and has a very active waitlist, so Duke's is probably very similar.

Good luck, and hopefully I'll see you guys in Durham next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really hoping for lots of waitlist movement as well. However, I'd think that most of the ppl they accept will end up attending. To keep our heads in check, previous threads have stated that the waitlist is over 100 ppl long and they only accept approx 10. Not very good odds.

Oh, I didn't realize that it had so little movement, I'm sure they take a few more than 10, but still... My comments were based on the observation that a lot of people at second look had acceptances at other top 5-10 schools and was assuming that a decent portion would take other acceptances.

On the other hand, I do remember someone mentioning that Duke has a pretty complex algorithm for calculating how many acceptances they send out per year, taking into account everything from the number of apps they recieve to their US News ranking to how far the basketball team makes it in the NCAAs...

spoke to my student interviewer who said 30-40% of the class of 2004 were from the waitlist. the figure, assuming it is roughly consistant each year, certainly bodes well for the future...

Does anyone know if we should submit our financial aid information if we're waitlisted? If I recall when I interviewed, the fin aid spokesperson said that we should submit everything except the Need Access which has a quick turnaround time if we aren't immediately accepted. When I called the fin aid department the other day, someone there told me to hold off before sending anything until I got accepted. So, what are other people doing? The thought of my personal and financial information sitting out in the open and in limbo until and if I get accepted unsettles me somewhat.

It's standard practice to designate all schools on FAFSA, so if you haven't already done that, go ahead and do so. You're probably fine hanging onto copies of tax returns and any other paperwork until later. NeedAccess (which is HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE!) is the rate-limiting step, so if they say not to do that until you're accepted, there's not much point in submitting the other stuff.

In the waitlist letter, the admissions office said to apply for financial aid now that way they can have a package ready for you when you come off the waitlist

hattrics said:
spoke to my student interviewer who said 30-40% of the class of 2004 were from the waitlist. the figure, assuming it is roughly consistant each year, certainly bodes well for the future...

WOW, that's a really high number, i doubt it but i hope ur right!!!!!!

Nice, it seems like a lot of students come off the waitlist. :thumbup:

any word???

I am dying to get off this waitlist.....

secretmiss said:
any word???

I am dying to get off this waitlist.....

me too, although i think real/majority of movement starts in june/july

30-40% seems insanely high.

After talking to a few students, 15-20% seems to be a better figure....imo.

JH

After looking through her insider advisor book, my premed counselor confirmed that Duke typically has a waitlist of about 100 and 10-20 get pulled off. Good luck ya'll.