Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pulling for ya no matter what you decide to do! You’re obviously deserving to go into the field, it’s just gotten so competitive that it isn’t enough anymore.Thank you for everyone’s insight
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Pulling for ya no matter what you decide to do! You’re obviously deserving to go into the field, it’s just gotten so competitive that it isn’t enough anymore.Thank you for everyone’s insight
I mean this in the nicest way but if your only motivation is money for those specialties then you really don't know the work entailed to get to them and actually work in those specialties. You will likely change your mind as a med student as most do.I do have most of those things listed in your edit. Only interviewed at 1 MD so not much to have to worry about there. Added close to 1000-1500 hours, and a publication (case series). Brand new personal statement and an entirely new WA explanations. Didn’t improve GPA 3.5x and MCAT 511 tho.
I want the high earning potential of the competitive specialities. I know this may be seen as some kind of taboo and quite frankly I think that’s BS. This whole thing about not making medicine about the money is a load of BS bc we all know that is a big reason why we’re going into it. Doctors earn much more than the average person and the stability is great. We’re putting ourselves through all this debt and years of delayed gratification. Also the DO school I got into happens to be one of the most expensive in the country. That’s an issue of its own. Why would I not want to take the biggest piece of the pie? So I’m aiming high for those top specialties and not settling for less. Not because I think they’re worse, I just want to make the extra money. At the end of the day I want to be a doctor and see patients, but some extra cash makes a huge difference. It’s not all about the money for me. But who doesn’t want more money? We all have bills to pay and a certain life we want to live.
Second this. The competitive specialties don’t make 600k+ for nothing. Many physicians in these specialties literally dedicate their whole life to their work. They are fine with either not having a family or just knowing that they will miss out on a ton of quality time with their kids/spouse. Not saying that these physicians can’t have families, it is just much much harder to balance work and life.I mean this in the nicest way but if your only motivation is money for those specialties then you really don't know the work entailed to get to them and actually work in those specialties. You will likely change your mind as a med student as most do.
Also, as another poster said, your GPA and MCAT are very mid for an MD acceptance and I think that's reflected in the single interview.
Lastly, if you had no intention of ever attending the DO school, why even apply? You should take it, work as hard as you possibly can, and move on with your life. Going the DO route isn't going to be the thing that prevents you from doing what you want. That's on you.
EDIT: I got off a single MD waitlist, on my second cycle, at the end of May and I had better stats than you. I wish I had applied to a bunch of DO schools and my year would have been so much less stressful.
Okay, well I definitely think you should take it. I'd rather be 1/4 done next year than possibly applying again.applied DO bc an advisor said it was the smart thing to do. Told myself I’d cross that bridge later when I got there. Didn’t want to apply late. Hope that answers your question bud
Right there with you. We got this.Another week. Another waiting game.
GUYS I GOT OFF THE WAITLIST AT MY TOP IN-STATE AFTER GETTING PLACED ON HOLD LEGIT LAST OCTOBER. Got the email as I was putting my new personal statement into my re-app today. Don't lose faith, manifesting for you all [emoji[emoji639][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]]]]
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!Soooo happy for you congrats!!!!! Manifesting this for all of us I am so excited for you this must be the best feeling!
Also waiting on SF. It's been a long wait but fingers crossed!the ucsf waitlist is making me sweating beads every single minute of every single hour, but nonetheless i am manifesting 🙂
CONGRATULATIONS! I heard you can get most your money back possibly if it's done ASAP so call AMCAS and find out!I literally just dropped $1200 on reapplying yesterday but it doesn’t matter anymore 😭
Oh my gosh that would be amazing I’ll get on that!!CONGRATULATIONS! I heard you can get most your money back possibly if it's done ASAP so call AMCAS and find out!
A letter of interest will do little to nothing at this point in the cycle. Letter of intent before CTE has a better chance of moving the needleDo u guys recommend sending an email to schools with continued interest before or after the CTE?
What changes if you continue waiting? Just wait until you have to start at the other programim still wl at my top DO school, and it starts in august 4th. should i hold out a bit longer or just commit to my other DO school (new school)
maybe send a thoughtful email asking if their policy allows applicants to send letters of intent at this stage (cuz sometimes this is stated on tgeir website and you dont wanna send unsolicited info- that wont reflect well). that alone shows continued interest and if they do accept letters of intent then make you send a strong one! 🙂 GL!!!Do u guys recommend sending an email to schools with continued interest before or after the CTE?
It happened for me just now so manifesting for you!!Is it common for medical schools to accept waitlisted students after the CTE deadline? This is something that has been on my mind for a while because I cannot seem to find too much reliable information online regarding this.
You're not alone, I'm on a bunch of waitlists too. It's been extremely tough battling the stress of hoping to get off waitlists with finalizing my reapp at the same time.being on waitlists right now is already so stressful, but with the passage of the BBB… the stakes have just gotten so much higher 🙁 any words of encouragement? struggling to stay positive right now 💔
If you think you're eligible you may want to apply for fee assistance. I got it and wasn't expecting to get it, only took them 2 days to verify it.Waitlisted at UMiami, NOVACOM, and FAUCOM, I have just submitted my 2026 application because it's not looking great, and after emailing the directors, they confirmed it's over. RIP, 3rd application cycle here we go! so excited to drop another $2,000 and Re-write all my secondaries! What an amazing process thank you AAMC!
The app isn’t holding you back because you got interviews. Interview most likely is the issue unless you interviewed late and they ran out of slots. I recommend still redoing your application with new stuff, try to build it while putting together a more cohesive narrative. Recycling what you did last time won’t work as schools want to see growth and if you send in the same stuff you have less of a chance of another invite.I'm curious if anybody has insight on how people with multiple interviews do if they have to reapply? I had 4 II's 3 of which were in February and March which turned into 4 WL's (including one tier 1 waitlist). Sadly I haven't turned any of those WL's into A's despite by best efforts and I am reapplying for this cycle submitting in the next few days.
I would have liked to have been admitted this time but was pleased to get 4 interviews. My concern is that, even with improvements to my application, I won't get in for the 25-26 cycle, I'm hoping that the schools I interviewed at will see that I reapplied earlier and improved my application and offer me an earlier interview but I just don't know. Can anyone offer advice?
Thank you very much! This is really helpful.The app isn’t holding you back because you got interviews. Interview most likely is the issue unless you interviewed late and they ran out of slots. I recommend still redoing your application with new stuff, try to build it while putting together a more cohesive narrative. Recycling what you did last time won’t work as schools want to see growth and if you send in the same stuff you have less of a chance of another invite.
Also see if any of the schools you interviewed with have feedback. Never hurts to ask. Rooting you get off a WL though.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.