Dukes Anonymous :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry but I don't think there's any point in guessing how many acceptances they still have to send out now... just wait for a few more days...
they have probably made decisions to be sent out by the end of this week (I had some questions and called today and she remembered my name... scary)
fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

you're absolutely right there is no point. but when you've been waiting since october for a decision and learning that many people already know, you can't help but come up with some sort of conclusion to bring forth some kind of clarity and give yourself closure whether it be valid or not

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear yah! I've been waiting since October also. There were only 2 people interviewing during my day.

y'all are cro-haaaaack-heads. I wish I could call people up like I did last year (and had my eardrum perfed by FCD's classmate, Miss Neisseria Crabbe). . . too bad I'm stuck at the VA-Spa on Medicine!

Those of you waiting: here's a little something to help you bide the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB-cCWm2xKU

y'all are cro-haaaaack-heads. I wish I could call people up like I did last year (and had my eardrum perfed by FCD's classmate, Miss Neisseria Crabbe). . . too bad I'm stuck at the VA-Spa on Medicine!

You are so weird.

There's nothing there.

you're absolutely right there is no point. but when you've been waiting since october for a decision and learning that many people already know, you can't help but come up with some sort of conclusion to bring forth some kind of clarity and give yourself closure whether it be valid or not

I know what you mean, I was freaking out like you just a month ago for another school when they started sending out acceptances. Looking back, I realize all these speculations will just mess with your mind more. That's why I called and when I knew they will send out all letters (A/W/R) by this week, I told myself to just wait... just for a few more days...

hey if any of you current students are gonna be around the admissions office area tomorrow afternoon, ill probly be submitting my deposit so maybe ill see you there (prob around 1-2).

ill be the one who appears to be completely lost.

Okay, so... here's my take on the question of how big the second batch is.

According to MDApplicants (obviously not super-reliable, but adequate for my purposes):
Last year (2007):
66 profiles indicate that they interviewed- 20 were accepted (30% of interviewed candidates were accepted)

The year before (2006):
80 interviewed, 25 accepted (31% of interviewed candidates were accepted)

The year before that (2005):
113 interviewed, 31 accepted (27% of interviewed candidates were accepted)

And the year before that (2004):
57 interviewed, 17 accepted (30% of interviewed candidates were accepted)

(I'm not going to bother going back any farther- quite frankly, going back to 2004 is quite a stretch. Also, I didn't bother going through the profiles to figure out which ones were obviously fake... I know that there are plenty. Of course, there's also the confounding issue of what ratio of those candidates are MD/PhD... it looks like an awful lot of this year's acceptances are MD/PhDs.)
----

This year (2008):
76 interviewed, 15 acceptances (20% of interviewed candidates were accepted)

So, I figure that they still have about a third of the acceptances left to go if the MD Applicants 30% post-interview acceptance rate stays true.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha wow i didn't know where it was going at first but i must say that was pretty incredible how you actually went and did the math like that lol

Good thought SB,

Hopefully everyone on mdapps that got into washU already has updated their profile! And hopefully the waitlist->then acceptences from past years don't skew the numbers.

When do you have spring break?

March 24-28 week. When is y'alls?

"Hi Kettle. . . This is Pot. You're BLACK!"

OK... I'm gonna let you little MS0s/hopeful MS0s chime in on this one. You get an email saying that pagemmapants has signed your wall. Keep in mind you rarely see her because she is a second year, and on top of that, you hardly ever interact via anything other than SDN. To make matter weirder, when you read the wall, do you know what it says??? It says *stab*. Literally, that is all it says. Confusion ensues.

Now you tell me, who is weirder?

OK... I'm gonna let you little MS0s/hopeful MS0s chime in on this one. You get an email saying that pagemmapants has signed your wall. Keep in mind you rarely see her because she is a second year, and on top of that, you hardly ever interact via anything other than SDN. To make matter weirder, when you read the wall, do you know what it says??? It says *stab*. Literally, that is all it says. Confusion ensues.

I think the appropriate emotion here would be fear. Tremendous fear.

oh don't get your panties in a bunch. you know you love the attention we give you, you histrionic mo-fo. :p

wait... i think i'm projecting. forget what i said. :rolleyes:

2nd year here. LOVING internal medicine at the durham VA. there's nothing quite like seeing 50+ year old ex military men, it's like two of my favorite fantasies decided to beat the crap out of each other. (j/k)

3 points:
1.) CONGRATULATIONS ON THE ACCEPTANCES!
2.) For those that didn't get accepted the first round, DON'T LOSE HOPE!
3.) Come to 2nd look so you can really check out what our fabulous school has to offer. (while we check you out too ;) ) (j/k again)

i lied, 1 more point:
any LGBT students who want to know more about what life at Duke is like as an LGBT student, feel free to PM me.

tata and good luck!

come on now people, let's not deviate from the second batch anxiety, this is SDN here

does duke pay for travel-related cost for second-look? If I do get in, I would need to fly from far away for second-look...

i dont think so...but you could check the email they send you about second look.

also, keep in mind that second look is optional

So have our rejection/waitlist letters been sent out then?

Any second batch news yet????

I just withdrew from Duke, hopefully one of you guys can get a wonderful surprise soon...good luck all!

Keep in mind you rarely see her because she is a second year, and on top of that, you hardly ever interact via anything other than SDN.

Whose fault's that? You MS1s never invite us old fogeys to anything. :mad: I can't speak for kirexhana or diosa or burnsie but I know that I am fun.

Thanks for making more available spaces for us!

there's nothing quite like seeing 50+ year old ex military men, it's like two of my favorite fantasies decided to beat the crap out of each other. (j/k)

Is it weird that I thought brad pitt was hotter in Babel when he had grey hair?

mmmm.

does duke pay for travel-related cost for second-look? If I do get in, I would need to fly from far away for second-look...

Duke does not pay for travel costs to Second look...at least, I did not read that in the email.

Responses to various elements of this thread:
1.) Spring break is in May for the second years
2.) Duke does not pay for travel costs to second look (or at least have not historically) but they will put you up with a student host if you desire. Incidentally, somehow the first years' spring break always coincides with second look so they are not around. Is that true again?
3.) I am fun.
4.) The first years have invited us to stuff, we just don't go to it.

I will go along with and add to diosa's numerical list:
5.) I'm offended FCD doesn't want attention from me :( (no banana!)
6.) I'm actually pretty boring.
7.) That e-mail that was sent out from one of the MS1s about sending only one composite e-mail per week/month did not sit particularly well with my class...
8.) It's only day 4 of OB/Gyn and I'm already tired of pap smears.
9.) As always, PM me with any questions!

6.) I'm actually pretty boring.
7.) That e-mail that was sent out from one of the MS1s about sending only one composite e-mail per week/month did not sit particularly well with my class...
9.) As always, PM me with any questions!

I'm tired of vaginas.

Responses to various elements of this thread:
2.) Duke does not pay for travel costs to second look (or at least have not historically) but they will put you up with a student host if you desire. Incidentally, somehow the first years' spring break always coincides with second look so they are not around. Is that true again?
3.) I am fun.
4.) The first years have invited us to stuff, we just don't go to it.

2) This is not true this year. We will be around, and we'll be having fun with our soon to be first year buddies.
3) That is false.
4) This is proof of #3 above.

Whose fault's that? You MS1s never invite us old fogeys to anything. :mad: I can't speak for kirexhana or diosa or burnsie but I know that I am fun.

You may be fun, but you always seem to have some goonish looking bf lurking around. Besides, you know the first year schedule better than we know yall's second year schedule. If you wanna hang out, you should just contact one of us every other weekend. Duh!

5) Burnsie, I always want attention from you. :banana:
7) Not our fault... our class prez did this without our knowledge. I apologize on behalf of the first years for this mix up.
8) gross

No. The fact that we don't hang out with you all is WHY we're fun. Your class is way to gunnerish to be fun.

you guys are intense, hopefully you all are just joking.

you guys are intense, hopefully you all are just joking.
We are, like, so hardcore.

While we are joking for the most part, you'll realize in med school that every class has its own personality. For example:

Class of 2009: pseudo-slackers
Class of 2010: more neurotic, throws great parties
Class of 2011: highly more neurotic, large number of Trekkies

Obviously, every class is intelligent...some are just more neurotic about school in general. Neurotic is not necessarily a bad thing, nor does it imply "gunner" in the usual sense. But it does give the class a certain dynamic.

Ok, I made up the part about them being Trekkies. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were true...especially given FCD's penchant for tight silver body suits.

You may be fun, but you always seem to have some goonish looking bf lurking around. Besides, you know the first year schedule better than we know yall's second year schedule. If you wanna hang out, you should just contact one of us every other weekend. Duh!

a) not anymore! goon excised. prognosis: good! :thumbup: :hardy:
b) the problem is, I don't know which weekend is on and which weekend is off! :eek:
c) yes, pap smear = gross. We're all sick of vagina. You will become this way as well soon, young padawan.
d) I want to see this silver bodysuit. Will it remind me of Bowie in Labyrinth?
e) 2009: slackers. 2010: gunners. 2011: nerds. 2012: ???

No. The fact that we don't hang out with you all is WHY we're fun. Your class is way to gunnerish to be fun.

Absolutely not true. Y'all are the gunner class. Who do you talk to from my class anyway to think that we are gunners???

We are, like, so hardcore.

While we are joking for the most part, you'll realize in med school that every class has its own personality. For example:

Class of 2009: pseudo-slackers
Class of 2010: more neurotic, throws great parties
Class of 2011: highly more neurotic, large number of Trekkies

Ok, I made up the part about them being Trekkies. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were true...especially given FCD's penchant for tight silver body suits.

2010: neurotic, gunners, generally too cool for the first years, more intraclass hookups
2011: freakin awesome, we are a bit nerdy, but we throw much sweeter parties (unless you gauge the sweetness of a party by number of hookups... at which point we lose out to 2010)

... and it was a black body suit on Halloween.

a) not anymore! goon excised. prognosis: good! :thumbup: :hardy:
b) the problem is, I don't know which weekend is on and which weekend is off! :eek:
c) yes, pap smear = gross. We're all sick of vagina. You will become this way as well soon, young padawan.
d) I want to see this silver bodysuit. Will it remind me of Bowie in Labyrinth?
e) 2009: slackers. 2010: gunners. 2011: nerds. 2012: ???

b) not this weekend, next weekend, which is also the beginning of spring break for us
d) never seen Labyrinth, but the pics are up on facebook if you wanna facebook stalk me like diosa already does

Absolutely not true. Y'all are the gunner class. Who do you talk to from my class anyway to think that we are gunners???

2010: neurotic, gunners, generally too cool for the first years, more intraclass hookups
2011: freakin awesome, we are a bit nerdy, but we throw much sweeter parties (unless you gauge the sweetness of a party by number of hookups... at which point we lose out to 2010)

... and it was a black body suit on Halloween.

The things I bolded are true. Those in italics are false. You will never be able to top the tequila party. Also, I would just like to point out that while our class was out having fun every weekend, your class's claim to fame is starting their own physical diagnosis club. WOW you guys are gettin' crazy.

Also, who did I hear this from? None other than the deans.

Anyone want to start a Class of 2012 thread? Donnie? Eklillian? Or not yet?

I am guessing 'second batch' acceptances have not been sent out yet????

I am guessing 'second batch' acceptances have not been sent out yet????

Supposedly they were sent out earlier this week... Maybe today will be the day that the second batch starts? Here's hoping that someone hears back today :luck:

Where's my rejection letter? I'm itching for something to burn!

just called the office this morning. everything else is going out today (incl. more acceptances)!

just called the office this morning. everything else is going out today (incl. more acceptances)!

Excellent.... So, I guess they didn't send anything earlier this week?

Where's my rejection letter? I'm itching for something to burn!

haha...yeah I can see how this application process could probably turn some people into pyromaniacs.

I'm almost hoping for the outright rejection rather than the old waitlist, just so I don't get my hopes crushed in May...guess I'll find out Monday or Tuesday.