Dukes Anonymous :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
double post, sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

Got the letter in the Northeast today!!! SOO excited!! I wish it wasn't midterms week so I could celebrate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the letter in the Northeast today!!! SOO excited!! I wish it wasn't midterms week so I could celebrate!

Congrats to the future doctor amers24!

Out of curiosity, when was it postmarked?

I can't really see a postmark? just stamps. The letter was dated March 10th though...

it was dated today???? weird...

nothing in the mail for me... pacific northwest

congratulations to amers24!!!

Too bad that you have midterms! Surely this will make for one hell of a St. Patrick's Day celebration :luck:

ya my letter was dated march 10th too, but i received the packet march 6th.

okay, so they aren't mailing decisions by interview date...

my theory is that it's being done by last name. Why must the end of the alphabet always suffer????

okay, that's enough alphabetical persecution anxiety for me today

Hopefully they meant for the majority of acceptances to go out at/by March 10th and that's why the letters are post-dated. Here's hoping there are still some waiting to be sent or in transit...

congratulations to amers24!!!

Too bad that you have midterms! Surely this will make for one hell of a St. Patrick's Day celebration :luck:

Thanks!!! It will be a fun friday.

Unfortunately, my last name is at the end of the alphabet, so that sort of challenges your theory? I interviewed fairly early though, in December.

Well, it'd be a cruel cruel trick, but I just got an email with information about the Second Look weekend (April 4, btw) and I haven't gotten a letter or phone call or anything!

(*Please* don't be an error/glitch!)

Well, it'd be a cruel cruel trick, but I just got an email with information about the Second Look weekend (April 4, btw) and I haven't gotten a letter or phone call or anything!

(*Please* don't be an error/glitch!)

Hey Raoul, it should be legit. I got the same Second Look e-mail just now, after receiving my official acceptance packet in the mail on Saturday. Yay, congrats! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Raoul, it should be legit. I got the same Second Look e-mail just now, after receiving my official acceptance packet in the mail on Saturday. Yay, congrats! :hardy:

I agree. if you got a second look email, then you are IN!!! Don't worry about not receiving the official letter of acceptance.

I don't know if this helps but I am usu. at the beginning of the alphabet but I interviewed late (2nd week in Feb). So I am not sure if they sent the letters out by alphabetical order of last names or time of interview.

Don't lose hope just yet, guys. A group of students is getting together and calling accepted folks tomorrow and Wednesday, so hopefully by some random chance I'll get to call one of you :)

so no second look email by now = rejection? :confused:

Thanks!

For you still waiting, I'm in the sticks on the West Coast so it's possible that my package was sent in the first wave and still hasn't arrived. So if they're only emailing folks that (by their calculations) should have gotten the envelope then they might be waiting to email folks in the latter waves?

:luck::luck:!!!

Thanks!

For you still waiting, I'm in the sticks on the West Coast so it's possible that my package was sent in the first wave and still hasn't arrived. So if they're only emailing folks that (by their calculations) should have gotten the envelope then they might be waiting to email folks in the latter waves?

:luck::luck:!!!
I highly doubt that second part. I'd imagine no email by now means that Duke ain't interested. :(

So this past Friday I got an email from the financial aid office at WashU that congratulated me on my acceptance BEFORE I actually received my official acceptance lettter (which came on Sunday).

Now the same thing has happened with me and Duke!

I just got an email from Duke with the subject line "Second Look Weekend" that begins "Congratulations on your acceptance to the Duke University School of Medicine!" But I still haven't gotten my acceptance letter in the mail!

I am so happy right now :love:, but also so frustrated that my mail service sucks or something.

I highly doubt that second part. I'd imagine no email by now means that Duke ain't interested. :(

I dunno! Both possibilities are speculation. If it's true that they're sending the mail out in batches, I wouldn't be surprised if the emails come in batches as well.

With 2 yrs of science being squished into one, how rushed does that make it? Is it incredibly stressful?

Also, for the extra third year... what are the contraints? Would a MPH be possible? Or does it have to be research.

Thanks! (sorry if this has been asked before, there are so many pages to go through!)

I dunno! Both possibilities are speculation. If it's true that they're sending the mail out in batches, I wouldn't be surprised if the emails come in batches as well.

i mean its possible that the second batch exists to give people in the late interviews a chance and the emails may come in a second batch as well...ie the top 100 probably went in the first batch and got the email.....but whatever the reason...not getting the email really just makes your heart sink...=( bibi duke

With 2 yrs of science being squished into one, how rushed does that make it? Is it incredibly stressful?

Nope. No more stressful than I hear from students at other places. Definitely cut down to an appropriate amount to cover what's necessary and what's manageable in the time.

Also, for the extra third year... what are the contraints? Would a MPH be possible? Or does it have to be research.

Dual degrees are definitely welcome. Have to submit "quantitative thesis" for credit, but lots do MPH (10+/yr?). There's even some funding for it.

Don't lose hope just yet, guys. A group of students is getting together and calling accepted folks tomorrow and Wednesday, so hopefully by some random chance I'll get to call one of you :)

Yay. Hopefully I'll get a 919 call tomorrow!!

interviews are officially over at duke by now right?

who else got an email?

I got the e-mail today too! i went from no word to multiple notifications in 24 hours.
I hope to get a call tomorrow too... or will you just be calling those of us who haven't gotten letters?

because i know that places like hopkins and harvard do...maybe that can swing a great applicant from "accepted" into "rejected/waitlist"..?

interesting....but it would appear that you should not have got that recommendation from that person in the first place

where have you heard about this calling references thing?

..its just an innocent question. i'm not sure if they do or not. they most definitely do at hopkins (they called mine)..and maybe at harvard

will you be calling overseas applicants too?
When will the last batch of emails be out?

where have you heard about this calling references thing?
It's complete speculation. I do not think Duke routinely calls letter writers. Harvard does so, I believe, only if there is some discrepancy between your interview results.

Current students, can you PLEASE ask if all second-look emails have been sent. I am 99.9% ready to give up hope, but suppose that there could be some small chance that they did stagger both the physical envelopes and the accepted emails. Like they say, denial is not just a river in Egypt!

It's complete speculation. I do not think Duke routinely calls letter writers. Harvard does so, I believe, only if there is some discrepancy between your interview results.

Current students, can you PLEASE ask if all second-look emails have been sent. I am 99.9% ready to give up hope, but suppose that there could be some small chance that they did stagger both the physical envelopes and the accepted emails. Like they say, denial is not just a river in Egypt!

DulyNoted, I really like your optimism!! I also haven't heard anything at all so am really starting to give up. But there's that tiny flicker of hope still alive..Best of luck to you!

Yes, if the current students could let us know about how the whole acceptances/emails going out in batches thing that would be great!! Thanks!

helloy: both? no idea. lets drop it :)

DulyNoted, I really like your optimism!! I also haven't heard anything at all so am really starting to give up. But there's that tiny flicker of hope still alive..Best of luck to you!

Yes, if the current students could let us know about how the whole acceptances/emails going out in batches thing that would be great!! Thanks!

I agree... so that we can plan things better and make well-informed decisions. Many of my urgent plans depend on some sort of a decision from Duke.

How 'bout other acceptees, did you guys all receive the email?

No email and no letter. I interviewed back in early December. Oh well. :(

Guys, they still have interviews tomorrow so there will be a 2nd batch of acceptances. Lets not loose hope yet.

OK... whoa... TIME OUT PEOPLE!!!

1) Last day of interviews was supposed to be today. I'm pretty sure it was as I stopped in to chat it up with RW, and I think he confirmed.
2) I already told y'all that the acceptances were going out in batches so stop freaking out. I know you would not be on SDN were you not inclined to freak out (much like myself), but I'm telling you there are two rounds. Give it a few days. Try to relax. Maybe you will get a call/email/package one of these days. If not, there is always room for people to get in off of the WL (just look at yours truly).

In summary, don't freak out. Don't worry, be happy.

Um... how come I was not invited to this??? :(

OK... whoa... TIME OUT PEOPLE!!!

1) Last day of interviews was supposed to be today. I'm pretty sure it was as I stopped in to chat it up with RW, and I think he confirmed.
2) I already told y'all that the acceptances were going out in batches so stop freaking out. I know you would not be on SDN were you not inclined to freak out (much like myself), but I'm telling you there are two rounds. Give it a few days. Try to relax. Maybe you will get a call/email/package one of these days. If not, there is always room for people to get in off of the WL (just look at yours truly).

In summary, don't freak out. Don't worry, be happy.

I started to freak out a little bit, hearing about the second look emails, but that makes me feel better:oops: If I could just get myself off this website it would make the wait so much less painful...but I have no self-control.

How 'bout other acceptees, did you guys all receive the email?

I received the letter March 8th (my birthday :)), it was also dated March 10th on the letter (someone else mentioned that), regular mail (there were stamps), and I received the Second Look Weekend e-mail. Good luck!

I received the letter March 8th (my birthday :)), it was also dated March 10th on the letter (someone else mentioned that), regular mail (there were stamps), and I received the Second Look Weekend e-mail. Good luck!

Looks like I wasn't in the first batch. Sad, I wonder why if I was accepted why would I be in a different batch. Maybe it was just random.. o well.. Hopefully I'll atleast get waitlisted the I can send in all my "I love Duke" letters!