Dukes Anonymous :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*Hugs Bunny*

Its actually possible that there are some kids coming off the waitlists that already got into a school they like better. Its also possible that today they only did international students and havent finalized their decisions for everyone else. Maybe they were still processing the students who wrote in at 4:50 on thursday to decline acceptances, so there's spots open that the committee hasn't had time to look at.

Maybe

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I just got into wake forest

Congratulations!
Dancing_Banana.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks bunny. That puts me at 2/3 for my total waitlists...one more to go...

has anyone else (or has anyone heard of someone else) gotten into duke today?

why is may 16th on a friday!?! :(

Im curious if any non-international applicants have heard anything.

Or any other applicants at all.

Nova could be the one early call this time around

The admissions office said that there were a couple acceptances today and that they'd be continuing next week. I don't know why they'd stagger them like that, but that's what we were told. All we can do is hope that there'll be more acceptances soon...

I called and was told that there'd be no more calls today, but that there would be more next week. I recall that, earlier this year, there was a fiasco with admissions constantly promising more acceptances on their way. I'm pretty much giving up.

I feel you bunny...maybe now it's time for us to do damage control and try to not hate that second choice...

'Love for one is hatred for all..?'

I would hate to have to reapply and spend all that money again and lose a year. Nova, did you do a regional interview or did you go to Durham?

Brock, I feel for you. I'm seriously crossing my fingers that things will work out. I went to Durham for my interview.

Keep the hope guys, at least for Monday and Tuesday.... If at that point you need to commit to another school, go for it, but just keep those fingers crossed for a few more days.

And congrats LP for your Wake acceptance! :banana:

And I think it could be possible that this is an international thing, because my theory always was that I would only get into Duke off the waitlist if another international kid withdrew (since their international matriculants hover between 4-6 every year).

The admissions office said that there were a couple acceptances today and that they'd be continuing next week. I don't know why they'd stagger them like that, but that's what we were told. All we can do is hope that there'll be more acceptances soon...

They probably assume there will be more people coming off next week because most schools will start taking people off their waitlists by Monday, and people who have committed to Duke might get off waitlists elsewhere and withdraw.

BTW, there are people in my class who came off the waitlist in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
And congrats LP for your Wake acceptance! :banana:

Even if i dont get duke, i can run over and set all the equipment you're about to use to my height level.

BWAHAHAHAHA

(there are few greater joys than adding a legitimate bwa in front of a hahahaha)

Even if i dont get duke, i can run over and set all the equipment you're about to use to my height level.

BWAHAHAHAHA

(there are few greater joys than adding a legitimate bwa in front of a hahahaha)

I heard a rumor that there were only about 80 spots taken in the class on May 15th. So chances are, people will be hearing stuff next week. Then again, this is only a rumor.

I heard a rumor that there were only about 80 spots taken in the class on May 15th. So chances are, people will be hearing stuff next week. Then again, this is only a rumor.

Hmm, I heard the same rumor this morning.

Okey-dokey hopeful Dukies... The game isn't over until we DECIDE that it's over. After all, tomorrow is another day.

Okey-dokey hopeful Dukies... The game isn't over until we DECIDE that it's over. After all, tomorrow is another day.

Haha thats right. Just start showing up to classes. Sure, they'll kick you out or have you arrested a few times, but soon they'll buckle and let you pay tuition.

My bet still stands. 2 calls. Monday. Wet pants. Rock n Roll.

For those of you who are in the school, what were/are your plans for the 3rd year? How many of your classmates were/are interested in the MPP option?

More adventures of SBBunny...

Bunny goes to an off-off-off-(off?) Broadway show
So, I didn't want to just sit around in my apartment reading a book or listening to public radio on a Saturday night. I had heard some good stuff about this random theatre group and decided that I wanted to go. I went allll the way downtown to get to the theatre. A sizable line had formed in front of the door. I stood in line, got to the end of the line, and then asked for a ticket. I was told that the show had sold out, but that they could put me on the waiting list. That's right, I AM ONCE AGAIN WAITLISTED. I had no idea this production was so popular that I needed to buy tickets in advance... I mean, a teeny theatre production being sold out? They put my name on the waitlist I am the second name on the list, right after "Dan R (party of three)" (I guess that made me the fourth person on the list?). I explained my situation to the person selling tickets (how I applied to medical school and was waitlisted at a bajillion places). He apologized and told me to wait outside to be called. So, I stood outside the door as more and more people came in. Patrons going in and out for cigarettes tried not to look at me as I pitifully walked in little circles in front of the door. One older gentlemen (the owner of the theatre or something) said that he was sure that my patience would pay off. I kept waiting and pacing. I went in again to remind the ticket person that I was still hoping to see the show- he once again told me to wait outside and said that he was pretty sure he could get me in. I kept waiting... and waiting... and waiting until I heard an announcement that the show was about to start. The owner (or whatever) finally motioned that I could go in. The ticket guy said that I might have to stand, but that I could see the show. I did end up finding a seat.

So. I did get off of ONE waitlist. Sadly, this was not a particularly important waitlist. Maybe this is a portent of good things to come?

Maybe this is a portent of good things to come?

Let's hope so.

For those of you who are in the school, what were/are your plans for the 3rd year? How many of your classmates were/are interested in the MPP option?

Regarding the MPP, I don't know of anyone personally in our class who's going that route, but I'm sure they are out there. By comparison, there is a lot of interest in the UNC MPH program, myself included. I'm wavering between doing the MPH degree and doing clinical research in the (sadly very competitive) specialty I'm currently interested in.

I'm going to the NIH through the NIH-CRTP. One student in our class (that I know of) is doing the MPP, several are doing the MPH or MBA, and I can think of one that is going to law school.

I know there is a third year who is doing an MPP at Harvard, but I don't know of anyone doing it at Duke currently.

Wonderful. Duke v Hopkins in the lax semis next weekend. Who the hell do I root for??

Well I mean I go to Hop, but all my years of being a tar heel fan and beating duke twice in national championships, im wondering if i should try and realign some karma here.

I'm doing clinical research here through the CRTP-Roadmap, which is similar to the NIH CRTP and we get our funding through the NIH but it's for people who stay at Duke. Our classmates got a lot of scholarships, which is awesome. There are several doing the MBA (at least a couple of which got merit scholarships) and a few more doing the MPH.

The Doctor, what field are you interested in?

So.... I just got into Columbia. 5pm today :eek:

I love y'all. I really do... but I think that I'm going to have to take the offer. Duke is an AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING place but I don't think that I'm ready to leave New York (and I'm not ready to leave Columbia either). This is a ridiculously hard decision, but the past few weeks have just convinced me that this city is my home. Thank you all for all of your help. You're all going to be fantastic doctors and I'll be proud to call you colleagues. Alright, enough sappiness. GOOD LUCK :luck::banana::luck::banana::luck:

Congrats bunny, im really glad things worked out for you. It must feel weird to not be waitlisted in everything ever any more. For what its worth, you'll always be on the waitlist in my heart.

I dont know how to make the dancing banana. But rest assured, it's peanut butter jelly time.

CONGRATS Bunny!!!!:banana:

Now I hope DUKE has more love for me!

So.... I just got into Columbia. 5pm today :eek:

I love y'all. I really do... but I think that I'm going to have to take the offer. Duke is an AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING place but I don't think that I'm ready to leave New York (and I'm not ready to leave Columbia either). This is a ridiculously hard decision, but the past few weeks have just convinced me that this city is my home. Thank you all for all of your help. You're all going to be fantastic doctors and I'll be proud to call you colleagues. Alright, enough sappiness. GOOD LUCK :luck::banana::luck::banana::luck:

Congrats. Your application was clearly awesome given how many interviews at great places that you got. did you write the letter of intent to columbia? just curious to see if that made any difference.

Just trying to keep this thread alive. I wonder how many people were let off the waitlist on Friday (current DukeMed students, do any of you know the answer to this?) and when (or if) they plan on accepting more people this week. I am still praying hard for Duke.

Just trying to keep this thread alive. I wonder how many people were let off the waitlist on Friday (current DukeMed students, do any of you know the answer to this?) and when (or if) they plan on accepting more people this week. I am still praying hard for Duke.

yea, have any current students heard anymore "rumors"? i feel like getting off the waitlist is like winning at the craps table in vegas.

THANK YOU ALL for your incredibly kind congratulations! I've officially withdrawn from Duke and really hope that one of you gets a life-changing call real soon. Remember that the admissions office said that they'd still be making calls this week, so you have NO reason to lose hope!!!!!!!

~:luck: :banana: :luck:~

Remember that the admissions office said that they'd still be making calls this week, so you have NO reason to lose hope!!!!!!!

Thats what i kept trying to tell you!!

I just gave them a ring. "The class is not full at this time"

Lolla: who did you talk to? those words are music to my wait list muffled ears.

I didn't get a name. It was a female voice, and id assume it was whoever was working the front desk at the time.

I also asked if I was allowed to know how many spots were left, but that info is a bit above my paygrade, as it were.

I see, I guess even if we don't hit the dukejackpot on this first wave, there is always hope for the next few weeks.

One in a million?...so you're telling me there's a chance!?!

I know someone who just got in... so I guess they are still giving acceptances out.

FCD, did this person get in today or on Friday?

I know someone who just got in... so I guess they are still giving acceptances out.

i think that this thread (hope) is going to be the death of all of us...i bet you we're all refreshing this thread hoping to read good news (then checking email, and cell phone for messages)

"Insider information acceptances will be sent out Friday of this week"

and dreading to read

"i know someone who just got in..."

I know I am.

agreed.

if you ever get nervous that the ship sailed, just call in and ask if the class is full yet. they were really friendly to me.

Perhaps they are deciding on which waitlisters to accept early this week and there will be some more news later this week.

its still early in the week. my spurs just won game seven against the hornets to advance to the NBA western conference finals. i think thats a good omen for all of us. stay positive.

its still early in the week.... stay positive.

Yep, it's not over 'til the fat lady sings, or in your case, dnagyrase, when ciprofloxacin sings... hehe... okay perhaps not so funny, but when doing an autopsy report at 3 am, you gotta find humor somewhere. :luck: