Dukes Anonymous :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For some reason im getting a good vibe. Yknow, one of those vibes where you tell math and logic to shut their mouths and let you keep it real.

Good for you :). It's weird how powerful optimism can be.

That said, I'm not optimistic at all. I'm going through the motions- I've got my phone perched constantly at my side "just in case," I've been sending letters, etc... but I know it's not going to happen. I went into the interview day feeling pretty much hopeless for my prospects at Duke and came out feeling no more optimistic. The interview day fanfare made me feel proud of myself for even being invited, so I did perk up a little, but I was still absolutely NOT psychologically ready for my interviews. I guess pessimism is pretty powerful too...

WOW that was depressing. Yikes. Sorry guys.

Members don't see this ad.

If it helps at all, I didn't even get interviews at much lesser schools than Duke, and was rejected following interviews at others, so you never know...

Duke was the only out of state interview that I got... but I'm from Texas... if that means anything to you... and I didn't get into Baylor... even though my sister goes there... and she and all of her friends said I was a shoe in... but then I got into Duke so go figure right?

Oh ya... and it was the only school that I got an interview at but I didn't get accepted. Whatever... shows them. How was that MSAR ranking? Ya... that's what I thought. OK that was mean... I apologize.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK Guardian Angel, you redeemed yourself with that post. We can be friends :)

I'm cautiously and realistically optimistic, but I don't want to psych myself up too much as I think it just increases the disappointment if things don't work out.... But I do believe in the power of positivity, for sure!

Oh man, I saw the saddest documentary on the Aussie-run fistula hospital in Ethiopia. Even though all three of the cases they followed were 'happy endings,' tears were literally streaming down my face. Check it out--it's called Walk to Beautiful and it was on Nova channel (I can't be bothered to figure out how to put hyperlinks in like some of you other geniuses!).

And that, my friends, is my 100th post--75 of which are probably on this thread! Crazy!

Duke was the only out of state interview that I got... but I'm from Texas... if that means anything to you... and I didn't get into Baylor... even though my sister goes there... and she and all of her friends said I was a shoe in... but then I got into Duke so go figure right?

Oh ya... and it was the only school that I got an interview at but I didn't get accepted. Whatever... shows them. How was that MSAR ranking? Ya... that's what I thought. OK that was mean... I apologize.

Great food at the interview day though! Much better than Duke!

Thanks for the kind words, guys :). Duke was one of nine waitlists for me (only one post-interview acceptance and one post-interview rejection). Optimism is tough to muster sometimes.

We'll see what happens in the next several days... Good luck, fellow waitlistees :luck::luck::luck:

Great food at the interview day though! Much better than Duke!
Duke was one of my favorite interview day lunches (possibly #1). EVERYTHING HAD BACON IN IT :D. Who knew that bacon had a place in potato salad, broccoli salad, and many of the sandwich options?

I heard about A Walk to Beautiful a little while ago, wanted to see it, but never got around to going. I'll definitely check it out- thanks, nova.

ONE day (again, hopefully) everyone! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

:banana:

As far as food goes, Miami Miller had catered chinese food with fortune cookies. I thought those were awfully ominous, but it would have been hilarious to put our decisions in them.

My interview breakdown was also strange. I got an interview from hopkins right away, and a late one from duke, then nothing from any middle/upper middle ranked school save wakeforest, then miami/drexel/umdnj.

with duke, i got a 'not at this time' first, then they changed their minds right before christmas. I went into it not expecting to be taken seriously, but then i had a good faculty and a great student interview, and have been on the edge of optimism ever since.

Don't worry bunny...my lack of knowledge of anything about you gives me no reason to think you wont be the first one in, so i'm going to go ahead and assume its true until proven otherwise. And thus, your pessimism is defeated.

Would anybody else like their pessimism defeated?

As far as food goes, Miami Miller had catered chinese food with fortune cookies. I thought those were awfully ominous, but it would have been hilarious to put our decisions in them.

My interview breakdown was also strange. I got an interview from hopkins right away, and a late one from duke, then nothing from any middle/upper middle ranked school save wakeforest, then miami/drexel/umdnj.

with duke, i got a 'not at this time' first, then they changed their minds right before christmas. I went into it not expecting to be taken seriously, but then i had a good faculty and a great student interview, and have been on the edge of optimism ever since.

Don't worry bunny...my lack of knowledge of anything about you gives me no reason to think you wont be the first one in, so i'm going to go ahead and assume its true until proven otherwise. And thus, your pessimism is defeated.

Would anybody else like their pessimism defeated?

I wonder how Duke decides what order to accept people off of the waitlist. Do the calls go out in alphabetical order? By region? By interview date? Do they start out with the applicants that they're most enthusiastic about? Is it completely random? I don't suppose we'll ever know (unless someone ends up on the Duke adcom at some point).

Yeah, my interview invitation from Duke came after the "not at this time" message (I think that it was a Saturday too!). It was such an unexpected surprise! I asked the office if the interview invite had been a mistake and they said that I'd never actually been rejected- the first message had been a glitch. So, if anyone had the initial rejection message on their status page, know that your interview invitation was JUST as serious as everyone else's. After being rejected from Duke and then waitlisted... seems like an acceptance is the next logical step :p. Those of us who had the initial rejection message (and were later invited to interview, but waitlisted) will have the distinction of receiving a rejection, waitlist, AND acceptance from Duke!

Here's hoping for lots of awesome, status-changing phone calls tomorrow :luck: :banana: :luck:

Yeah, I guess we just need acceptances for a complete collection. I wonder how much the whole set goes for on ebay?

I didn't call about it because i didn't want to know which time was the mistake. But id much prefer being rejected first and accepted last than the other way around

Bunny, please let us know on this thread if you get a phone call about your other waitlists, okay? I will most definitely shower you with dancing bananas and share in your excitement!

Bunny, please let us know on this thread if you get a phone call about your other waitlists, okay? I will most definitely shower you with dancing bananas and share in your excitement!

Heh, I'll let y'all know :banana:

Thanks for the kind words, guys :). Duke was one of nine waitlists for me (only one post-interview acceptance and one post-interview rejection). Optimism is tough to muster sometimes.

my twin!!! haha ... one post-interview acceptance, one post-interview rejection, ELEVEN post-interview waitlists (withdrew from 6)

and we're both on columbia and duke .... hahaha danget ....

Members don't see this ad :)
my twin!!! haha ... one post-interview acceptance, one post-interview rejection, ELEVEN post-interview waitlists (withdrew from 6)

and we're both on columbia and duke .... hahaha danget ....

Application twin powers... ACTIVATE! There's gotta be good stuff coming our way, kuhlguy! :luck:

OK, I looked the website up and had to share with you all because it turns out you can watch the documentary online. Maybe it'll kill some time before the calls start coming, and it is really so well done: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/beautiful/program.html

Thank you, nova! I'm absolutely going to watch it.

Oh- Dunkin Donuts has free iced coffee tomorrow. Yay sugar and caffeine :hardy:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :luck::luck::luck:. Let's hope that tomorrow's our day!

SBBunny and Kuhlguy, you've gotta get good news from at least one of those dozen waitlists. I mean, it must be a near mathematic certainty, no? Sheesh. GOOD LUCK and keep us all updated :luck:

I don't know if it means anything, but all of us med students are really rooting for you guys. You all are going to do great wherever you go and make great doctors in the end, which is what really matters...but of course, I hope you all get in :)

Cue dancing bananas.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I don't know if it means anything, but all of us med students are really rooting for you guys.

MrBurns, it seriously means a ton! Thanks to you, FCD, Pagemmapants, theDoctor, nevercold, and I guess even GuardianAngel, for being so incredibly supportive on this thread. (Sorry to any Dukies that I missed!) I lurked for about two years on SDN, too embarrassed to join a "lame online forum"--but I'm so glad I came out of the woodwork because it has made this past year of waiting a whole lot better. Aw, cue sappy music!

Are we still running the poll? I'm going to guess that 2 kids get in, with calls on monday the 19th. I'm not going to say which two.

I also bet that one of them will wet theirself. I'm not going to say which one.

I actually would wet myself, or at least cry, but I think you're referring to Bunny!

Aghh, still no news? I keep checking back every day - this waiting is killing even me.

:luck::luck:

Aghh, still no news? I keep checking back every day - this waiting is killing even me.
You know, we've never met and I have no idea what you look like, but if you've been to either of the lunch discussions this week, I'm the brunette who's been talking to you first years. I'm also doing it again tomorrow if you're going to that one. Gotta love radiology, giving me the chance for a free lunch 3 times this week!

Thanks for the good faith doc. My friends are probably worried about me by now, because I sound so disappointed on the phone when i see it was only them calling.

You know, we've never met and I have no idea what you look like, but if you've been to either of the lunch discussions this week, I'm the brunette who's been talking to you first years. I'm also doing it again tomorrow if you're going to that one. Gotta love radiology, giving me the chance for a free lunch 3 times this week!

She's the brunette with CURLY hair.

Just b/c I volunteered to go to lunch tomorrow and I don't want anyone mistaking me for you... gross.

:luck: everyone waiting

Hey - yeah, I'll be going tomorrow actually and looking forward to it. I am ALL about the free food. I'll be sure to be on the lookout for you.

Thanks for the good faith doc. My friends are probably worried about me by now, because I sound so disappointed on the phone when i see it was only them calling.

Haha, I know EXACTLY what you mean; this time last year I was literally sleeping with my cellphone.

MrBurns, it seriously means a ton! Thanks to you, FCD, Pagemmapants, theDoctor, nevercold, and I guess even GuardianAngel, for being so incredibly supportive on this thread...

I guess you're welcome.

Just b/c I volunteered to go to lunch tomorrow and I don't want anyone mistaking me for you... gross.
Ah, so there might be 4 of us then because two of the others that did it today said they'd go tomorrow. It's fun, food and scaring the first years for free!

Aww, MAJOR thanks to all the current Dukies (and the couple of MS-0's that check in every so often). I'm also very grateful to have y'all keeping up with this thread.

Now, let's not make assumptions. Lollapaluzzi predicted two people would be accepted and that one would flip out... He might have been talking about himself ;). If I get in, I'll probably be super-duper awkward on the phone with the admissions staff and then remain in a catatonic shock for a while. The calls seem to happen during the day, when I'm at work, and I'd rather not make a huge scene in front of my coworkers. I'd celebrate by making an Excel spreadsheet of housing options in Durham, sending out withdrawal emails (with a super-long, incredibly grateful email to Rochester), and booking an exotic summer vacation. My family's in various parts of Europe right now, so I'd have to email them the news...

What do you think y'all would do to celebrate a Duke acceptance?

I would ask whomever called to hold for one second, then proceed to jump in the air to yell and give an epic fist pump. However, I would only get out half a yell at which point my head would slam into the ceiling, knocking me unconscious. I would awaken in a strip club with my head bleeding, asking the stripper to name five animals to test my cognitive skills. I would also have a limp and a new, edgy attitude.

Given how often i hit my head, its amazing im still smart enough to go to med school.

What would I do, Bunny? I would cry. I will cry. Either way. Because the crazy crazy thing is that within the next few days I will know if I am going to med school this year (since tomorrow is D-day for my "state" school in Canada :eek:). So for all y'all that already have an acceptance, I hope you can spare a little good karma to send my way, since it really is make it or break it for me tomorrow (and potentially the 16th/19th for Duke). Oh man, my palms are sweating just thinking about it....

Good luck all :luck:

I'd celebrate by making an Excel spreadsheet of housing options in Durham

Haha, this is so YOU! :laugh: Love it. (BTW, have any of you guys checked out Office 2003? You can make the coolest graphs in Excel, not to mention the incredible graphics in PowerPoint. But I swear, I'm really not a hardcore nerd! :cool:)

I would ask whomever called to hold for one second, then proceed to jump in the air to yell and give an epic fist pump. However, I would only get out half a yell at which point my head would slam into the ceiling, knocking me unconscious. I would awaken in a strip club with my head bleeding, asking the stripper to name five animals to test my cognitive skills. I would also have a limp and a new, edgy attitude.

Given how often i hit my head, its amazing im still smart enough to go to med school.

Perhaps you could try to stay in rooms with really tall ceilings? Yikes, with your tendency toward concussions and nova's weak heart (and, I suppose, the suggestion that some unidentified individual may be in need of a urology/psych consult), this thread might get pretty scary. We want to be admitted Duke medical students, not patients admitted to one of the hospital wards at Duke.

What would I do, Bunny? I would cry. I will cry. Either way. Because the crazy crazy thing is that within the next few days I will know if I am going to med school this year (since tomorrow is D-day for my "state" school in Canada :eek:). So for all y'all that already have an acceptance, I hope you can spare a little good karma to send my way, since it really is make it or break it for me tomorrow (and potentially the 16th/19th for Duke). Oh man, my palms are sweating just thinking about it....

Good luck all :luck:

:luck: :banana: :luck::luck: :banana: :luck: A special good luck for you, nova! Just one important note- the next couple of days AREN'T make or break for Duke- acceptances definitely continue throughout the summer (as late as July).

Yikes, with your tendency toward concussions and nova's weak heart (and, I suppose, the suggestion that some unidentified individual may be in need of a urology/psych consult), this thread might get pretty scary. We want to be admitted Duke medical students, not patients admitted to one of the hospital wards at Duke.

Heheh. Could indeed be scary. Just to be clear though, I don't actually have a weak heart (i.e. Duke, don't worry, it won't be necessary to admit me to the cardiac ICU after my first ER shift), it only seems that way recently with all this admissions angst!

:luck: :banana: :luck::luck: :banana: :luck: A special good luck for you, nova! Just one important note- the next couple of days AREN'T make or break for Duke- acceptances definitely continue throughout the summer (as late as July).

Thanks Bunny! And you're right, it won't be over for Duke if I don't get a call in the next few days--I'll just know whether I have to reapply or not. FINGERS CROSSED that that won't be necessary :luck::luck::luck:

haha i was hoping somebody would get the House reference. oh well. I probably wont jump and hit my head (although i could if i wanted to). My concussions will more than likely come from banging my head against the wall in the meanwhile.

in all earnestness, whoever wins the pool should probably win an acceptance. It's only fair. I mean, we're not even betting odds.

Good luck guys (and Nova especially with your Canadian school as well!)! I hope to have you as classmates cause you seem awesome!! Remember, tomorrow is not the end... if the calls don't come right away, don't give up!
:luck::luck::luck:

I would awaken in a strip club with my head bleeding, asking the stripper to name five animals to test my cognitive skills. I would also have a limp and a new, edgy attitude.

I saw this episode on House on Monday night and really enjoyed it ... normally it's too over the top for me to watch, but I got hooked. Too bad it was a two-parter though - life will have once again degraded into a study-fest by next Monday. Med school isn't really conducive to serialized programming.:(

Haha, I only now got the House reference! I was wondering why you were talking of limps and edgy attitudes, LP! And yes, I am always this slow on the uptake!

And thanks for the good wishes, guys :)

:banana:May 15th!!!:banana: Good luck y'all!

not to get too off topic but have y'all seen the Cleveland Clinic full scholarhship announcement fro all their students (including the incoming class)? I hope that opens up a couple more spots at Duke for us.

This process is so surreal.

:luck: :banana: :luck: Best of luck everyone!!!! :banana: :luck: :banana:

I've had an unlucky night/morning. The wireless connection in my apartment was NOT working last night. I tried to go to bed early (~12:45am), but I kept waking up in the middle of the night. I got out of bed about two hours before I had planned to wake up, eager to get my free iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts- I decided to get one after I got to work. I had to wait on the subway platform for at least fifteen minutes- (5) trains were running on the (2) track because of "an investigation/incident," and for some reason, (1) trains (I take the (1)) were mega-delayed. I got to my stop and walked the ~3 blocks uptown to my Dunkin Donuts. It was closed with a sign saying "Temporarily closed." I decide to walk downtown until I pass by the next Dunkin Donuts (at this point, I'm DETERMINED to get my free coffee + not-free donut). About 8 blocks later, I find the next Dunkin Donuts (ah, America). I go in, ready to get my coffee. Turns out that they don't start giving free iced coffee until 10am (it was ~9am at that point). Defeated (and really pretty hungry), I walk back to work, getting a carrot muffin and instant hot cocoa at my favorite bakery on the way. I'm hoping that my day gets better.

I know that may 15th is the big date everybody talks about, but didnt one student say probably not till monday?

Bunny, 8 blocks between dunkin donuts? you probably passed 3 or 4 starbucks on the way!

not to get too off topic but have y'all seen the Cleveland Clinic full scholarhship announcement fro all their students (including the incoming class)? I hope that opens up a couple more spots at Duke for us.

They actually did it, huh? Something tells me it's going to become a trend.

My phone has been silent all day.

Facebook Tally (May 11 --> May 13 --> May 15)
-Duke Medical 2012: 29 members --> 37 --> 37 (class of 98 people)
-Columbia Medical 2012: 51 members --> 54 --> 56 (class of 155 people)
-Harvard Medical 2012: 85 members --> 87 --> 91 (class of 165 people)
-Yale Medical 2012: 24 members --> 26 --> 26 (class of 99 people)
-Stanford Medical 2012: 62 members --> 62 --> 61 (class of 86 people)
-Mayo Medical 2012: 30 members --> 31 --> 34 (class of 43 people)

No notable change in the Duke group membership.

Duke Decisions Prediction:
0 acceptances: Brock Samson
1 acceptance: SBBunny (phone calls around 2pm on the 5/16)
2 acceptances: lollapaluzzi (5/19)
3 acceptance: nova1983 (5/16)

Here's hoping we're all wrong and there's 4+ acceptances today!