Dumb Question about AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgil

Hi hi!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is this: can I make a login at aamc.org and begin filling out my AMCAS now? I want to add activities/update things so I don't forget come application time and I would like to become acquainted with its format. If I start filling out the AMCAS, would I start some irreversible process that would force me to apply this cycle? How does it work--is AMCAS an online application? I plan on applying in 2008 or possibly 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don't submit your entries, you will be fine!!!! Good idea to get acquainted with the format; I would also suggest to write your personal statement and blurbs about the activities, in advance, but you are certainly starting very early. Some people are submitting their applications as we speak for 2008 entry...

Can I "add" the schools I want to apply to as well? I constantly learn about certain schools from friends or online that seem like a good fit for me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Your information will be deleted when the next cycle starts (May, 2008). But you can create a fake login and check it out.

You sure can do anything you wish...just do NOT submit the application. I would also suggest you start researching about the schools...there are 126 schools that you may want to read more about before time comes to apply next year in June ( see the list on the aamc website under medical schools). It took me over one month ( that was intensive work by the way) to read over the schools I was thinking of applying....

Also..write your mcat early if you haven't done so already

Your information will be deleted when the next cycle starts (May, 2008). But you can create a fake login and check it out.

Right, you'll have to wait till the "AMCAS 2009" app comes out next april/may to start an actual application. Right now only the 2008 entering class is available online. Good luck!

Right, you'll have to wait till the "AMCAS 2009" app comes out next april/may to start an actual application. Right now only the 2008 entering class is available online. Good luck!
Does the application change drastically from year to year?

If you want to go ahead and get acquainted with AMCAS go ahead and do so, but it's not really that long or difficult to fill out. I thought about doing the same thing last year, but people (who, come to find out, are a lot smarter than I am) suggested I focus instead on getting recommendations and doing the first few drafts of the personal statement. Those would probably be better uses of your time, but if you want to check AMCAS out to learn the format, figuring out what you're going to put down for your activities, etc., it couldn't hurt. But for the love of God, just don't hit submit!!!

There's like an AMCAS .pdf file worksheet with all the AMCAS questions and information it asks for (and another file of instructions). Better to just download that, save it somewhere safe or print it if you really want to know what it's like filling out the forms. No real reason to actually create a login name.

There's like an AMCAS .pdf file worksheet with all the AMCAS questions and information it asks for (and another file of instructions). Better to just download that, save it somewhere safe or print it if you really want to know what it's like filling out the forms. No real reason to actually create a login name.
I found the worksheet, but it doesn't look like it does any justice to the real thing...if I make a login and enter all my classes, will it calculate my GPA or do I have to press "submit" before it does that?

I found the worksheet, but it doesn't look like it does any justice to the real thing...if I make a login and enter all my classes, will it calculate my GPA or do I have to press "submit" before it does that?

you only get your gpa after you submit, but i think there are some amcas gpa calculators out there...

I think you are a little too worried about the AMCAS. It really isn't that hard to fill out and plus there are many other things you could be doing to prepare for the admission cycle (researching schools, studying MCAT, getting LOR, writing PS, just to name a few). Good luck.

I think you are a little too worried about the AMCAS. It really isn't that hard to fill out and plus there are many other things you could be doing to prepare for the admission cycle (researching schools, studying MCAT, getting LOR, writing PS, just to name a few). Good luck.
I'm not really worried about the AMCAS, but thanks for the advice. I now have my own little "AMCAS" which I perpetually fill with activities/schools I wish to apply to. Thanks everyone.

you only get your gpa after you submit, but i think there are some amcas gpa calculators out there...

There are definitely some out there if you search this forum. It's not hard to do yourself, though. I did mine just fine. A/A+ = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, etc... Takes ~20 minutes, but at least you know where you stand before submitting.:)