Dumb Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatOne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...but I'm too sick to successfully find the answer though searches, my google-fu is weakened by this damnable head cold.

So. When withdrawing, to whom does one address the email? The director? The administrator? Both? And where the heck do you find this sort of stuff out, so I needn't embarrass myself again in the future?

I assume the message itself should be something like what they send us when we're being rejected -- you're great, the choice has been difficult, but the best match for me is elsewhere, thanks for your time...

Members don't see this ad.

...but I'm too sick to successfully find the answer though searches, my google-fu is weakened by this damnable head cold.

So. When withdrawing, to whom does one address the email? The director? The administrator? Both? And where the heck do you find this sort of stuff out, so I needn't embarrass myself again in the future?

I assume the message itself should be something like what they send us when we're being rejected -- you're great, the choice has been difficult, but the best match for me is elsewhere, thanks for your time...

Why not just call? Or, you can just ignore them until they break up with you. This works on girlfriends too.

/jk

Calling wouldn't work for a little while because I've actually lost my voice. =P

Seriously, I think I'm just trying to put it off, just like someone in a relationship who doesn't want to hurt their significant other's feelings. I'll man up and just hit that send button and then go back to sleep. Just ignoring them could be a bad idea, they know where I live. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I send formal letters via snail mail addressed to the directors.

I have sent e-mails to whoever sent me the acceptance (sometimes administrators, such as Cornell, sometimes the director, such as in NYU's case)

Send an email to the administrator or director; programs appreciate prompt notification of your decision. If they want a formal letter, they will tell you.

Do not worry about hurting the administrator's/director's feelings: they have none. Rejection in the name of the game; they sent out hundreds of rejection letters a year and it is only fair that they get some in return. Prompt notification of your decline will help out your fellow applicants tremendously. Your decline can free up a position for someone parked on a waitlist. They would be very happy if you declined in February rather than April.

Congratulations on your acceptances!