During an interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lane

Passing gas
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...a doctor was asking me about my clinical experience at a PT clinic in the Cooper Aerobics Center in Dallas. I told him that we had some famous clientelle, with a few pro athletes, political figures, and diplomats just to name a few. I went into my duties and my experiences...blah blah blah...after which he asked me to name a few of the famous clients I had seen.

Well, I said I didn't think that would be appropriate because of confidentiality policies.

Akward silence as he gave me a look something like
b.gif
wtf.gif

He asked me if the majority of the patients were more affluent. I said there were a fair share of less fortunate individuals, but that the majority were doing pretty well for themselves. He then asked me again who some of the more well off patients were, and again I politely declined. He looked at me a little puzzled, almost slightly frustrated, but then moved on.

Do yall think I was in the right by not telling him the patients' names or did I screw myself by being idealistic?

happysad.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I would've done the same. But is it really necessary to mention that some famous people go there? I've learned not to mention things that I don't particularly want to describe in detail during an interview.

Yea...you shouldn't have mentioned the famous people in the first place, it is only going to lead into the question of "oh yea, like who?".....putting you in an awkward situation.

As far as i know the Cooper Aerobics Center is a glorified rec center/gym....I would have mentioned a name or 2 after he asked me the second time....but hey, he might be impressed that you held up the confidentiality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by acab
I would've done the same. But is it really necessary to mention that some famous people go there? I've learned not to mention things that I don't particularly want to describe in detail during an interview.

when i told him i worked at Cooper, he jokingly said "oh, that's where all the rich and famous people go to get in shape..."

i said "yeah, we do get a few famous people coming through the doors every now and then"

:)

Originally posted by lane
...a doctor was asking me about my clinical experience at a PT clinic in the Cooper Aerobics Center in Dallas. I told him that we had some famous clientelle, with a few pro athletes, political figures, and diplomats just to name a few. I went into my duties and my experiences...blah blah blah...after which he asked me to name a few of the famous clients I had seen.

Well, I said I didn't think that would be appropriate because of confidentiality policies.

Akward silence as he gave me a look something like
b.gif
wtf.gif

He asked me if the majority of the patients were more affluent. I said there were a fair share of less fortunate individuals, but that the majority were doing pretty well for themselves. He then asked me again who some of the more well off patients were, and again I politely declined. He looked at me a little puzzled, almost slightly frustrated, but then moved on.

Do yall think I was in the right by not telling him the patients' names or did I screw myself by being idealistic?

happysad.gif

I think telling him that you have famous clients in particular fields piqued his curiosity. Also, if we were talking about a cancer or abortion clinic or something, privacy might be a huge issue. But he might have thought physical therapy at a rich PT resort was more interesting.

I dunno what I woulda done, probably tried not to mention the famous clients.

So it's a pretty well-known place in Dallas. Wow, I think you did the right thing. He should admire your maintaining the patient's privacy. If asked again at another interview, I would do the same.
Good luck!

I would have told the guy a few names. In a situation like that where you shot him down not once but twice, and when he gave you a weird look each time, you have to throw him a bone.

It was just a conversation. I'm sure he wouldn't have even thought about the whole HIPAA issue. However, by refusing to give him some names you make him look bad. Obviously, if he asked you a second time he really wanted to know. Don't be surprised if you get waitlisted. OR, maybe I'm just being harsh, and he just was testing you...

yeah...you mentioning the fact that famous people go there obviously led to his questions.

i mean isnt it natural for people to ask who if you say high profile people go to a certain place?

i mean even i want to know who went there now.

just dont mention the famous people part next time if you dont want it to lead to those kind of questions.

steve nash?? haha jp.

I probably would have done what you did...I hear plenty of horror stories about "trick questions" at interviews...my thoughts would have been if you DID disclose your patients, would he have looked down on you for doing so? etc.
The book "White Coat" by Ellen Lerner describes an interview experience where the obviously overweight interviewer asked, point blank, "Do you think I'm fat?". Talk about awkward.
*Lunacy*

Originally posted by Lunacy4
I probably would have done what you did...I hear plenty of horror stories about "trick questions" at interviews...my thoughts would have been if you DID disclose your patients, would he have looked down on you for doing so? etc.
The book "White Coat" by Ellen Lerner describes an interview experience where the obviously overweight interviewer asked, point blank, "Do you think I'm fat?". Talk about awkward.
*Lunacy*

honesty...tact...honesty...tact...

oh boy

eek3.gif

Originally posted by Lunacy4
*Lunacy*

Haha... so how did the interviewee respond?

Do interviewer's ever ask trick questions? Like the situation lane was in, do u think he was testing her?

I'd say: "You could afford to lose a few pounds." Then bring it on to me...."I could do the same!" Honesty is always better.

She didn't say how they replied, but,what can you say? If you say no, then they know you're just trying to suck up and make them like you (at an interview? get outta here). If you say yes, then they might follow up with equally fun questions. Personally, I would probably falter for a bit but say, as tactfully as humanly possible, that yes, you're so fat you make me wanna scream. Your obesity disgusts and upsets me and, in fact, I don't want to go anywhere near this medical school if people as physically deformed as you are affiliated with it.
On second thought, maybe not...
*Lunacy*

I think that you did a great job by maintaining the identity of the people private. I think that he was testing you anf you definetely passed, with flying colors. If he wasn't testing you then he should have been. It sounds like he thought that you will just blum out the names very easily, but you stood up for yourself. that is a rare quality, especially when the other end has the control bottom.

so, dish a little. who were these famous clients?