Dvm/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Side note: The first link on the AVMA's "Veterinarians and Public Health" page is "5 Reasons You Want a Veterinarian on Your Team in a Zombie Apocalypse."

Thanks AVMA. Totally answered all my questions about this extremely important field. :smack:

That's not so bad. :)

True, pertinent information can be difficult to extract from the AVMA, but as an avid horror fan, I rather enjoy all of the zombie-love. It's one of the few ways to get people excited about veterinary public health and maybe just public health in general.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the DVM/MPH program at Minnesota, if anyone has any specific questions about that (although I'm not too far into it yet, just a caveat). However I'm doing my DVM at Minnesota as well, so I can't speak as much to the doing it while a vet student at another school option, but I can say I did "meet" a number of students in my online coures last summer that were doing thr program and about to start vet school at a number of other shools. As far as I know, we're the only school that has a program like that.

Hi dovelover,

I do have some questions about the DVM/MPH at Minnesota. When did you apply for and start the MPH? I know the sample curriculum online shows classes starting the summer before first semester of the DVM. Is this how most people start their DVM/MPH at the U? I know pursuing both degrees takes up a lot of the summer time, but how limited are elective choices for a student doing both programs? Is there someone in particular at the U that you would suggest getting in touch with about the dual program?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some students start before vet school. I only sorta half started before school since I just did online classes and did not go up for the public health institute classes last year due to my job (I hadn't moved to MN yet). A lot of students (at least who are vet students at UMN too) apply during their first year to start the following summer too. I know at least two classmates who are doing that now. I think if you know you're interested, it's good to start at least a class or two the summer before to get a head start. As far as limitation of elective choices, it will affect it, but how much is really up to you. You can choose to not take a certain public health class in favor of another vet class, but then you may not be able to finish the degree in 4 years (you have 5 or 7 years... I'm a little confused as to which it is at the moment because I've gotten conflicting info... but I really hope to be done in 4, so I'm not going to worry to much about it). You will likely use up 2 weeks of your vet externship rotations 4th year to complete your public health externship (plus you have to do an additional week that does not transfer from your vet rotations). I unfortunately can't speak too much as to how else it may affect your class choices, because I'm not really at the point yet where it will have the biggest impact. I did have to miss out an elective I really wanted to take this semester to take a public health elective that will transfer to my MPH, but I will have several more opportunities to take the other elective, so it's not a huge loss. It was a fear of mine going into the program that I would overextend myself schedule wise, because I don't want to focus solely on public health like some of my classmates in the program do... but I figure I'll sorta just go with the flow when I get there. The program has a lot of flexibility. To the best of my knowledge, the only classes that you are specifically required to take are all offered during the summer.

If you go to the website, you can get more info on the program details, as well as the contact info (at the bottom of the page)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys

I am a foreign trained vet living in Canada. I am not going to work as a vet anymore and I am doing insurance, but ICAS has assessed my degree as first professional degree in veterinary medicine which is DVM same as my degree reads. A lot of people put their designations and credentials in their emails and credentials. I have CIP too but I d like to show that I ve been to university for 6 years. I believe I cant put DVM unless I am licensed in Ontario. On your opinion what I can put in my email and business card to both show my degree and at the same time all legal requirements are met.

Thank you so much