DVM/PhD as Non-traditional Student

Started by Honeypot1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Honeypot1

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any non-traditional people that have pursued, or are pursuing, a DVM (orVMD)/PhD? I was more or less intent on obtaining the professional degree alone, but began to rethink that approach after completing a summer research fellowship I was awarded this past summer. I love research and feel that there are unique contributions that veterinarian-scientists can make to both animal and human (animal) health. At 38, I am a little concerned about the time commitment and job prospects. I would be interested in hearing different points of view.

I should add that I am pre-vet, looking to apply for the next cycle. (I apologize if I should have posted this in the pre-ver forum.)
 
Hi there. I have just been accepted into the Ross vet program and I am 42. I have thought about going on to specialize but the thought that I will be pushing 50 by the time I graduate is making it a tough decision. I probably will not, I would rather get out and start making money to pay back the ungodly loan debt we will incur! LOL I thought about opening my own practice instead. Just some thoughts....good luck to you!