DVM/PhD as Non-traditional Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honeypot1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any non-traditional people that have pursued, or are pursuing, a DVM (orVMD)/PhD? I was more or less intent on obtaining the professional degree alone, but began to rethink that approach after completing a summer research fellowship I was awarded this past summer. I love research and feel that there are unique contributions that veterinarian-scientists can make to both animal and human (animal) health. At 38, I am a little concerned about the time commitment and job prospects. I would be interested in hearing different points of view.

I should add that I am pre-vet, looking to apply for the next cycle. (I apologize if I should have posted this in the pre-ver forum.)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I have just been accepted into the Ross vet program and I am 42. I have thought about going on to specialize but the thought that I will be pushing 50 by the time I graduate is making it a tough decision. I probably will not, I would rather get out and start making money to pay back the ungodly loan debt we will incur! LOL I thought about opening my own practice instead. Just some thoughts....good luck to you!