DVM/PhD Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PamperedLady

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone enrolled in one and if some could you explain what its like? I'm debating aiming my goal of veterinary science to a PhD I've been more of a hands on person and really wanting to study in depth about specific aspects about animal science... just looking for some more infor :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not enrolled in one, but you should really be quite sure that research is what you want to do with your degree before you make the decision to apply to and enter these programs. They are very rigorous and demanding, and the standards for entrance are high. You really have to love research and be committed to it to be able to complete a program like this.

Have you done any undergrad (or MS level) research? When are you thinking of applying?

This is just my two cents, but when I was at Wake Forest working in their Comparative Medicine department with a bunch of DVM/PhDs, they actually steered me away from those programs.

Their reasoning was that it was very difficult to combine a very structured program like the DVM with the very unstructured and unpredictable world of research. Seven years down the road, you may end up with neither if things go badly!

I'd like to get a PhD as well and am thinking about doing a combined residency/PhD program. Residency and PhD just seem to integrate better than DVM/PhD.

But again, that is just my opinion - I know some people doing the combined program here at my school and they like it. I'm just paranoid ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Whtsthefrequency--a PhD is probably easier to integrate with a residency, and there are many advantages to doing so.

I considered it briefly in my first year of vet school, but had a professor steer me away from it. His reasons--1, you miss your year of clinical rotations, which may be your only chance to do surgery (as well as other clinical stuff); 2, it's good to get experiences as different institutions (he also recommended against doing a residency in the same place as DVM). What if you get into a DVM/PhD program and discover another school would suit your needs better? You'll be much better able to pick the right fit for your PhD. once you've been in vet school awhile and made some contacts.

I am participating in the Merck-Merial/NIH-funded Summer Scholars program for veterinary students this summer--$5k stipend to do some research in a mentor's lab, plus some interesting seminars and an all expense paid trip to a symposium. Open only to those without research experience who are not currently enrolled in any PhD program. It has given me a tremendous amount of insight into research--I would highly recommend it. The day-to-day realities of being a researcher might very well be different than you expected--it wasn't quite what I expected, I know.

bern, I am as well!! Are you going to go to Michigan for the symposium? It's crunch time, ain't it ;) Still don't have my poster printed. PCR data still coming in. Yikes!

Haha, yes, I'm going to Michigan--glad to hear I'm not the only one still posterless! I won't have ANY data until Monday or Tuesday, which means I'll be getting it printed on Wednesday... Nothing like the last minute!

I was given the impression that it's our Phi Zeta poster presentation in September or October that really matters--they don't expect us to be completely finished in time for Michigan. Is that the case at your school?