Program-Specific Info / Q's D'Youville College Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAGD3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I hope everybody is doing well. I got accepted into D'Youville College for Occupational Therapy and just thought a new thread should be created . I'm Michelle and I look forward to meeting my future classmates . Anybody else feel free to share your information. Also, has anyone looked into where they will live ?

Members don't see this ad.

I got wait listed but congratulations on getting accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I hope everybody is doing well. I got accepted into D'Youville College for Occupational Therapy and just thought a new thread should be created . I'm Michelle and I look forward to meeting my future classmates . Anybody else feel free to share your information. Also, has anyone looked into where they

Hi again, Michelle! :) Just figured I'd bump up this post. Hopefully we find more future classmates soon!

I'm Laura for anyone besides Michelle reading this haha. I'm from northern PA, only two and a half hours south of Buffalo. I've also been accepted to D'Youville and can't wait to meet our new classmates!

Hi again, Michelle! :) Just figured I'd bump up this post. Hopefully we find more future classmates soon!

I'm Laura for anyone besides Michelle reading this haha. I'm from northern PA, only two and a half hours south of Buffalo. I've also been accepted to D'Youville and can't wait to meet our new classmates!

Hi! I'm Joy and have also been accepted/plan on going to D'Youville College. I'm not sure if it was talked about from a previous post, but do you think we should do a facebook group/page? I'll be moving from CA so any tips on places to live, etc, would be helpful, too! Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Hi! I'm Joy and have also been accepted/plan on going to D'Youville College. I'm not sure if it was talked about from a previous post, but do you think we should do a facebook group/page? I'll be moving from CA so any tips on places to live, etc, would be helpful, too! Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!
Hi, Joy! Nice to meet you! CA, huh? Holy smokes that's quite the journey! Mind me asking how you ended up with D'Youville?

I think a Facebook group would be a good idea. I feel like the class should be pretty well solidified in the next month or so. I know some schools set their own group up, but I don't see that happening with D'Youville. I have to say, I haven't been able to get ahold of my admissions counselor and I'm not very pleased. Just isn't a great first impression. I guess I'm going to end up calling, since I've had three different people/offices ignore my email :/

Hi Laura,
I've always lived in Southern California and thought it'd be a nice chance to experience some place different. I don't know much about D'Youville other than from what's been on the website, but the campus looks pretty cool.

Have either of you been able to get in touch with your counselor about some questions since then? I can't remember, but did you also go to any information sessions? I'm sort of browsing at places to live since I won't get a chance to do so until Orientation.

Hi Laura,
I've always lived in Southern California and thought it'd be a nice chance to experience some place different. I don't know much about D'Youville other than from what's been on the website, but the campus looks pretty cool.

Have either of you been able to get in touch with your counselor about some questions since then? I can't remember, but did you also go to any information sessions? I'm sort of browsing at places to live since I won't get a chance to do so until Orientation.
I haven't gotten a hold of anyone. My boss told me I can't get any time off until after the 1st of the month, so I figure I'll try again on a few weeks. I haven't visited yet, hence why I am so anxious about seeing it ASAP.

And I have been trying to look for places too. I've honestly never rented my own place before, and the process seems daunting. I definitely want room mates, because this chick can't afford to live on her own unless I find a great deal haha.

Thank you ! Good luck with everything , hopefully you'll get off the wait list !
Thank you so much for the encouragement, I still haven't heard back from them yet.
But I got accepted into 3 other schools ( note those schools aren't nearly as competitive) and I'm still trying to make up my mind.

Thank you so much for the encouragement, I still haven't heard back from them yet.
But I got accepted into 3 other schools ( note those schools aren't nearly as competitive) and I'm still trying to make up my mind.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get into? And congratulations are in order. That's awesome!

Well that's awesome you got into three schools . I only applied to three and this was the only one I got into so far . And hi Joy, nice to meet you ! I was going to to travel up for orientation but someone who's in the program already suggested I just wait until orientation . I'm flying up June 1 , a day early to look for apartments . I'm leaving out the 3rd.

I finally got ahold of someone, so I'm going up to visit on April 4th. Its only a two and a half hour drive for me. I'm going to see campus for the first time, meet with financial aid, and possibly talk to a professor in the OT department. I'm planning to try and check out an apartment or two. I'm so excited to finally see it! :)

I just got back from my visit to D'Youville/Buffalo. If anyone wants me to bore them with the details, let me know!

P.S. It went great and I am so looking forward to August!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got back from my visit to D'Youville/Buffalo. If anyone wants me to bore them with the details, let me know!

P.S. It went great and I am so looking forward to August!

I'm interested !! :)

I'm interested !! :)
Okay, so I ended up signing a lease for a studio apartment at Collegiate Village. I was planning to lease a room in a two bedroom, but after seeing the Studio 2 model I was sold. I told a couple people on campus that that was where I was going to live and they all said it was a semi-expensve option, but that all the students there seemed to like it. The property itself was big and the amenities were nice. The shuttle was another big part of the reason I liked it so much. Mostly because during my tour of the campus, they said that parking is not guaranteed and by midmorning all the spots are taken.

Campus itself was different to me, just because I've never really been on an urban campus before. There were only a handful of buildings. One thing that was nice is that three of the buildings are all connected together. I'd pretend I remember which ones, but I do know one of them was the one we will spend most of our time in.

My graduate admissions counselor ended up being awesome. She was super helpful and got me set up to meet with financial aid and an OT professor. The meeting with financial aid was the most stressful part of the day. He told me that because of how credits are distributed in the program, the first year is the most expensive and then goes down from there.

I got to meet with Professor Frye and she was great. There is a relaxed atmosphere and the students all called the professors by their first name. When I first got here, there were a group of students in her office visiting and catching up with her. She had to cover a class for another professor in the department and invited me to sit in on it. The subject was prosthetics and orthotics and it was really interesting. After class, she took the time to open up the different labs that I'd be using. It really meant a lot to me that she spent so much time with me when she didn't have to.

Overall I had a really great feeling about the school. The labs and classrooms aren't as nice as some of the other schools that I have seen. But every person I met was friendly and made me feel incredibly welcomed. I got a real sense of community and I am excited to begin in August!

Hi Laura,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with CV and the campus! I scheduled my tour for CV on June 1st so we'll see how that goes as well. I also like that there's shuttling which will be helpful because I don't know if I need to have a car or bring my car from CA. I know it's mostly been us 3 talking, but do you think we should start a Facebook group? Haha.

Looking forward to meeting you all at Orientation :)

Hi Laura,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with CV and the campus! I scheduled my tour for CV on June 1st so we'll see how that goes as well. I also like that there's shuttling which will be helpful because I don't know if I need to have a car or bring my car from CA. I know it's mostly been us 3 talking, but do you think we should start a Facebook group? Haha.

Looking forward to meeting you all at Orientation :)
If you know how to start one, be my guest! I have no idea how to haha.

Can't wait until orientation! That's when it will really feel real!

I think I know how, but I'll probably make it closer to Orientation or after Orientation since it seems like it's just the 3 of us :) Do you know anyone else who got in?

I think I know how, but I'll probably make it closer to Orientation or after Orientation since it seems like it's just the 3 of us :) Do you know anyone else who got in?
Haha yeah that's a good plan. No, I don't know of anyone else that got in.

Did you get your email address yesterday? I can't tell how they set it up, like either my name is spelled wrong or they just have an odd system. I'm hoping I can just stick to using my gmail account.

Is anybody starting May 23? And I really wish there was a Facebook group.

Hey guys! I'll be starting in the PA program at D'Youville in Fall 2017. Are any of you interested in sharing a two bedroom at CV? Or would you be willing to share your experiences there up to this point? Feel free to privately message me:)

Hi! Has anyone here heard anything from the D'youville occupational therapy program? I submitted my app in early November and I haven't heard anything at all!

Hi! Has anyone here heard anything from the D'youville occupational therapy program? I submitted my app in early November and I haven't heard anything at all!
Are you apply as a high school student or transfer?

Ohh ok! I was going to say I thought high school students had already been notified, but that was for PT. I just searched through the Fall 2017 accepted students page on Facebook, and it appears no one has been notified yet. Sorry:( Hopefully you will hear soon!

Ohh ok! I was going to say I thought high school students had already been notified, but that was for PT. I just searched through the Fall 2017 accepted students page on Facebook, and it appears no one has been notified yet. Sorry:( Hopefully you will hear soon!

Thanks for looking that up! Congrats on your PA acceptance btw!

No problem! And thank you! I will let you know if anyone posts on the Facebook page:) Did they give you an idea of when you should hear?

I'm currently going through this situation I graduated spring of 2016 with a exercise science bachelors degree and sadly I acquired a 2.56 gpa after graduating. I had been researching schools all over that would except me, and like you said I would travel to Saturn if they said yes. Then I came across dyouville occupational therapy program oh sorry I forgot to mention that. And they have a 5 year bs and ms program with a min 2.5 gpa on a 4.0 scale to get accepted . So my question is do you think my chances of getting is good I would come in as a transfer student so I might not have to do the 5 years maybe alittle less. I have been working in the field for 5 years and I have done volunteer work,I really want to get in please tell me what I should do as far as essays anything thank you

I'm currently going through this situation I graduated spring of 2016 with a exercise science bachelors degree and sadly I acquired a 2.56 gpa after graduating. I had been researching schools all over that would except me, and like you said I would travel to Saturn if they said yes. Then I came across dyouville occupational therapy program oh sorry I forgot to mention that. And they have a 5 year bs and ms program with a min 2.5 gpa on a 4.0 scale to get accepted . So my question is do you think my chances of getting is good I would come in as a transfer student so I might not have to do the 5 years maybe alittle less. I have been working in the field for 5 years and I have done volunteer work,I really want to get in please tell me what I should do as far as essays anything thank you
The 5 year program is only for students coming directly from high school. They do have a 3 year program for transfer students (which is what you are considered). However, this program requires a 3.0 GPA. I am not an admissions expert or anything of the sort, but if I were you I would either retake some of the courses you did poorly on or complete a post bacc program (and make sure to get a high GPA in it). This way you can prove to admissions committees for OT school that you have improved on your study habits and can be successful in their program. But that's just my $.02

No problem! And thank you! I will let you know if anyone posts on the Facebook page:) Did they give you an idea of when you should hear?

I re-read their e-mail and they said middle to late January. So maybe soon!

So anytime you should hear then! Is DYC your top choice?

Pacific University in Oregon is actually my top choice. But DYC I've heard is a pretty good program too! Plus I've never been to NY so I think living there for a bit would definitely be an exciting change from my hometown.

Hello everyone. I also have applied to D'Youville and am waiting to hear back. I was hoping to hear from any current OT students on your experience there and how you like it. I live in California so if I were to get in and go it would be a huge move for me and really don't know much about the program. Thanks to all and best of luck to everyone still waiting.

I looked up D'Youville on Facebook and I saw someone announced they got accepted into the program a few hours ago. Anyone else get an acceptance letter today? I haven't received anything yet.

I heard they were sending out letters this past week and next week for their MSOT program.

I received an acceptance letter today from D'Youville's OT masters program! Hope you all receive good news soon!

I, too, received an acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. All the way in CA. I imagine everyone will receive the news soon! So excited!

GPA: 3.9
Prereq GPA: 3.9
GRE: 164 V 154 Q 5 AW
Extras:
200 hours shadowing, plus lots of volunteering in related fields

Good luck and congrats to those who've been accepted! :)

I received an acceptance letter today from D'Youville's OT masters program! Hope you all receive good news soon!
Is this the 5 year program or the 3 year program?

I, too, received an acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. All the way in CA. I imagine everyone will receive the news soon! So excited!

GPA: 3.9
Prereq GPA: 3.9
GRE: 164 V 154 Q 5 AW
Extras:
200 hours shadowing, plus lots of volunteering in related fields

Good luck and congrats to those who've been accepted! :)
5 year or 3 year program? Congrats!

Anyone else hear from Dyouville either a yes or no For the 3 year program!?

Nothing yet for me. I'm guessing they're waiting to get answers from those who have been accepted before sending out more acceptance letters. Hbu?
Anyone else hear from Dyouville either a yes or no For the 3 year program!?

Nothing yet. I was told by someone there that they thought letters were going out this week. I've gotten no denial and no acceptance !

I received a letter about a week ago. Was not offered admission.

Still waiting to hear back too.. I applied to the 3 year via OTCAS back in October 2016