Earliest date that schools start accepting people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GettinAfterIt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know we are really early in the cycle. I’m just trying to get a relative timeline set up for my family. I applied to 45 schools MD/DO. I submitted my app as early as possible for both application services.

When is the earliest I could see an acceptance? I’ve heard some people say certain DO schools start interviewing and accepting people in August, is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

The earliest date for MD schools to notify accepted students is October 15th. DO can be sooner as they have different traffic rules and guidelines.

Reactions: 3 users
Schools may start sending interviews in July but I’m not really sure if this was more of a thing prior to covid. I feel like with virtual interviews, schools send invites closer to the interview date

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While that is the earliest that schools can notify acceptances, the majority of decisions are not reached until much later in the year or early next year. For some applicants on waitlist, the cycle can continue until July or August 2023. It should be noted that rejections can come at any time and are not bound by any timeline. It also should be noted a large fraction of rejections are not notified until near the end of the cycle.

In short, anytime between Oct 15 2022 and July/August 2023 is the time you can hear of acceptance or waitlist. If you do not get an interview invite by about Feb 15th it is very unlikely you will get an acceptance
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Does anyone know about DO schools? I applied to ten of them.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Does anyone know about DO schools? I applied to ten of them.
DO is roughly the same timeline. While the first interview group could hear back in September, the cycle goes on in July and August with waitlist movement.

Reactions: 1 user