Early acceptance to dental school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TylerJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am striving to be accepted to dental school early, as I already know this is the career that I wish to do and excel in.

I am a non-traditional student who is former military and is finally attending school full-time! Which I am immensely pleased about. I was first trained as a dental assistant and then converted to a dental laboratory technician. I have extensive knowledge in ceramics, CAD/CAM, dentures, RPDs, orthodontic appliances (I can bend a hawley in less than 2 minutes, including 2 Adam's clasps.) I have worked with and shadowed almost every dental specialty with exception to dental anesthesiologists and pathologists (though I have worked with MD pathologists to take dental radiographic pictures of a corpse for identification purposes). I have worked with residents, attended their lectures when I had the time and actually given lessons to residents about dental laboratory procedures. The list goes on...

The point is, I really do not wish to waste anymore time than is necessary to be accepted into dental school. My current GPA is 3.9, but have yet to complete all the courses for the DAT. What if anything else can I do to increase my chances for being accepted early?

Also, unfortunately I missed the deadline for being accepted to University of Maryland, College Park. Would it be okay to take some courses at a local community college until the following semester, so that I do not waste any time in completing all the requirements necessary for the DAT? My separation approval from the USAF was last minute and did not afford me time to apply to UMD considering I was unsure if I would be separated or not (3rd time trying). I know that some schools frown upon community college credits, but I would like to not waste any time.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what dental schools you want to go to. Most have a maximum amount of CC credits that they will accept.