Early Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cludlow86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as early admission goes, i'm trying to figure out why someone would take the chance of applying to just one school and then waiting to hear back while you can't apply to any other schools. Lets say you get an interview, then find out late fall or winter that you didn't get in, meanwhile its now too late to apply to any other schools... am I missing something???

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that the advantage is so that you applications gets reviewed early on, maybe get an interview, and you get a definite answer (acceptance/waitlist/rejection) by a certain date, which is mid-late October. The other advantage is that you are increasing your chances of getting in (I don't know by how much though) because you are telling the school that they are your number 1 choice. If you are accepted, you are theoretically "locked" into going into that school and only that school. If it's anything other than an acceptance, you'll be "released" and then allowed to apply to other schools. With that said, you could take this route without being accepted, and still be able to make the November deadlines. Though I will say it is risky and is definitely something to weigh out.

Last edited:
I applied early decision successfully this year. I am married and my husband has a great job right by my campus. While he had possibilities to transfer if necessary, he really preferred to stay so I applied early decision in hopes of staying local. Early decision just makes sense for some people.