Early Commitment - Scholarship Impact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

averageguy12345

Reaction score
Would notifying the admissions team that you plan to enroll in that medical school impact scholarships? Specifically, if this communication took place before financial aid information was distributed, would the medical school reduce the scholarship amount (since they don't have to compete with other programs)? Thank you so much for everybody's thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

N=1 but I received a very generous scholarship after communicating my intent to enroll to a program

Reactions: 1 users
Who knows? But, common sense dictates it won't help. It might not matter, as in @katie_elizabeth's case, but it certainly isn't going to increase your leverage in case you need it, so what's your upside in showing your cards before you have to?

If you had limited money to distribute, and, between two similar candidates, one selected PTE and one didn't, who would you be more inclined to throw money at? Reward the person who has already demonstrated an inclination to attend, or use the money to try to pull in the person on the fence? If I had discretion, I'd use it to try to increase yield.

If someone is coming anyway, why discount their tuition? We can always find uses for the extra money! If they want to negotiate and we have flexibility, we can always offer them something later, if necessary. I dunno and I'm certainly not on an adcom, but that's what I'd do, rather than throwing money at people already indicating an intention to enroll, who might not have any other options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Would notifying the admissions team that you plan to enroll in that medical school impact scholarships? Specifically, if this communication took place before financial aid information was distributed, would the medical school reduce the scholarship amount (since they don't have to compete with other programs)? Thank you so much for everybody's thoughts!
Why would you notify them that you plan to enroll? Most schools do ask for non-binding acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user