Early Decision for VCU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddyRDH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here apply for early decision for VCU last year and get in? If so what were your stats, major, volunteer stuff etc. Also, do you remember when they responded to you? Is it worth it to wait to the end of October for an answer versus applying to more pharmacy schools early?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here apply for early decision for VCU last year and get in? If so what were your stats, major, volunteer stuff etc. Also, do you remember when they responded to you? Is it worth it to wait to the end of October for an answer versus applying to more pharmacy schools early?

Thanks!

Hey! I applied for early decision in VCU last year and got in! My stats were Gpa: 3.6 cum, 3.5 science, horrible PCATS, great recs, pharmacy research, pharm tech and hospital volunteer. I had a good interview too! My interview was in early October and I got their response by the end of october (in about 2 weeks). They are pretty quick in replying with early decision ppl. I know a friend who didn't do early decision...she had her interview in Dec and found out that she didn't get in around May. So thats pretty late. Regarding ur question about waiting or applying early...it all depends on you. I was sure that I wanted to go to VCU so I did early decision and got a quick response from them. Just know that if u get in the early decision batch then you have to go there. So if you are not so sure then I would say that apply to more schools. Once again, it all depends on you.

Thank you for your input!!! My first choice is VCU but I was really worried about applying as an early decision applicant. My stats are similar to yours, 3.6 overall, science around a 3.7 if I don't mess up this summer!

I am really worried about the PCAT. I am studying every Fri-Sun,and whenever I am at the gym during the week. I suck at standardized tests! I think I got a 950 or 1000 on my SATs years ago!

I do have tons of volunteer stuff but no pharm experience. I have applied to a couple of hospitals as a volunteer but no one has called me yet! I am getting really worried!

Would you mind posting your major and pcat score? That is another thing, I am not a science major! I will have completed the pre-reqs by this summer, I will be taking biochem in the fall, and cell bio, plus genetics or micro in the spring to make up for being a non-science major. My advisor told me not to worry but compared to other applicants, I don't have the heavy science background!

Thanks again and congrats! Sorry I wrote almost my life story!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input!!! My first choice is VCU but I was really worried about applying as an early decision applicant. My stats are similar to yours, 3.6 overall, science around a 3.7 if I don't mess up this summer!

I am really worried about the PCAT. I am studying every Fri-Sun,and whenever I am at the gym during the week. I suck at standardized tests! I think I got a 950 or 1000 on my SATs years ago!

I do have tons of volunteer stuff but no pharm experience. I have applied to a couple of hospitals as a volunteer but no one has called me yet! I am getting really worried!

Would you mind posting your major and pcat score? That is another thing, I am not a science major! I will have completed the pre-reqs by this summer, I will be taking biochem in the fall, and cell bio, plus genetics or micro in the spring to make up for being a non-science major. My advisor told me not to worry but compared to other applicants, I don't have the heavy science background!

Thanks again and congrats! Sorry I wrote almost my life story!

I totally understand...I suck at standardized tests too! Thats y I applied early so I wouldnt have to compete with those 90+ PCAT people. My PCAT was 47 when I applied and I retook it and got 52....so sucky!! If VCU is ur first choice then I would say go for early decision. Yeah, I dont think it matter if u r not a science major. I am a biochem major but I dont think it matters that much. Ur volunteer hours should help too. Y dont u try working as a pharmacy tech? I know some people who got in without any experience...so dont worry too much. Goodluck with ur summer classes and good luck applying. Goodluck with PCATs too. U can send me a message if u have other questions.

I totally understand...I suck at standardized tests too! Thats y I applied early so I wouldnt have to compete with those 90+ PCAT people. My PCAT was 47 when I applied and I retook it and got 52....so sucky!! If VCU is ur first choice then I would say go for early decision. Yeah, I dont think it matter if u r not a science major. I am a biochem major but I dont think it matters that much. Ur volunteer hours should help too. Y dont u try working as a pharmacy tech? I know some people who got in without any experience...so dont worry too much. Goodluck with ur summer classes and good luck applying. Goodluck with PCATs too. U can send me a message if u have other questions.

You actually made me feel a lot better about applying ED to VCU, as well. My overall GPA is a 3.47 and my science/math GPA is a 3.28 right now (I just realized how low it is and am now a bit worried =/). Someone in my Micro lab got an interview at VCU this year (I'm not sure if he got in) with a 3.2 overall, so I guess VCU really does take into account the bigger picture. Do you mind my asking where you did your undergrad work at? I've heard VCU favors its own undergrads (which could be good for me, since I go to VCU), but not from any reliable source.

I applied to VCU last fall during October. Because Shenandoah was my first choice, I opted not to apply to VCU as "Early Decision," but since Shenandoah had no "Early Decision" either, I applied to both at the same time. I interviewed with VCU about a week before Shenandoah and got accepted about two weeks after my interview (early November). Although I will be going to Shenandoah, I was impressed by the interview and tour at VCU. (I want to go to Shenandoah because I am tired of living in a Metropolitan area because I live in Northern Virginia and yearn for a change of environment.)

I have a 3.65 GPA, a BA in Economics from years ago, and finished up my science pre-reqs at NOVA Community College over the last couple of years. My PCAT when I applied was a 61 and yes, I too suck at the standardized tests.

I honestly think the key is to apply early, reason being that all of my classmates and co-workers that decided to get their applications in later (December and later) simply have not heard anything. Apply as soon as PharmCas opens their window, and politely but assertively hound your professors to get you those letters of recs ASAP (yes, start asking them now, most professors take at least a couple of weeks to write your letter.)

Also, it should be easy for you to get pharm experience. Personally, if you are not certified, forget about applying to the big chains like CVS. I went to those stores but found that they "preferred" certifieds, which is very understandable. I got my start at Target Pharmacy, which takes uncertifieds. You may also want to consider Wal-Mart or grocery stores like Giant or Safeway, which may take uncertifieds. My point is that you want to consider as many stores as possible, and your goal should be to get somewhere that takes uncertifieds. I wouldn't take the PTCB test either until you are employed, because (1) it is not a hard test and most if not all knowledge can be acquired on the job with just a little studying on the side and (2) many companies will pay for it.

I agree with other posts that you don't have to have experience to get into school, but I think that it is very doable (even if it is for one shift a week) and will enhance your chances. Simply put, in both of my interviews, I talked about my pharmacy experiences and I could tell that my interviewers were impressed by my awareness of pharmacy as a profession, as a business, and the struggles that patients sometimes fight to overcome.

You are doing the right thing by considering your options. I hope that I have helped you in some way. Don't be afraid to contact schools that you are interested in and gain their perspective. But yes, I think applying as early as possible is critical, especially if your PCAT is not that great. Put simply, it is better to apply now (being that you have taken the PCAT at least once) than to wait until the October test rolls by in order to attain a higher score. Competition is at its lowest in the beginning, and remember that the "Early Bird gets the Worm."

I applied to VCU last fall during October. Because Shenandoah was my first choice, I opted not to apply to VCU as "Early Decision," but since Shenandoah had no "Early Decision" either, I applied to both at the same time. I interviewed with VCU about a week before Shenandoah and got accepted about two weeks after my interview (early November). Although I will be going to Shenandoah, I was impressed by the interview and tour at VCU. (I want to go to Shenandoah because I am tired of living in a Metropolitan area because I live in Northern Virginia and yearn for a change of environment.)

I have a 3.65 GPA, a BA in Economics from years ago, and finished up my science pre-reqs at NOVA Community College over the last couple of years. My PCAT when I applied was a 61 and yes, I too suck at the standardized tests.

I honestly think the key is to apply early, reason being that all of my classmates and co-workers that decided to get their applications in later (December and later) simply have not heard anything. Apply as soon as PharmCas opens their window, and politely but assertively hound your professors to get you those letters of recs ASAP (yes, start asking them now, most professors take at least a couple of weeks to write your letter.)

Also, it should be easy for you to get pharm experience. Personally, if you are not certified, forget about applying to the big chains like CVS. I went to those stores but found that they "preferred" certifieds, which is very understandable. I got my start at Target Pharmacy, which takes uncertifieds. You may also want to consider Wal-Mart or grocery stores like Giant or Safeway, which may take uncertifieds. My point is that you want to consider as many stores as possible, and your goal should be to get somewhere that takes uncertifieds. I wouldn't take the PTCB test either until you are employed, because (1) it is not a hard test and most if not all knowledge can be acquired on the job with just a little studying on the side and (2) many companies will pay for it.

I agree with other posts that you don't have to have experience to get into school, but I think that it is very doable (even if it is for one shift a week) and will enhance your chances. Simply put, in both of my interviews, I talked about my pharmacy experiences and I could tell that my interviewers were impressed by my awareness of pharmacy as a profession, as a business, and the struggles that patients sometimes fight to overcome.

You are doing the right thing by considering your options. I hope that I have helped you in some way. Don't be afraid to contact schools that you are interested in and gain their perspective. But yes, I think applying as early as possible is critical, especially if your PCAT is not that great. Put simply, it is better to apply now (being that you have taken the PCAT at least once) than to wait until the October test rolls by in order to attain a higher score. Competition is at its lowest in the beginning, and remember that the "Early Bird gets the Worm."

You actually made me feel a lot better about applying ED to VCU, as well. My overall GPA is a 3.47 and my science/math GPA is a 3.28 right now (I just realized how low it is and am now a bit worried =/). Someone in my Micro lab got an interview at VCU this year (I'm not sure if he got in) with a 3.2 overall, so I guess VCU really does take into account the bigger picture. Do you mind my asking where you did your undergrad work at? I've heard VCU favors its own undergrads (which could be good for me, since I go to VCU), but not from any reliable source.

Hey! I did go to VCU. I have heard that they prefer undergrads too. Actually my advisor told me that. But, I do know a lot of people who didn't attend VCU and still got in. I dont think it matters that much! Don't be worried about ur low GPA. I know a girl with 2.8 get in through early decision. As tennisboy said...the key is to apply early. Lemme know if u wanna know anything else. Good luck applying!