Early Decision Pros and Cons???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brodiewankenobi

Level 13 Mage
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about doing early decision just so I can get in somewhere early and not have to worry about where I am going all year. Anyone out there done this? Regrets Concerns? Anyone else thinking about doing it for the 09 app?

Members don't see this ad.

The major disadvantage is that it puts you on hold pretty much everywhere else. If your scores are within the averages, and it is your number 1 then I think it tends to be worth it. People that did it and got accepted loved it. It allowed them to relax a bit for the year. They just focused on passing the courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pros: You know you are 'in' and can relax the rest of the year, cancel some interviews, save money, etc.

Cons: You often have to pay your deposit before you even interview at other schools, so you could end up getting in somewhere you like more and lose that deposit.

Neutral: Keep in mind that if you are a competitive applicant, there isn't much of an advantage to special 'early' interviewing, as long as you aren't slacking and returning your secondaries in October.

And now a tangential anecdote:

I ended up going to Western after a very early acceptance a couple of years ago. At the time I was mainly interested in location, and Western has the Northwest Track which allows me to return to the NW this spring for rotations. I ended up cancelling interviews at CCOM, Touro, MSUCOM, and a bunch of MD schools.

Now I wish I had not been so attached to geography, because there were a lot of great schools I had a shot at. Not that Western has been bad, but its no CCOM, and as I go through this process my interest in getting a strong education is starting to outweigh my desire to be in any specific place.

On the bright side, I know I won't be making the same mistake with residency :D

I didnt even know that DO had EDPs:confused:

DMU definitely has one. i seriously considered applying but was convinced otherwise. it's a pretty sweet deal..you can apply as early as a sophmore i think. and you only have to get a 26 on the MCAT to keep your spot. i imagine knkowing you have an acceptance before you even take the MCAT would take the pressure wayyyyyyy off.

http://www.dmu.edu/com/admissions/early/

DMU definitely has one. i seriously considered applying but was convinced otherwise. it's a pretty sweet deal..you can apply as early as a sophmore i think. and you only have to get a 25 on the MCAT to keep your spot. i imagine knkowing you have an acceptance before you even take the MCAT would take the pressure wayyyyyyy off.

http://www.dmu.edu/com/admissions/early/

Oh, I didn't realize that was what we were talking about with 'early decision.'

So, Western has that too, through Pitzer. You actually get accepted out of highschool, then start at Western in the fall of your senior year of college. I think the first year of med school counts towards your bachelor's degree or something....some of my classmates had their college graduations the spring of first year.

http://www.pitzer.edu/admission/westernu/westernu.asp

s
Oh, I didn't realize that was what we were talking about with 'early decision.'

So, Western has that too, through Pitzer. You actually get accepted out of highschool, then start at Western in the fall of your senior year of college. I think the first year of med school counts towards your bachelor's degree or something....some of my classmates had their college graduations the spring of first year.

http://www.pitzer.edu/admission/westernu/westernu.asp

yea thats similar....the one at DMU you apply during college though, not straight out of high school. and i think you also finish all 4 years at whatever undergrad institiution you are at. you can also apply from any undergrad institution, not just one designated with the MD school.

the one at western is similar to the bacc/MD programs offered at many undergrads and their MD programs....examples that come to mind are USC and UCSD.

IMO, applying early and often > EDP's. Assuming your stats are within range that would make you a desirable candidate anyway, you'll still be able to pick and choose when it comes time to interview without having to wait it out for the EDP decision. It's difficult to know exactly how you'll like a school until you're there and have met everyone. Not to say that open houses aren't a good barometer, but personally I got a different read on a couple schools during an interview than I did at their open house.

IMO, applying early and often > EDP's. Assuming your stats are within range that would make you a desirable candidate anyway, you'll still be able to pick and choose when it comes time to interview without having to wait it out for the EDP decision. It's difficult to know exactly how you'll like a school until you're there and have met everyone. Not to say that open houses aren't a good barometer, but personally I got a different read on a couple schools during an interview than I did at their open house.

thats the argument that convinced me not to apply early decision

Cons: You often have to pay your deposit before you even interview at other schools, so you could end up getting in somewhere you like more and lose that deposit....

....The major disadvantage is that it puts you on hold pretty much everywhere else....

The ONLY reason to do early decision is if it's your first choice and you'll give up everything else if accepted there. Otherwise, it would be foolish.

However, the problems with EDP have diminished somewhat now that the MCAT is given so often. When it was given in just April and August there was a HUGE influx of applications twice a year. If you did EDP and were not accepted, then you could be lost among the shuffle of late applicants in October (when August scores got back).

These days applications are way more spread out. You rarely heard of people applying in December, January or February like is so common today. If you didn't get your primary in by late October, you were late and SOL.

Today, you could easily get by with EDP because "late" has lost much of its meaning. Yet, it's still a bit silly unless you really, really, really want one particular school.

I'm applying EDP to a particular school, but I can outline some reasons why.

1.) My parents are close by. My dad has a shotty heart. My 97 yearold grandma lives with them and I need to stay there sometime to help them out.

2.) It is the family community school type I want in the area I intend to practice.

3.) Its cheap...ish

4) I'd prefer not to up and leave the kids I mentor...sappy but true.

There are other reasons, but it has a lot to do with me wanting to stay in this area and having a nice support system here. I've done the far away for school thing. Now i'd like to be around in case something happens.