Early Decision timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summer921

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering applying ED to a PT school. However, I'm a bit confused as to the timing of my application submission to PTCAS. If the deadline this year is August 17, 2015. Does this mean I'd need to submit it by ~July 15 in order for the "4-5 weeks" of PTCAS processing??

Also, say I don't get accepted Early Decision. I would find out this decision September 27. Does this mean that when I apply to my other schools, it will also take 4-5 weeks of "processing" from the date -Sept 27? So essentially the schools wouldn't get my app until late October?? or is my application processed but just waiting for allocation of schools if I get rejected via ED??

Additionally, does ED really offer an advantage for those applicants with less-qualified stats?

Input/experience would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did early decision and was accepted last cycle. How much advantage it gives you depends on the school. For some it's huge, even to the point of some schools completely filling from early decision applicants. For others, it seems like it doesn't make a huge difference. Don't apply early decision if your other schools have rolling admissions. But if they don't then applying to one school early and applying to the others the moment you're declined for the early decision school doesn't hurt you at all with those schools. As for the timing, I remember everything happening way, way, way faster during the early decision time when I applied. I don't remember the exact number of days, but it wasn't bad at all. I really don't think it would take 4-5 weeks to send out your application to other schools after you've already applied early decision. Everything has already been processed for you by them at that point or they couldn't have sent out your early decision application. However, I didn't have to do that so I can't swear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As for your first question, again I don't recall all the specifics from last year, but I am pretty sure you just have to have everything to them by August 17 not 4-5 weeks before that. I am pretty sure I found an FAQ or something somewhere that said that, but somebody else may have an exact link. The GRE needs to be taken by the end of July though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As for your first question, again I don't recall all the specifics from last year, but I am pretty sure you just have to have everything to them by August 17 not 4-5 weeks before that. I am pretty sure I found an FAQ or something somewhere that said that, but somebody else may have an exact link. The GRE needs to be take by the end of July though.
thanks for your response!

@davidtheusername or anyone familiar with the comparison of ED acceptance rates for these schools? or even just regular admissions in general?

Elon, Duke, Sacred Heart, MUSC, Belmont, Widener, Nova Southeastern

According to Duke, 76% of early decision applicants are interviewed and 84% of those are accepted. Their numbers are 20% for applications accepted overall. http://dpt.duhs.duke.edu/Admissions/

Although, I'm sure a hefty percent of that difference is that early decision applicants have to meet certain minimum criteria to be considered.

NOTE: I've spoken with PTCAS before about this, and while I'm not 100% sure this is how I interpreted it. And I'm largely reiterating what davidtheusername said.

- The 4-5 week processing is irrelevant to the ED Date. It doesn't take them 4-5 weeks to send your application to the school. Each program can access your account shortly after you submit. The 4-5 week time distinction is how long it takes PTCAS to verify your grades against your transcript and calculate your GPAs. Schools can still access your account before verification. All that matters is you submit your application before the ED date.

- Once your application is verified, it's verified. The 4-5 week timeframe isn't pertinent to your application at this point if you decide to apply to additional schools.

- There will definitely be variation amongst schools as to how they treat Early Decision Applicants. Some schools have higher standards for their ED applicants, thus if you meet these standards and indicate you will 100% attend their program if accepted, I'd say you stand a good chance. I've spoken with a program who offers ED but without higher admissions requirements, and they said they used to hold ED applicants to a higher standard, but stopped after they realized they were rejecting the applicants in the ED phase but then going back and accepting them during the standard admissions cycle.

As @davidtheusername said, ED is a tricky proposition if your target schools are largely rolling admissions. If you have several schools your interested in that are not rolling admissions and you have a realistic chance at getting into one of them, it's definitely an idea worth looking into.

Reactions: 1 users
@davidtheusername or anyone familiar with the comparison of ED acceptance rates for these schools? or even just regular admissions in general?

Elon, Duke, Sacred Heart, MUSC, Belmont, Widener, Nova Southeastern

I got accepted to Belmont last cycle, and i applied ED. The majority of our class i believe came out of the ED.. However they still pulled about 15-20 students from priority admission.

Does anyone know information about USC'a ED? I'm also considering doing ED with lower end of stats but it's my top choice. I tried contacting the admissions for more info but haven't gotten any reply. Any info will be appreciated!