Early Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hutch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was planing on applying via early decision to Indiana U. I figure if I'm applying there anyways, why not early? But I'm not quite sure if I understand this early decision deal...I seached early decision on SDN and found one thread that says that if you apply by early decision you are bound to that school until the give you an answer and you can't apply to any other schools in the meantime? I never saw anything on the Indiana website about that... :confused:
So I'm just wondering if you guys can let me know more about the early decision process and what you think of it? (or direct me to another thread if I missed that one!)
Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

the biggest pain about applying to optometry school is that each school does things a little diferently. to be 100% sure you have to call IU and find their policy out.

hutch said:
Hey guys,
I was planing on applying via early decision to Indiana U. I figure if I'm applying there anyways, why not early? But I'm not quite sure if I understand this early decision deal...I seached early decision on SDN and found one thread that says that if you apply by early decision you are bound to that school until the give you an answer and you can't apply to any other schools in the meantime?
I think IU's idea of early decision for optometry is different than the way early decision is used in your typical undergrad application process. Rather than applying, say typically in fall of your senior year of undergrad and waiting (thus forgoing other applications), IU is wanting students to apply early decision even earlier - say, fall of your sophomore or junior year. Then, by the spring of that year, you would know if you were accepted. Your acceptance would then be contingent upon your grades for the remainder of your undergrad, your OAT scores, etc. They also have an option where you can apply without finishing your degree in this manner, but that isn't really recommended by IU. Most opt schools recommend you complete your bachelor's degree before matriculation.
That being said, I don't claim to know all there is to know about early decision, or IU, so like the previous poster said, contact the school to be sure. I also have no idea whether locking into IU as a sophomore or junior means you're absolutely committed to attending. Check with admissions for more info. Hope that helps!
http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/early.htm