Early indicators that you passed the NAPLEX. (or didn't)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In another thread someone posted:

"If your Naplex status online is "closed" after taking the exam and there's option for add score transfer then most likely you passed. That usually happens within a week of taking the exam"

I think this deserves its own thread. Has this been accurate in your experience? Are there any other early indicators that you know of?

EDIT: I had the score transfer option a few days after taking the test and I later found that I passed. For those who keep asking, I used the 2017 version of RxPrep along with the APhA book.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, I had a "closed" status same day our board posted my passing score online, 6 days after I took naplex.

Prior to that, my naplex registration maintained the "ATT generated" status all through those 6 days.

There is also the factor of which states participate in NABP online reporting vs those that don't. Mine (IL) doesn't. That might possibly create a false positive/negative, in terms of estimating whether or not you passed before your score is posted.

In another thread someone posted:

"If your Naplex status online is "closed" after taking the exam and there's option for add score transfer then most likely you passed. That usually happens within a week of taking the exam"

I think this deserves its own thread. Has this been accurate in your experience? Are there any other early indicators that you know of?
I took my NAPLEX on the 11th (July) mine has the "add score transfer" but it still says "ATT generated". I don't know what this mean I guess I'm just going to have to wait to figure it out!

I took my NAPLEX on the 11th (July) mine has the "add score transfer" but it still says "ATT generated". I don't know what this mean I guess I'm just going to have to wait to figure it out!
UPDATE I JUST CHECKED MY SCORE 1 minute ago I PASSED IN THREE DIGITS!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_0207.PNG
IMG_0208.PNG
This is only valid if your primary state is California since they don't participate on online scoring. The logic of this is NABP releases your score to CBOP once your status changes to "closed". If you have the option to add score transfer once your status changes then you passed since you can't transfer a failing score. So if you failed, "null" would show instead of "add score transfer". I took my exam last Thursday and my status just changed today

View attachment 221517 View attachment 221518
This is only valid if your primary state is California since they don't participate on online scoring. The logic of this is NABP releases your score to CBOP once your status changes to "closed". If you have the option to add score transfer once your status changes then you passed since you can't transfer a failing score. So if you failed, "null" would show instead of "add score transfer". I took my exam last Thursday and my status just changed today

How sure are you of the "null" indication? Have you actually heard of other test takers seeing the "null" in place of the "add score transfer" or are you speculating? I know score transfer can be added up to 90 days post-test, that's why I'm curious as to whether or not the "add score transfer" with a closed registration status is a good early indicator of having passed the NAPLEX.

Thanks!

In CA, "null" means fail and "Add Score Transfer" most likely means pass.
(this has only been "proven" in CA and not other states)
Thanks!
I actually just went through some more of the forum and found this thread, which has some more input from others!
"NAPLEX: results by mail , Registration closed, NULL Q&As"

Reactions: 1 user
How sure are you of the "null" indication? Have you actually heard of other test takers seeing the "null" in place of the "add score transfer" or are you speculating?
I have read through the past post and talked to others that have experienced this. I have never encountered anyone who failed when they had "add score transfer". However there are people with "null" status that received passing score in the pass

Last edited:
In CA, "null" means fail and "Add Score Transfer" most likely means pass.
(this has only been "proven" in CA and not other states)

Just got my NAPLEX score. I passed. I am in CA and my "add score transfer" showed up 3 days after taking the test. It took almost 3 weeks to get my results.

I'm in CA, took Naplex on 6/25 status changed to Add score transfer after 3-4 days. Got the result by mail today 8/12. Passed. So I'd to confirm the Add Score Transfer theory is accurate so far.

Did you end up passing???

Members don't see this ad :)
You just made me so happy! I will keep praying... I left my exam with tears... I've been going to bed regretting so many things happened during exam ... if this is true then God is listening and hard work pays off... I studied RxPrep 3 times chapter by chapter but ended up getting complicated cases on exam n running out of time and blaming myself everyday since I took the test ....

Another quick data point. One of the interns I work with failed the NAPLEX and DID NOT have the score transfer option a few days after taking the test. Looks like this is a reliable indicator for people in California.

Another quick data point. One of the interns I work with failed the NAPLEX and DID NOT have the score transfer option a few days after taking the test. Looks like this is a reliable indicator for people in California.
I hope your colleague passes the test just fine next time! Really praying for everyone

Did she/he have the NULL instead of the score transfer?

Recently took NAPLEX, am a California applicant. 3 days after the exam, registration closed and is no longer under "Active Registrations" but moved to the bottom under "My Registration History". The "Add Score Transfer" button is absent but "Null" is not there either. It just shows the state that were previously selected for a score transfer. Does anyone know what this means?? Does this mean the score transfer button could be absent because that option was already exhausted or should that button still be there anyway?

Ppl that took test the same day as me, have received the letter already. And I still see nothing in my mailbox. Im really worry that I might not have passed the exam.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Recently took NAPLEX, am a California applicant. 3 days after the exam, registration closed and is no longer under "Active Registrations" but moved to the bottom under "My Registration History". The "Add Score Transfer" button is absent but "Null" is not there either. It just shows the state that were previously selected for a score transfer. Does anyone know what this means?? Does this mean the score transfer button could be absent because that option was already exhausted or should that button still be there anyway?

I also have this same issue. Does anyone know what this means?

Agree null means you didn't pass at least in california...

anyone have suggestions for biostat extra practice. DYING with it

I am seriously mad right now. Took NAPLEX Aug 7 and never got any mail from CA BOP. I had "add score transfer" when registration closed. I assumed that's a good news but I haven't received a physical letter for 6 weeks now. Emailed them twice with no answer. Call was useless. Any suggestion? Is it possible that I fail?

I am seriously mad right now. Took NAPLEX Aug 7 and never got any mail from CA BOP. I had "add score transfer" when registration closed. I assumed that's a good news but I haven't received a physical letter for 6 weeks now. Emailed them twice with no answer. Call was useless. Any suggestion? Is it possible that I fail?

It might be because it was sent to the wrong address? I took the NAPLEX after you and heard back via snail mail in about a week.

I thought so too. I emailed them just to confirm but NO ONE answers. T__T
Edit: I called the BOP and they said my address on file is correct. Nothing they can do so I have to wait for exact 45 days to get the response. I'm crying right now.

Last edited:
I thought so too. I emailed them just to confirm but NO ONE answers. T__T
Edit: I called the BOP and they said my address on file is correct. Nothing they can do so I have to wait for exact 45 days to get the response. I'm crying right now.

Get someone from the board on phone!!!

I took my exam on 9/11/17 and my page looks exactly like that! It just changed to the second image today... I hope that means I passed!!

Last edited:
UPDATED: They sent mail this week.Now I'm worried if I pass or not. So much anxiety.
Did you get your letter yet? I took mine on 9/5 and still haven't heard anything back. I don't know anyone who took it the same date as I did, but people say it only took about 2 weeks to get results, now I'm worried

Did you get your letter yet? I took mine on 9/5 and still haven't heard anything back. I don't know anyone who took it the same date as I did, but people say it only took about 2 weeks to get results, now I'm worried

I haven't heard back either and I took mine 9/7 :(. Let me know if you receive yours?

edit: they lied to me. I never received any mail. Does it mean I failed? That's really cruel to keep me hanging in false hope. :grumpy:

edit: they lied to me. I never received any mail. Does it mean I failed? That's really cruel to keep me hanging in false hope. :grumpy:

Wow, yours has taken a really long time! I called BOP yesterday and was able to speak with someone. I pressed 0 right away they picked up faster and said I should get my letter by monday or tuesday.

So, this applies only to California? I am in the different state and my case is closed and I see score transfer option on the NABP webpage though. Hope this is a positive sign to me too.

I did call them this Thursday, and they sent me everything. haha. Passed both tests, but the wait is really painful.

I'd hate to bump an old thread but just to add:

Took WI NAPLEX on 27th Dec 2017 (WI is a state that doesn't report scores either)

On the 2nd January the status changed to closed. I only have the score transfer option next to it. Waiting for state board to update my profile - if I passed as per the board then maybe this too means that the "myth" applies to WI state as well.

EDIT: State board emailed my results and updated my profile - I passed! Seems this also applies to WI Naplex as of now as well.

Last edited:
Can't speak on the NAPLEX except that I passed and it said "Add Score Transfer" but for the MPJE, my state does not allow online score checking, it said "NULL" and I still passed...