You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Earning money and live in USA
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is impossible to answer this question with greater details without knowing your salary, budget, location, etc
You’ll be fine .
But seriously- we can’t tell you more because we don’t know what residency you are going to and different hospitals have different rates
But seriously- we can’t tell you more because we don’t know what residency you are going to and different hospitals have different rates
Only the nights when you are on call!Neurosurgeon or Cardic surgeon. And I know my question a bit strange but can resident stay to sleep in the hospital?
You will also find that health insurance will be available through your residency as a benefit or at a low cost.
You are not listening to us . Different hospitals pay differently .Neurosurgeon or Cardic surgeon. And I know my question a bit strange but can resident stay to sleep in the hospital?
Oh, I think it would be good to live with friends in NewYork that invited me and I dont really know a lot about salaries in NY for residents. I want to by food and insurance for myself and work hard + mb live in a hospital if its possible
You can't live in the hospital. Most people don't want to live in the hospital.
YesIs it possible for a resident to earn 64,000$ annually and live only on wages or even save money?
That depends upon your spending habitsHow much can resident save money annually? I have heard that prices and insurance are quite high + inflation.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw this title and was hoping it was going be an AMA thread...
My friend lives on probably less in Seattle doing IM residency. He is very frugal. Splurging for him is McDonald's. Health insurance could be through employer, and mine is maybe $50 per month, something like that (no family).Is it possible for a resident to earn 64,000$ annually and live only on wages or even save money?
Plan out your own budget. Do you have a specific question about how much certain things cost in NY?
There’s a near zero percent chance of matching to neurosurgery or CT surgery as a FMG.Neurosurgeon or Cardic surgeon. And I know my question a bit strange but can resident stay to sleep in the hospital?
Vietnhadr11
New Member
I have to say that you have zero percent chance of matching to NS or CS.Neurosurgeon or Cardic surgeon. And I know my question a bit strange but can resident stay to sleep in the hospital?
Actually, many resident have earned 64000$ annually. But different hospitals pay different salary. So you only know how much you can earn until you get the job.
If you get selected to interview at a program through ERAS, they'll tell you how much they'll pay you per year of your residency when you go to tour and interview.
lol agreedThere’s a near zero percent chance of matching to neurosurgery or CT surgery as a FMG.
Health and dental insurance will be available through your training program. It will come directly out of your paycheck and you should take the group insurance offered through your job as it will be cheaper than anything else you can buy on the open market. You likely do not need life insurance as it appears you do not have dependents.Oh, I think it would be good to live with friends in NewYork that invited me and I dont really know a lot about salaries in NY for residents. I want to by food and insurance for myself and work hard + mb live in a hospital if its possible
Professional malpractice insurance is generally covered by your program but make sure it has tail coverage if necessary. If you match in New York and are coming by yourself (which it seems you might be) you can get roommates like your friends to share the rent/utility costs for an apartment. You will need to live closer to the hospital if you're in a surgical specialty to avoid unnecessary commuting time in addition to the relatively long work day.
Daytime conference food will frequently be available while you are working in most training programs. The later afternoon /evening food might be less readily available post-covid. But if you're enterprising enough you could certainly eat for free at the associated medical campus although with an average resident salary you shouldn't have to do that.
Why is that so hard to get to NS or CS?I have to say that you have zero percent chance of matching to NS or CS.
Actually, many resident have earned 64000$ annually. But different hospitals pay different salary. So you only know how much you can earn until you get the job.
Yes, please. I want to know how much do u need to pay in NY for strong required expenses(for example, insurance), excluding car rent, clothes, etc.My friend lives on probably less in Seattle doing IM residency. He is very frugal. Splurging for him is McDonald's. Health insurance could be through employer, and mine is maybe $50 per month, something like that (no family).
Plan out your own budget. Do you have a specific question about how much certain things cost in NY?
Thank you for advices!Health and dental insurance will be available through your training program. It will come directly out of your paycheck and you should take the group insurance offered through your job as it will be cheaper than anything else you can buy on the open market. You likely do not need life insurance as it appears you do not have dependents.
Professional malpractice insurance is generally covered by your program but make sure it has tail coverage if necessary. If you match in New York and are coming by yourself (which it seems you might be) you can get roommates like your friends to share the rent/utility costs for an apartment. You will need to live closer to the hospital if you're in a surgical specialty to avoid unnecessary commuting time in addition to the relatively long work day.
Daytime conference food will frequently be available while you are working in most training programs. The later afternoon /evening food might be less readily available post-covid. But if you're enterprising enough you could certainly eat for free at the associated medical campus although with an average resident salary you shouldn't have to do that.
I am not inclined to spend money on clothes, accessories. Eat simple food without flavor enhancers.That depends upon your spending habits
They are tremendously competitive, neurosurgery more than cardiothoracic surgery, and US programs favor domestic applicants. It is technically doable but a foreign medical graduate has to punch far outside their weight class to make it more likely.Why is that so hard to get to NS or CS?
Got it, thank you!They are tremendously competitive, neurosurgery more than cardiothoracic surgery, and US programs favor domestic applicants. It is technically doable but a foreign medical graduate has to punch far outside their weight class to make it more likely.
OP- the more pertinent question is can you get any residency anywhere in America? If you can, you’ll earn enough to survive. If you’re really frugal, live with roommates etc, you can save some amount of money. Your lack of awareness of difficulty of matching a surgical specialty as an international student indicates you have a lot more homework to do if you’re gonna have a chance of coming to the states for training. Look up the match results and look at the proportion of international students in the various specialties that you might be interested in.
Yes it's possible. The median US income is around $68,000 a year. So a bit less than half of Americans subsist on a resident's salary or less. Studies show that once you reach about $80,000 per year in the states, happiness levels plateau after steadily increasing, which I take to mean that serious income worries tend to stop around that point.
I would say that for a single person with no children, $35,000 is a living (though not pleasant) wage for a "cheap" city or medium suburb. I lived in a US city making $27,000/yr as a barista while I was applying to medical school. My mother paid my phone bill and my wife and I paid income-prorated rent. Since she was making more, I covered about 1/3 of the rent. Since I worked in the food service industry, i was able to eat roughly half my meals per week free or cheap. I was insured through the state (medicaid) because my income was low. I was making monthly payments to the bank and the insurance company for my car. Also sometimes paid for bus pass because parking at work was $18 per day if you didn't get in at 6am to get the employee spot (I'm still salty). My budget felt tight and I couldn't splurge on things but I had enough to survive. I was able to buy a couple new cloths once a year. I was budget conscious but didn't have to do all my shopping at discount stores. I was able to do fun things but mostly tried to keep outings to < $20 and not more than 2-3 times per month.
Edit for detail
I would say that for a single person with no children, $35,000 is a living (though not pleasant) wage for a "cheap" city or medium suburb. I lived in a US city making $27,000/yr as a barista while I was applying to medical school. My mother paid my phone bill and my wife and I paid income-prorated rent. Since she was making more, I covered about 1/3 of the rent. Since I worked in the food service industry, i was able to eat roughly half my meals per week free or cheap. I was insured through the state (medicaid) because my income was low. I was making monthly payments to the bank and the insurance company for my car. Also sometimes paid for bus pass because parking at work was $18 per day if you didn't get in at 6am to get the employee spot (I'm still salty). My budget felt tight and I couldn't splurge on things but I had enough to survive. I was able to buy a couple new cloths once a year. I was budget conscious but didn't have to do all my shopping at discount stores. I was able to do fun things but mostly tried to keep outings to < $20 and not more than 2-3 times per month.
Edit for detail
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Income - debt service - cost of living = savings + discretionary spending.
Thanks!Income - debt service - cost of living = savings + discretionary spending.
Remember, $64,000 is a lot more than many families make in this country. It's actually in the range of many initial jobs out of college. I realize that's not a fair comparison since residents are much more highly trained, I'm simply using that to make the point that you should have no problem living on those wages. You might not be able to save a huge amount given loans but you should not have a problem surviving either. You won't be living like a king, but if that's your goal, you're probably in the wrong field.