easier PCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mchang521

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know on the PCAT website it has specific breakdowns of each section, like how percent of organic chemistry and what percent of general chemistry and stuff. I was just wondering do you guys feel that all 4 PCAT dates are about the same level of difficulty??? I've taken the PCAT twice (october and january). I found that in the october PCAT, there was very little organic chem, very little microbio. but in the january one, the # of organic and microbio was significantly higher.

I didn't study for the october one and scored about 15 points higher than the january one, which i spent 1 month studying for.

I know the scoring on the PCAT is not based on the number of questions you got right, it's the overall percentile and you're being compared to everyone that took the same PCAT on the same date. I'm reapplying to pharm school next year, and i plan on retaking the PCAT one more time. which PCAT section do you recommend? the august or the october?? would the august one be less competitive since most current freshmen want to wait till october, or should i take the october becuz i will have taken all my pre reqs and will be at an advantage compared to other people??

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmmm, I really do think it is random - but I'm taking it for the first time in a week and a half.

BUT, based on logic, I would think August would be easier than October - because the pool of test-takers would be smaller. I would think the # of people taking the test would grow as you get closer and closer to application deadlines.

I really don't think you can say one test date will be easier than another, but based on the numbers, I would think the earlier the better.

BUT, based on logic, I would think August would be easier than October - because the pool of test-takers would be smaller. I would think the # of people taking the test would grow as you get closer and closer to application deadlines.

Umm.. I think your score is based on the number of test-takers over the previous 2-3 years and not the pool of takers at that specific date.

Umm.. I think your score is based on the number of test-takers over the previous 2-3 years and not the pool of takers at that specific date.

I probably should have said "based on deductive reasoning according to the OP's logic..."

Does that make more sense?

As I stated, I don't think ANY of the dates are easier over another.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the October test too and I can say there was very little organic on it.

I'm retaking this year.

I would bet the October test to be easier than the August one. The October test takes place during regular classes so people won't have as much time to prepare, furthermore, I believe it's the last test of the year so it's the one all the procrastinators will be taking too.

So your test will be full of people who waited till the last moment and people aren't fully prepared. Therefore, in comparison, you'll do better.

People who take it in August will be the ones who have been studying all summer.

Still I plan on taking it in August, at least for now but after posting this, I'm considering changing my mind.

More people taking the PCAT will most likely make it easier to score higher.

EXACTLY! It doesn't matter when you take the exam, you're compared against the previous 2-3 years of test takers. You're not just compared against the people who took the exam on that date.

One important note is that there are different forms of the exam, so one exam may contain more organic than others. In that respect, people may score better or worse, depending on which form of the exam that you receive.

EXACTLY! It doesn't matter when you take the exam, you're compared against the previous 2-3 years of test takers. You're not just compared against the people who took the exam on that date.

One important note is that there are different forms of the exam, so one exam may contain more organic than others. In that respect, people may score better or worse, depending on which form of the exam that you receive.

so 80% composite means you did 80% better than the test takers since 2-3 years ago? if this field keeps geting more competitive, doesn't it mean that eventually to score a 90% would be like getting 1 or 2 questions wrong in each section??

sounds kinda crazy...

so 80% composite means you did 80% better than the test takers since 2-3 years ago? if this field keeps geting more competitive, doesn't it mean that eventually to score a 90% would be like getting 1 or 2 questions wrong in each section??

sounds kinda crazy...

I think they'll switch up on the questions by putting more ochem and more microbio, which seems to be in effect. I believe ochem is about 40% of the current chemistry section right now?

I don't think it'll reach that high in the 90%'s. If you're thinking that there will be more people taking the PCAT in the future, of course there will be people from both extremes of the spectrum. So it'll kind of even out.

I think they'll switch up on the questions by putting more ochem and more microbio, which seems to be in effect. I believe ochem is about 40% of the current chemistry section right now?

I don't think it'll reach that high in the 90%'s. If you're thinking that there will be more people taking the PCAT in the future, of course there will be people from both extremes of the spectrum. So it'll kind of even out.

TRUTH!

hwaiting, You're assuming that the applicant field is getting stronger; If anything, I think that the applicant field has become much weaker. Heck, I would have applied to Pharmacy school out of undergrad if I would have known that a low-3 GPA would be accepted at a majority of state schools with a solid PCAT score. By assuming one end of the bell curve is increasing, you're making quite a flawed assumption.

lol, there are plenty of ppl with minimum everything get in! like 2.5 gpa with 65% composite... especially into new schools!!

lol, there are plenty of ppl with minimum everything get in! like 2.5 gpa with 65% composite... especially into new schools!!

This is what we don't want, or at least not for current and future pharmacists. Job saturation is one thing, but by having new schools opening up and lower standards will only making it worse. I agree with most of everyone in here that I just hope a minimum requirement of a bachelor's will go in effect soon. I just hope.

This is what we don't want, or at least not for current and future pharmacists. Job saturation is one thing, but by having new schools opening up and lower standards will only making it worse. I agree with most of everyone in here that I just hope a minimum requirement of a bachelor's will go in effect soon. I just hope.

For a minimum Bachelors to be effective, the field of practice of pharmacists must be expanded considerably. Otherwise, why would one need a bachelors degree to get into a bachelors equivalent program? Sounds CRAZY!!!!!!.

P.S. Gate keepers should remember that, some one opened the gate for them to get to other the other side.
I dont understand all this panic about " Pharmacist are flooding the whole country!"

No, for percentile scoring to be effective (mean anything) a test needs to be sufficiently difficult that (nearly) no one gets every question on any given section correct and sufficiently few people get almost all correct.

Your percentile score is also against all people that take the PCAT, including those that do so poorly they end up not applying, those that do poorly and retake, and those that do poorly and apply but never get it, etc.

For a minimum Bachelors to be effective, the field of practice of pharmacists must be expanded considerably. Otherwise, why would one need a bachelors degree to get into a bachelors equivalent program? Sounds CRAZY!!!!!!.

P.S. Gate keepers should remember that, some one opened the gate for them to get to other the other side.
I dont understand all this panic about " Pharmacist are flooding the whole country!"

Um the D in Pharm.D. stands for doctor...

i thought i would chime in about the percentile ranking. It based a first time examinees from october 2004 - may 2007.

Thats from the pearson website here is the URL

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_FAQs.pdf

So you are really only being compared to people who are taking it their first time so essential if everyone kept retaking the pcat and studied sufficiently then everyone could be in the 90's percentile wise

i thought i would chime in about the percentile ranking. It based a first time examinees from october 2004 - may 2007.

Thats from the pearson website here is the URL

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_FAQs.pdf

So you are really only being compared to people who are taking it their first time so essential if everyone kept retaking the pcat and studied sufficiently then everyone could be in the 90's percentile wise

Really?? Our scores are based only on first-time takers? I guess that's better than competing against everyone in those years who took it repeatedly.

Really?? Our scores are based only on first-time takers? I guess that's better than competing against everyone in those years who took it repeatedly.

Yep, I'm continually amazed at the number of people who take it for the first time and don't study. So there are going to be lots of bad scores in that bunch from all the people who took it just to see how they would do.

Yep, I'm continually amazed at the number of people who take it for the first time and don't study. So there are going to be lots of bad scores in that bunch from all the people who took it just to see how they would do.

Is the Pearson practice test scored the same way, based on first-time test takers?

What's interesting about that is two of the schools that I visited suggested that everyone take the PCAT once just for the heck of it to get a feel for the test and use the second test for application purposes. Imagine if people don't do "no score" so that they can see how they "stack up"...

This past weekend was my first test and hopefully my last! I, unfortunately, cannot afford a "just because" test!

I think you are all fooling yourselves guessing that October is easier than august. Yes im sure some of the tests are a little easier than others but thats just the luck of the draw, I dont think pearson sets up a "easier test" or else everyoen would know about it and not take it at any other offered time.

There are several combinations of test forms available for the PCAT varying in difficulties. However, Pearson takes into account the difficulties of those tests and grades them accordingly. For example, if you get the easiest test possible for the PCAT then you would have to get more correct answers as possible compared to a harder test form. This method balances the scoring process. Therefore, it is nearly impossible to determine if Jan, June, Aug, or Oct would be easier or harder. It's completely random.