Easiest Hospitalist Gigs You've Found

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuckySurgeon7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people talk about difficult hospitalist gigs, but what is the easiest job you've had or seen? You can define easy in your response, but specifically I'm thinking fewest patient encounters per day, no procedures, or you could say most time off without being too rough when you're on duty.

Members don't see this ad.

As a hospitalist, you can moonlight at some VA hospitals for $200-$250/hr in the ICU at night. At some places you can work in the ER for the same, and it's basically urgent care. Used to work with those guys in residency. All they did was sleep and transfer patients out. 1)VA ICU is always on diversion 2) not real ICU patients 3) you can always transfer them to the closest hospital for reasons of understaffing because there is not support at night for any specialty and you can't call anyone in if you need them. Also all non VA hospitals love to accept the patients because of VA reimbursement.

Other close second is being a hospitalist at the VA where you can refuse to admit from the ER for almost any reason and have the ER transfer, and on top of that you have like 2-8 patients a day as a rounder.

Otherwise, you might be working for your paycheck.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if there are many "easy" critical care gigs however?
Well, isn’t the whole VA thing about easy money? Is that not true for all departments?
But honestly, years ago, I tried to apply to a VA job and the amount of time that it took for someone to get back to me made me not so interested. The one thing I remember about the VA in residency was that we never lacked equipment.

Reactions: 1 users
I need a VA gig.

I have trouble stomaching the crap inpatient care that goes on there... if it weren’t for that the VA is an awesome gig to work because of the benefits and pension etc

Reactions: 1 user
Those floor nurses can be so lazy.

It’s not just the floor nurses. EVERYBODY was lazy and tried to do as little work as possible at the 2 VAs I rotated through as a med student and as a resident.

Reactions: 1 user