"easiest/most realistic" med school to get accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My worries are the same as barb's. I got waitlisted in one of the easier schools posted and am still waiting for a decision from a higher ranked school.

Members don't see this ad.

Barb and Hero, I've heard that often these "easy" schools you've described will waitlist overqualified applicants. They do so not because they don't WANT you, but because they're pretty sure you won't want THEM! So if you actually DO want to go there, supposedly writing a letter will pretty easily get you a spot in their class.

•••quote:••• This is what worries me. I interviewed at MCPHU in December and was waitlisted. If I was waitlisted at a so-called "easy" school to get into even after interviewing fairly early in the cycle, should I expect outright rejections from schools like UCLA and Mount Sinai (where I interviewed in February)?

••••No. Admissions don't seem to really have all that much to do with rankings. Every school looks for something different when filling their classes. These schools wouldn't have interviewed you if they weren't initially interested. There are no "easy" schools to get into. There are schools that look at people with lower stats, but those aren't necessarily "easy" schools. For one thing these "easy" schools get many thousands more applications than some of the "harder" schools. Making them harder to get into in their own way. Anyway, I think that interviewing really early in the cycle was bad this year because they were waitlisting more people early on due to AMCAS stuff.

Don't worry! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by medicine2006:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•What about Temple?•••••Temple is partially funded by the state of PA. They accept about 28% of PA applicants and only 3-4% out-of state. So unless you are a resident of PA Temple is not one of those safety schools.•••••I was at Temple last week and I believe they accept 40% in state and 60% out of state. The 2000-2001 class was 36% in state according to the MSAR. The MSAR also says that the average gpa is 3.4, so I would say it could go on the list of "easier" schools to get into, no?

The easiest school to get into would be your state school, with a dash of luck.

NYMC seems to be an "easy" school for anybody, but the problem is that they do invite a LOT of people for interview. As the applicant pool begins to get wiser on what schools are they most competitive, there really is no such thing as an easy school. But the barometer of your chances would definitely be the schools in your area (Check their rosters and see where the applicants came from, at least).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by barb:
•This is what worries me. I interviewed at MCPHU in December and was waitlisted. If I was waitlisted at a so-called "easy" school to get into even after interviewing fairly early in the cycle, should I expect outright rejections from schools like UCLA and Mount Sinai (where I interviewed in February)? :confused: •••••I'd say, at least for UCLA, don't expect a rejection. The UC schools are so pathetically far behind this year, I bet they'll still be interviewing through July.

bump

(might be helpful for those still picking schools to apply)

Just thought I'd add that as it turned out, Temple accepted only about 25% out of state this year (making me pretty lucky). But that seems to have been an anomaly somehow, I guess due to accepting too many in-staters initially. So with average stats from California, I'd probably still take a chance and apply. The secondary's not too bad. :)

Your state school is your best bet. These schools listed have relatively easy admissions stats:

MCP-H
University of Florida
Alabama
Finch
Miami
Tufts
Wake Forest
Wayne

Just apply to enough safety schools (and more!) and you should be able to get in somewhere.

Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
What about Temple?
In Pennsylvania...Pitt, Penn State, or Jefferson are more realistic for an out-of-stater with only a 30 MCAT.

Last year's USNews had Temple's MCAT average above 31 and higher than Jefferson's or Pitt's MCAT average (Penn State's wasn't listed).

Also, Jefferson is a private school, so anyone from any state would have a better shot at them than Pitt, which is a public school.

So, I'd defintely apply to at least Jefferson.

Good luck. ;)

On the topic of "easy" schools giving acceptances....

At an interview recently, my interviewer said, "I think everyone will love you file, however, they will ask me if I think the school can get you to come."

Behind this, I wouldn't be surprised if the "too good for this school" attitute exists. I find it mildly amusing now, but I have a feeling in the spring I won't be happy. I wouldn't be surprised if a large chunk of statistically good students aren't considered good enough for top 20 schools, but most other schools don't consider their files seriously because they assume they will get in at a top 20 school.

bumping for the 2004 peeps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Nirvana
Your state school is your best bet. These schools listed have relatively easy admissions stats:

MCP-H
University of Florida
Alabama
Finch
Miami
Tufts
Wake Forest
Wayne

UAB requires a 30 MCAT and 3.5 GPA from out-of-state applicants before they will even consider your application. Their admissions reps are not shy about telling out-of-staters this.

if you are out of state but have family in the state which the medical school u are applying to does that help at all???

Originally posted by Nirvana

MCP-H
University of Florida
Alabama
Finch
Miami
Tufts
Wake Forest
Wayne

UF is very concerned with you actually going there. If they don't think that you will go there, they will not interview you or will waitlist you. A friend of mine accepted to Hopkins was waitlisted at Florida, and is a Florida resident. However, they didn't think she would attend, and she was pulled off the waitlist in late May. Keep that in mind.

To even by considered by Miami as an out of stater you need to have impressive credentials. If you are an in-stater you can slide with not as impressive credential but it is still very competitive especially now that they opened up about 25% of the freshman class to out of staters.

is wayne state a good school?

Its a pretty good school as long as you don't mind downtown detroit. The parking lot is right across from the med building and most students live in suburbs. Wayne is also surrounded by numerous hospitals, great for 3rd and 4th year. Lots of different pathology coming from inner city detroit also.

"UAB requires a 30 MCAT and 3.5 GPA from out-of-state applicants before they will even consider your application. Their admissions reps are not shy about telling out-of-staters this."

I recieved a secondary from UAB out of state with a 3.4 and 35. I called them to make sure it wasnt a mistake and they said it was not a mistake. Their criteria are not set in stone. btw i think its a 28 min. mcat...anyway, i suppose it was my 35 which caused them to cut me .9 worth of slack.

Originally posted by bubbajones
if you are out of state but have family in the state which the medical school u are applying to does that help at all???

i would like to know the same thing.

I have aunts in 2 of the states I am applying to, NY and NJ.
I wonder if that would give me any advantage as an out of state applicant.

I am a ny resident and I got into suny downstate and upstate, but chose to go to nymc. It has among the highest board scores in the country, good location and a high match list.
It does take a lot of California, but so do most private schools. I think that since Californians have a hard time getting into school in CA, they end up going to a private school as their *last choice*.
I think the school is academically and clinically strong.

I think that BU would have to be taken off the list of easy schools. I don't know anyone from Cali that got an interview there, even though we all applied.

NYMed, Finch and MCP are good for out of state though, and I think they're all decent programs as well.

Also....I think you can have "above average" stats and still get interviews at these programs. There's a lot of variability in the admission process. I interviewed at a top ten (got rejected) the same weekend as interviewing at finch.

Wake Forest is relatively easy to get into? Wow..did not know that....

none said:
You don't need 35 schools. 25 is perfectly fine and perhaps overdoing it a bit, even as a CA resident. Are you going to be in school while applying? Do you honestly think you'll have time to complete 35 secondaries, much less go on even 15 interviews? No, you won't and even if you have the time, you probably don't have the money. The vast majority of schools do not screen primaries and the less competitive schools sometimes interview over a thousand people. It doesn't cost them nearly as much to interview as it does you. Apply to a wide range of schools, but just be heavy with those that are at or below your MCAT/GPA combination with only 3 or 4 that are above. (Yes, these will probably be the UCs.)

its tough...but its not overdoing it.
cali is tough and gettin out of state is hard as well.
i applied 43 schools but only got 4 interview invites.
you dont know whats gonna happen...

unfortunately...almost none of the "Easy" schools that have been listed on here has shown my any love...not that i care but just giving the OP some insight. so many people apply to these schools actually making it tough to get accepted to these alleged "easier" schools as well.

good luck tho...apply to the 35 schools to increase your chances.

Oneuro said:
I think that BU would have to be taken off the list of easy schools. I don't know anyone from Cali that got an interview there, even though we all applied.

there are a good number im sure. one ex is sdn member AlreadyInDebt is from socal and has gotten an acceptance as well.

One mistake I made was not writing a supplementary essay from schools that said I can choose to write one if I wish. These essays are not really optional, write them or you won't get an interview.

I am from Cali. . . any school I got into can't be too hard, the list includes:

Creighton (by far the easiest)
Boston Univ.
Wake Forest

BTW: anyone on Creighton or BU waitlist is about to get a bump, as I have chosen Wake.

I don't think any med school is easy to get into! There are a set number of spots in each school, and even if a med school has 'lower stats' there is still a finite number of interview spots and many qualified applicants get rejected.

prlester said:
I am a ny resident and I got into suny downstate and upstate, but chose to go to nymc. It has among the highest board scores in the country, good location and a high match list.
It does take a lot of California, but so do most private schools. I think that since Californians have a hard time getting into school in CA, they end up going to a private school as their *last choice*.
I think the school is academically and clinically strong.

no offense, but the nymc match list sucks. very few match into competitive specialties. similarly, board scores are meaningless because it's up to you, not the school.

Good location? It's located right next to a prison.

NYMC is a great medical school with amazing board scores and great matches, so I don't know what you mean when you say their match list sucks?!? here are some FACTS: 14 students got Anesthesiology, 14 in Emerg,
52 in Internal Medicine, Neuro 3, opthamology 3, and orthopaedic surg 4!!, etc etc etc....

So I don't know what you mean by 'match list sucks' because its amazing! NYMC is a very reputable school, being around for over 150 yrs and anyone who gets in and goes there has a right to be VERY proud.

ocean11 said:
NYMC is a great medical school with amazing board scores and great matches, so I don't know what you mean when you say their match list sucks?!? here are some FACTS: 14 students got Anesthesiology, 14 in Emerg,
52 in Internal Medicine, Neuro 3, opthamology 3, and orthopaedic surg 4!!, etc etc etc....

So I don't know what you mean by 'match list sucks' because its amazing! NYMC is a very reputable school, being around for over 150 yrs and anyone who gets in and goes there has a right to be VERY proud.
Not to mention around 20 people matched in rads, which is a bloody impossible residency these days. There's also been the odd match into derm and rad onc in last year and the year before. Point being, whether you place more stock in reputation or think matching is "on you," this school certainly ain't holdin' anyone back.

What I find bizzarre is how hung up people are on the prison. Why do you care? It doesn't in any way affect the lives of the students at the school; I jog by there regularly, we play football outside of the prison, and so on. It's just another building. I would say that the single worst thing about NYMC *can* be the location; if you really, really need city life, the main campus is going to drive you bat****, though you can move into the city for the last two years. Personally, I love the setting, but it's not going to be true for everybody.

peace

Grades and MCAT scores are one way to measure competitiveness and your chances of getting in, but I would also look at the ratio of total number of applicants to number of people admitted. This can be a tough estimate because schools don't always report total acceptances. If you look at schools one by one, you can get a rough estimate of the number of people that get accepted and attend--this is a big factor in competitiveness. This angle helps explain schools like BU which don't look very competitive in terms of scores, but do send out some anomalous rejections to good applicants, because they get a ton of applications. I get the impression that one of the biggest factors of acceptees who attend (for schools that don't get USnews love) is location. Second, is cost and financial aid available. So just pick schools in the middle of nowhere that are rediculously expensive and your chances are pretty good. :)

NYMC has a strong matchlist,it absolutely does NOT suck.It is comparable or superior in quality to most US med schools.The equal of NYU..no.A New York state resident passing up Upstate/Downstate to go to NYMC...an uncommon event for sure.I suppose if money is no concern and you love Westchester,otherwise there is no real benefit.

ny skindoc said:
NYMC has a strong matchlist,it absolutely does NOT suck.It is comparable or superior in quality to most US med schools.The equal of NYU..no.A New York state resident passing up Upstate/Downstate to go to NYMC...an uncommon event for sure.I suppose if money is no concern and you love Westchester,otherwise there is no real benefit.
Y'know, myself and quite a few of my classmates passed up NY state schools to attend NYMC. My year might be an anomaly, but I reckon it's not as uncommon as one would think.

NYMC in my opinion is an excellent school, with a safe location in westchester county Upstate New York. The only reason why they don't show up on US News and World Reports, according to my student host, was that they choose to not participate. My only qualm with the school is the insane amount of debt that one would have after they graduated. Fin Aid Officer said ~160,000 for the average student entering 2004. :scared:

In St. Louis one of the richest areas is Clayton. Actually it's very commercial and very residential at the same time. But definately very exclusive/expensive.

In the middle of downtown Clayton there is a prison! Yes a prison! Actually if you see the building it doesn't look like one but still ...

So i guess if rich 50 year old white men can cope with a prison right next to their office / 1 mil condo, i guess a few med students can also :).

And I looked on their website and found out that you don't have to live in the prison to attend the medical school.

Zweihander said:
Y'know, myself and quite a few of my classmates passed up NY state schools to attend NYMC. My year might be an anomaly, but I reckon it's not as uncommon as one would think.

Indeed they did. To start with, I passed on all the SUNYs

luckyday said:
And I looked on their website and found out that you don't have to live in the prison to attend the medical school.
You don't?!?
GODDAMMIT!!!!!! +pissed+

Why am I always the last one to know?? And I just frikkin went to CostCo and bought a family size of Jiffy Lube.
Bah! :mad:

Zweihander said:
You don't?!?
GODDAMMIT!!!!!! +pissed+

Why am I always the last one to know?? And I just frikkin went to CostCo and bought a family size of Jiffy Lube.

OMG haha... you read my mind (which was think of some sort of lube/bending over in the shower joke) :laugh:

Zweihander said:
You don't?!?
GODDAMMIT!!!!!! +pissed+

STOP POSTING!!! It's time for cell inspection/lockdown

Zweihander said:
And when he talks about "inspecting my cell..."
:scared:
This gives a whole new meaning to Zwei's "perpetually behind" location...

Hi all, I am sorry to pose a noobish question to you but here goes,

CUM Undergrad GPA - 3.16
Sci Undergrad GPA - 3.21
Post Bacc GPA - 3.93
TOTAL GPA - 3.43 (anticipated)

MCAT - 30 P

I am currently 25 hopeing to apply next summer. i think my age is older than average also, will that hurt me?

I have been working for 3 years since I graduated from college. Do you think i stand a chance at getting into medical (MD) school? I am very concerned about my undergrad gpa. I have since worked very hard in post bacc classes but I do not think they will carry the same weight with adcoms as will the regular undergrad classes.

beyond the numbers, i have a PE License in engineering, In school i was very active in several organizations, and now am involved in many professional organizations.

can any of you offer advice?

Thank you kindly.