East Coast Native, West Coast Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ildjn3883

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the east coast holding acceptances at a New York and a California med school. LA is sounding really nice (especially with the near-zero temps this week) but I'm concerned that attending med school over west might reduce my chances of matching back east, which I ultimately want to do. I've heard that garnering honors during clinicals, excelling on Step exams, and presenting a compelling narrative in the residency application are likely more important than actual location of attendance but I can't help but think that residency programs must foster relationships or, if nothing else, are more familiar with schools within their regions and that I should stay east for med school if I want a chance at the more competitive residencies where I'd like to eventually live. Can anyone offer their thoughts about this? Anyone else thinking about going west who hasn't lived there before?

Members don't see this ad.

Go do an away rotation on the east coast, problem solved.

Realistically, I doubt this matters. The biggest difference is that schools with residencies tend to pull from their own class so that helps if you want to stay in that location.

Reactions: 1 user
It will matter to some degree but not likely as much as you think. If you want to go back east, it will be clear to program directors that you would seriously consider going there given where you're from. It's the people that were born and raised in CA or other similarly beautiful place, went to undergrad and med school there, and then are applying to programs in not-so-beautiful places with no real reason to do so that could potentially run into issues.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm concerned that attending med school over west might reduce my chances of matching back east,

That sound you hear is the screeching anger of thousands of angry California applicants urging you to take the East Coast spot so they have a 0.00001% chance of getting it instead.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm from the east coast holding acceptances at a New York and a California med school. LA is sounding really nice (especially with the near-zero temps this week) but I'm concerned that attending med school over west might reduce my chances of matching back east, which I ultimately want to do. I've heard that garnering honors during clinicals, excelling on Step exams, and presenting a compelling narrative in the residency application are likely more important than actual location of attendance but I can't help but think that residency programs must foster relationships or, if nothing else, are more familiar with schools within their regions and that I should stay east for med school if I want a chance at the more competitive residencies where I'd like to eventually live. Can anyone offer their thoughts about this? Anyone else thinking about going west who hasn't lived there before?

OK, serious answer time: Matching into programs out east is WAY less difficult than matching anywhere on the west coast.

Reactions: 3 users
It's also worth pointing out that the east coast has the highest concentration of medical schools and residency programs, so you have that working to your advantage.

I go to school in California and love it here (although I've lived here my entire life). I studied outside in a tank top and shorts today... in the middle of January.

Reactions: 5 users
It's also worth pointing out that the east coast has the highest concentration of medical schools and residency programs, so you have that working to your advantage.

I go to school in California and love it here (although I've lived here my entire life). I studied outside in a tank top and shorts today... in the middle of January.
The joy of living out of doors all year is hard to beat. It expands one's experience of life!

The joy of living out of doors all year is hard to beat. It expands one's experience of life!

hmm, just because it's currently 9 degrees right now where I am doesn't mean I ain't living out doors all year. Nothing beats an 8+ mile run in the snow. (or once I get a chance to go to the nordic center, a good XC ski day).

/though from what you heard from the Cali students at my east coast med school, you'd think anything between a foot of snow on your car to a cloudy afternoon was a life-altering tragedy. Toughen up, people!

/though from what you heard from the Cali students at my east coast med school, you'd think a cloudy afternoon was a life-altering tragedy. Toughen up!
No chance! I'm a lifer. I don't even own a coat.
Water coming down from the sky brought out gawkers here at the school a few weeks ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
No chance! I'm a lifer. I don't even own a coat.
Water coming down from the sky actually brought out gawkers here at the school a few weeks ago!

...which is why you'll probably be at the mercy of those in the Great Lakes states for your food/water supplies in a generation or two.

...which is why you'll probably be at the mercy of those in the Great Lakes states for your food/water supplies in a generation or two.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
But, one good temblor will always scare off the faint of heart!

I wouldn't go to Cali. I like the people I hang out with to be as miserable and high strung as I am. Going to school there with all those laid back surfer brahs would kill me.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I drove with the top down on the car today!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks to those who've responded! Looks pretty pro-California

NY4LIFE
excessive sunshine fake nice people and the permanently three hours behind in everything stuff can DIAF. Fresno is the only tolerable place in CA

I'm not sure who was worse when I lived in Philly, the Californians complaining about the weather, or the NYers complaining that they had trouble culturally entertaining themselves in the 5th biggest city in the country.

Edge to the NYers for their horrid accents.

West coast is the best coast.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure who was worse when I lived in Philly, the Californians complaining about the weather, or the NYers complaining that they had trouble culturally entertaining themselves in the 5th biggest city in the country.

You mean sixth largest city: Phoenix surpassed Philly a long time ago.

What is the school in CA you got accepted to?
If it's USC-Keck then I urge you to go explore the neighboring area before making an acceptance... Compton's not too far from there...

Either way, I'd go with the CA one. You're pretty lucky from the east coast to get an acceptance to not so OOS friendly CA schools which have plenty of CA students competing for them.

If it's USC-Keck then I urge you to go explore the neighboring area before making an acceptance... Compton's not too far from there...

Either way, I'd go with the CA one. You're pretty lucky from the east coast to get an acceptance to not so OOS friendly CA schools which have plenty of CA students competing for them.

Is USC's location more "dangerous" or "bad" as say, JHU's?

Keck is actually not close to Compton. You're thinking about the main USC campus.

Target shooting scared white kids is a popular sport in both neighborhoods...
A brief search of morbidity and mortality for both these schools reveals that no medical students have been harmed in the manner suggested!

A brief search of morbidity and mortality for both these schools reveals that no medical students have been harmed in the manner suggested!

if it wasn't obvious I'm being less than serious. I do think that students should be comfortable in "bad" neighborhoods though. There's a reason why my school's free clinic was in North Philly and not Villanova. It's not like you have to live on campus. Even today I still do some work in a pretty shady area as part of my program. Gives you an interesting perspective.

if it wasn't obvious I'm being less than serious. I do think that students should be comfortable in "bad" neighborhoods though. There's a reason why my school's free clinic was in North Philly and not Villanova. It's not like you have to live on campus.
"Concertina wire must be visible from somewhere on site in order to qualify as a a top notch medical training facility." Sadly, I cannot attribute this quote without losing anonymity! I can tell you he was not a west coast native.

:eyebrow:
2013 USCB MSA Pop. estimates
#6 Philly 6,034,678
#12 Phoenix 4,398,762
Hmm ... not sure about that resource because I've seen several that's listed New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, and so on.

I think the problem is they're using only Phoenix city limits and neglecting to include all the suburbs in the metro area. Since New York City doesn't just include Manhattan but all the boroughs I think many other resources includesuburbs and what would be considered the metro area.

They may also include size of the city in which Philly has a much more dense population than Phoenix which is much more spread out.

Hmm ... not sure about that resource because I've seen several that's listed New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, and so on.

I think the problem is they're using only Phoenix city limits and neglecting to include all the suburbs in the metro area. Since New York City doesn't just include Manhattan but all the boroughs I think many other resources includesuburbs and what would be considered the metro area.

They may also include size of the city in which Philly has a much more dense population than Phoenix which is much more spread out.
Yeah, but unfortunately, the outer boroughs are within the NYC limits. The NYC suburbs are Nassau, Westchester, etc.

Keck is actually not close to Compton. You're thinking about the main USC campus.

USC's main campus isn't even close to Compton. :laugh: Not every "bad"/low income neighbourhood in LA = Compton.

From what I understand, most Keck students live in the surrounding suburbs (South Pas, Alhambra, Silver Lake, etc.) or DTLA and do the classic 'ol LA commute. The area around Keck isn't the slums but it's obviously not the safest. I'd say the more pressing issue is whether or not you want to commute to med school or roll out of bed and go to class.

You can rent at one of the few housing developments close to USC (City View Terrace), but that comes along with some pros/cons. Totally don't know what CA school the OP is referring to, but if anyone is interested in USC housing options check out the attached pdf (originally posted by @Swartzlehman).

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I'd take Keck/East LA over Fresno/SJV every time... even during rush hour. ;)

Attachments

• Salerni Welcome Guide Class of 2018.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, but unfortunately, the outer boroughs are within the NYC limits. The NYC suburbs are Nassau, Westchester, etc.
So according to Wiki (I know, I know) Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the US and Philly is the 5th largest, separated by 50,000 people in the city limits. So I stand corrected.

I have a similar question -- as a California native who went to undergrad on the east coast (and stayed in the same area afterwards), would going to a non-California med school hurt my chances at a California residency/career?

USC's main campus isn't even close to Compton. :laugh:
Growing up, I've heard Compton and South Central used interchangeably (Ice Cube once said that they're the "same thing") which is why I imagined the main USC campus being relatively close to Compton. However, you and Google maps say otherwise so I stand corrected ;)

Growing up, I've heard Compton and South Central used interchangeably (Ice Cube once said that they're the "same thing") which is why I imagined the main USC campus being relatively close to Compton. However, you and Google maps say otherwise so I stand corrected ;)

isn't Compton like CA's bed-stuy?

It is USC Keck. And the NY school is Rochester.

Make an MDApp page. It's hard enough to get into CA IS, but OOS matriculants are usually someone that's competitive for top 10 schools.

I'm probably going to be the only person to say this, but I'd choose Rochester over USC.

UR is an absolutely fantastic school, and I was really surprised at how much I liked Rochester when I visited. Rochester may be the single nerdiest city I've ever been to (and I mean that in a positive way) with more culture than you'd think and it's DIRT CHEAP.

plus.... WEGMANS!

I'm probably going to be the only person to say this, but I'd choose Rochester over USC.

UR is an absolutely fantastic school, and I was really surprised at how much I liked Rochester when I visited. Rochester may be the single nerdiest city I've ever been to (and I mean that in a positive way) with more culture than you'd think and it's DIRT CHEAP.

plus.... WEGMANS!
Wegman's...hmmm.

I miss Wegman's.