Easy Majors and Upper Division Science Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymousername

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried the search but found nothing specific.

I don't plan on taking any upper level bio classes besides biochem in my last semester. Will adcoms view this in a negative way?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you get your requirements done, I guess you should be fine. But keep in mind that you are competing against thousands of other applicants who have probably taken way more than 1 upper division bio classes. It's not just about completing the requirements, it's about going above and beyond them. Clinical experience and volunteering aren't "requirements" per se, but everyone does them.

I guess if you have a strong BCPM already and strong extracurriculars and volunteering, you should be fine. If not, I strongly recommend taking more upper division courses.

I tried the search but found nothing specific.

My major is psychology, it's easy and I find it quite interesting. The upper division classes are fairly straightforward and it is not difficult to get A's/B's in them. My schools psychology program top 5 nationwide but none of the courses I'm planning on taking are only peripherally related to the biological field.

If I maintain my 3.8 in prereqs, will my lack of upper div bio classes that most applicants (who are bio majors) have taken matter?

I don't plan on taking any upper level bio classes besides biochem in my last semester. Will adcoms view this in a negative way?

I asked med students at every interview if they thought a strong science background (many upper division bio classes) is of any benefit in medical school. Most of them told me any benefit is washed by about the second week of medical school due to the fast pace of material. So is a two week head start better than none, yes. Is it worth taking a bunch of hard and unnecessary classes in undergrad, probably not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only really taken biochem and human phys in a way of upper div bio. But then again my chem major kind of keeps me occupied. I haven't had any questions about "lack of bio" though...So I say it does not matter that much.

I asked med students at every interview if they thought a strong science background (many upper division bio classes) is of any benefit in medical school. Most of them told me any benefit is washed by about the second week of medical school due to the fast pace of material. So is a two week head start better than none, yes. Is it worth taking a bunch of hard and unnecessary classes in undergrad, probably not.

Well, it's true that you don't need upper-level science courses. But it's absolutely NOT true that you'll only benefit from it for two weeks. Undergraduate biochemistry is more rigorous than med school biochem, and that alone gives you a distinct advantage in your first year. If you have biochem, anatomy, human physiology, and pharmacology prior to matriculating into med school, you will NOT have to work hard until at least your second year. Even then, you'll have a much easier time than those who haven't had the fundamentals drilled into them multiple times.

Well, it's true that you don't need upper-level science courses. But it's absolutely NOT true that you'll only benefit from it for two weeks. Undergraduate biochemistry is more rigorous than med school biochem, and that alone gives you a distinct advantage in your first year. If you have biochem, anatomy, human physiology, and pharmacology prior to matriculating into med school, you will NOT have to work hard until at least your second year. Even then, you'll have a much easier time than those who haven't had the fundamentals drilled into them multiple times.
Wow, if only every med student had spoken to this pre-med before entering med school! :rolleyes:

If you have biochem, anatomy, human physiology, and pharmacology prior to matriculating into med school, you will NOT have to work hard until at least your second year. Even then, you'll have a much easier time than those who haven't had the fundamentals drilled into them multiple times.

delusions.jpg

When I graduated college six years ago the cush major was criminal justice and only because there was only one instructor on faculty at the time so he couldn't push too hard. What was peculiar is that very few of the majors wanted any kind of career in law enforcement or the criminal justice system.

Psychology was the next choice for easy degrees, and it was the popular minor for biology premeds.

I am a Health Science major, (pretty much I customized my sci electives). I have to take 3-300 level courses. My school Offers a Histology Course (from what I heard a hard course at my school, with very hard exams). I was wondering If I should take Histology or take easier 300 levels courses?

DeJavu?

Then, There will be a fight between the OP and someone else why the OP posted in the Pre-Med forum (since the OP did not want advice from Pre-meds)

haha, yeah it posted twice....so i though, why not maximize my responses?

haha, yeah it posted twice....so i though, why not maximize my responses?
ok, kind of pointless since the mods are going to be all over this like a fat kid on cake to merge it with the other one. or request for it to be moved to the Med Student Forum, get some good feedback, instead of Pre-med gunners

So you are telling me med students are wrong? How are you qualified to make these statements?

So you are telling me med students are wrong? How are you qualified to make these statements?

Fair enough. I'm not a med student yet, and I can't speak to everyone's medical school experience...but then again, most med students can't do so. I'm in a very small and tight-knit major. Med students, residents, and attending physicians who have graduated from my program come back every year to discuss their experiences. Those who continued as medical students at my university tell us to save old exams and quizzes, because they will be repeated during the first year. We take classes WITH medical students, and we are given old exams to review for study, so I believe them. Beyond the classes we take in parallel with medical students (like medical physiology), we take pharmacology, biochemistry, cell biology, and genetics with pharmacology PhD students.

This in no way minimizes what the med students take, but it's not clinically oriented and goes into greater depth than anything any returning med student or physician who graduated our program claims they took in medical school. Some are from our school, but many others are coming back from Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Harvard, Tufts, and UPenn.

So maybe I'm not "qualified" to make these statements. But I'll trust that the 20 or 25 former students who have come back for seminar lectures or alumni events are not misleading all of us by telling us that our first year in medical school (at least in prestigious schools on the East Coast) will be far less daunting for us than it will for those who haven't already encountered these classes.

Again, I can't speak to (and didn't try to speak to) classes taken elsewhere. But although I think highly of my school, I don't think it's the only one that offers similarly difficult and in-depth classes to undergraduates who choose to take classes like biochem, genetics, physiology, and pharmacology.

To be honest it doesn't matter. I've seen plenty of non-science majors get into med school and they do fine. Sure coming from a bio or science background might give you an advantage. But let's face it. Med schools take people that they think will MAKE IT THROUGH med school and get into residency. They take a specific type of person that isn't defined by a science or non-science background but rather they take people who are academically motivated and have an amazing capacity to adapt / learn new things.
Think of it like that and don't be discouraged.

I think one of the biggest issues dealing with starting med school is the volume of material, not the material itself per se. That being said, everyone is trying to take that drink out of the fire hose at the same time. Insert generalization brackets here.