Easy majors in University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iownhonda

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What programs are considered "easy" for a student to obtain a really high gpa in his or her undergraduate years?

Let's be realistic here, majoring in something like biochem and pharmacology is much more difficult and tiring than majoring in something like English, and psychology.

What are you guys' opinions? what do guys think are the easiest majors to take at university?

Members don't see this ad.

political science or american culture

Members don't see this ad :)
communications... everyone on frat row is that major.

History (at least at my school)

I've never heard of family studies, what's that?

OK, I have to object. An English or Psych major can be just as difficult as a physics or Biochem major, it all depends on the person and the schools program. I am a philosophy major and it's not just some easy major. I kknow many people that are BioE's and Elecs and they find it simple, and those same people are very challenged by the HUmanities courses they are "forced to take". I also know others at the opposite extreme. The material for most any major can be challenging, just depends on the person and the school. That being said : Kinesiology!!!!:D

Dr.ImCute said:

what can you do with a communications degree?

i don't even know what it is actually... what is it?
what do you learn when pursuing a communications degree?

is it all about the tv, media, technology communication and things like that?

Communications ! Football players major in Communications

they took our jobs - South Park

To sum it up, BE A HUMANITIES MAJOR. Take your pick really. Though English can be challenging for those who believe a period is in reference to what a girl does every month.

Dr.ImCute said:

Hey I am in a frat and I am a Finance major
Close enough lol
actually Finance is difficult if you have no outside knowledge

THEY TOOK OUR JOBS - CONSERVATIVE WHITE TRASH REDNECK - SOUTH PARK
I AM OF INDIAN ORIGIN AND SO I FIND IT FUNNY :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
What, really, is the point of this thread? How will your life change if you know more about which majors are "easy?" Different majors have different requirements. All of these, of course, are dependent upon the universities/colleges that have the programs.

I was a History major while in college. It, in no manner, was an easy major. In fact, next to Political Science, no other major required as many college classes! I personally found it exceedingly more difficult to write three to four 15-20 page papers (some researched based, but most not) on a monthly basis than memorize pKa values/calculate physics problems...I am certain that the same may be said for an English/Philosophy major at my alma mater.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you kidding me. What's so hard about history, I mean you don't even have to read books anymore, just watch the movie, and poof you just studied for your final. And to compare it with chemistry, that's just wrong!
Well anyways, I do agree that it is not easy to ace classes, regardless of how the material was, because professors grade differently.

English and literature majors are not easy to get high gpas in. Grading is too subjective.

Taking a major just because it is "easy" is pretty silly IMO. You won't do well in something unless you enjoy it. At my school sociology and Psychology were considered "easy" majors mostly because they were filled with only semi-serious students. I would not have majored in either of those because I found the subject matter very boring.

Geology - rocks for jocks. Those classes were a JOKE. I took "the planet earth" and i think i was the only non-athlete in that class. I didnt know a single person b/c the rest of my classes were with all premeds.

Criminal Justice - hey, if all the professional athletes can get a degree in it, im sure you can too!

At UMCP, land of the Terps with numerous accolades in basketball and football, it's criminal justice. I took that class and let me just say I felt like I was in a class with felons. Such a complete joke.

Family studies is another one. There are very few requirements--I think only 4 classes in the 300- or 400-level.

-Liz

As to what is "family studies":

The Family Studies major focuses on the study of families and the problems they face in contemporary society. The major offers excellent training in how to understand family behavior, strengths, and problems using scientifically rigorous methods. Students learn to describe, explain, and improve the quality of family life through education, applied research, policy analysis, and human services program management.

Our Department awards a Bachelors of Science degree in Family Studies. The Family Studies major emphasizes the family as a dynamic social unit and examines individual and family development over the life span. It also addresses social, cultural, historical, and economic trends that affect family functioning and development. Students study a wide range of family issues including changing family forms and lifestyles, family economics, intergenerational relations, family crises, legal problems, work and family issues, domestic violence, poverty, and human service delivery. All students complete a 120-hour internship working in a family-related professional position in an area of career interest.

Our program provides a strong background for students seeking careers in human services, family therapy, family life education, social work, public health, policy analysis, business, and family mediation. The major also provides excellent preparation for graduate study in family studies, family therapy, social work, law, psychology, health education, human resource management, and other behavioral and social science disciplines.

-Liz

Biological Anthropology and Anatomy (BAA) - if your school has it.

1) Poli Sci and Econ
2) Psychology and Sociology
3) humanities in general

For all the poor misguided LIARS talking about how difficult the humanties are... please get a graduation guide and see who gets honors by major. At Duke roughly 75% of the honors went out to poli sci/econ/sociology etc. All of these people "conveniently" had super high gpa's AND managed to do a "senior thesis". Gee... write a 75 page paper based on other people's writings... or do 1 years worth of research in biophysical chemistry and then write a 75 page thesis. I wonder which is harder?

Most science and math people operate under curves and it's statistically impossible for more than 15% of the major to get > 3.8.

Jobs that use science and math pay more, there's a reason for that. Also, Pell grants may increase solely for people majoring in math and sciences.... Again, why do you think that is?

Stop rationalizing against what we already know. Mathematics and the sciences are just a much harder field as a whole than humanities.....

I started college as a poli sci major.was it easy? Hell Yes. But... my GPA improved drastically after i changed into molecular biology. It was 10 times "harder", but because it was challegeing i was a lot more motivated. The thing about "easy" majors is that youll spend most nights drunk or watching TV or whatever else you like to do instead of studying. There is not much pressure to study when your hanging out with the poly sci kids( There are very serious political scientists who will work tremendously hard, its just that unlike a science major, its not the norm.) My BCMP GPA is a full .2 higher than my total because of my time as a social science major. The point is , find something that motivates you personally, dont just look for the easy way out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spell checker is for the week

I'm a double major in sociology and biology. Sociology is excellent because at most schools:

1) It is a short major (less courses than others to complete it)
2) Not too many "gunners," so its fairly easy to do well.
3) Impressive to medical school committees because it shows you have some "personal skills" and awareness of the type of people around you (As with any social science major).
4) Pretty interesting material because you see it around you ALL the time.

MAJOR IN SOC! I HAVE A 3.93 SOCIOLOGY GPA WITH 5x less effort than my science classes! :thumbup:

phaeton_1 said:
I kknow many people that are BioE's and Elecs and they find it simple, and those same people are very challenged by the HUmanities courses they are "forced to take".
That's me...I'm BioE and have taken about 4 humanities classes for a grade, and have gotten B+ in all but one (an A-), whereas I have almost all A's with a few A-'s in my science courses. I would really struggle as an English, philosophy, or dramatic art major. The easiest major is probably one that you're interested in, as long as it doesn't have too much work involved. If I had been a bio major I probably would have gotten all A's (other than the humanities classes) since I would have less classes to take.

phaeton_1 said:
OK, I have to object. An English or Psych major can be just as difficult as a physics or Biochem major, it all depends on the person and the schools program. I am a philosophy major and it's not just some easy major. I kknow many people that are BioE's and Elecs and they find it simple, and those same people are very challenged by the HUmanities courses they are "forced to take". I also know others at the opposite extreme. The material for most any major can be challenging, just depends on the person and the school. That being said : Kinesiology!!!!:D

The school I'm transferring to has new pre-reqs for their kinesiology classes. Now Kin. majors have to take A&P because "students who have taken upper level Biological Science seem to have a greater understanding of the material presented..." or something like that. ;)

I think the "hardest" majors depends on way too many factors (school, falculty etc.) to actually make a definitive statement. I had a teacher who made History impossible to get beyond a "C". He was boring, long-winded and his class required more writing than my English Composition class.

Any class can be difficult. I'm just hoping I get one of those nice sweet professors for Orgo. :D

getianshi said:
A nice cop-out major at my university, on par with communications as to how reputable it is.

Some premeds I know do it and minor in something like biochem. I knew one who got into a top 25 school though, so I guess I shouldn't knock it TOO hard.....

if you're interested: http://ag.arizona.edu/fcs/fshd/undergrad/index.htm

It sounds boring, I could be wrong. :sleep: :sleep:

"they took our jobs"
"deh deh dehhhh"
That was a damn funny southpark episode except for that pile. That was pretty gay.

Premedtomed said:
Communications ! Football players major in Communications

(scene) In the locker room, Dr. Hibbert gives Lubchenko his diagnosis. Homer and Bart watch.

Hibbert: Son, I'm afraid that leg is hanging by a thread.

Lubchenko: Lubchenko must return to game!

Hibbert: [chuckles] Your playing days are over, my friend. But, you can always fall back on your degree in ... [reads chart] communications!? Oh, dear Lord!

Lubchenko: I know! Is phony major. Lubchenko learn nothing. Nothing! [cries]

Hotel Administration @ Cornell...holla!

Recreation administration @ cal poly. I haven't heard of any other university offering this. Sound pretty chill to me, though. :p

From a UT Austin point of view...avoid Astronomy and Geology if you're looking for easy stuff - it sounds good but it isn't an easy A, from what I hear. Go where the athletes go - communications, kinesiology - or the dope fiends - foreign language, history. If people with a huge time commitment to a sport or recreational drug can succeed in that major, that should count as 'easy.' But...I would think adcoms would know this.

I was a history/political science double major (heavy classics bent) and I have to agree that memorizing various formulas for chemistry and physics is not as bad as the amount I needed to know for these classes and that does not include the 50 page thesis requirement for both.

I think like everything else- there is no easy major-- it depends on your strengths. To you English may be easy, but others may fold under the weight of Shakespeare.

Good luck.

All non-science majors are hard..... for me.

MD Rapper said:
I'm a double major in sociology and biology. Sociology is excellent because at most schools:

1) It is a short major (less courses than others to complete it)
2) Not too many "gunners," so its fairly easy to do well.
3) Impressive to medical school committees because it shows you have some "personal skills" and awareness of the type of people around you (As with any social science major).
4) Pretty interesting material because you see it around you ALL the time.

MAJOR IN SOC! I HAVE A 3.93 SOCIOLOGY GPA WITH 5x less effort than my science classes! :thumbup:

I hear ya, but when I moved my records didn't come in time for me to register. I had to take that darn sociology class TWICE (once at my old university and once at the Community college). +pissed+ +pity+. I just kept wanting to jump out of the nearest window! It was insane.
I thought I was going to die. :laugh:

What a bunch of bull. How many of you have actually experienced a science and humanities major? Well I have. I was a chemistry major. Was it more difficult than psych? Not really. Was it different? Yes.

I don't know where this mentality that the absence of math indicates "easiness". It's bull****. Get over yourselves and quit trying to pat yourselves on the back for choosing a "hard" major. :rolleyes:

I'm sure some idiot premed will point out that I, "was a chem major" and think it's some remarkable observation that contradicts my statement, so I should probably explain that. (pretty sad huh?) I quit because I hated the 2-hour comparative labs -- a huge waste of time.

A lot of people complain that the theoretical aspect of the sciences are sometimes what make them hard. Imagine an entire major like that.

The majors also teach you to think differently. I have met many, many premeds who were better at organic or biology than I was, or even math. Very good at memorizing facts and working through things logically. The problem was that if you asked them something that required inference or application, they were lost. So many times I have encountered premeds who would LOOK IN THE BOOK to answer a question that simple induction would have provided. Humanities majors mold people into abstract, analytical thinkers. Science majors create fact regurgitators.

I chose psych because I liked it and wanted something that I would use, even if I did get into med school. Looking back, I probably would have double-majored in psychology/religion because I'm really interested in "psychology of religion" and theology. I'll probably do that if I'm not accepted this cycle, which is a very good possibility since people tell me they'll write a letter then just stop responding to my inquiries.

I don't really expect anyone to agree with me. Understanding how cognitive function and behavior are altered by conditioning through consistent in an educational system isn't something you learn in chemistry or biology -- it's something you learn in psychology.

I would say being a psych major is frustrating more than anything. You really see how stupid and ignorant a lot of people are when you explain things based on years of extensive experimentation and research, and they pass it off as mere opinion.

"I think" and "my experience" really aren't pertinent. Whatever your subjective reality is is all that you have to go by. You get one vote and can not fillibuster this post. The question posited was straightforward and was meant to be a composit of subjective insights. The merits of a consensus as a useful tool may be questionable but nobody needs to feel more or less superior to the "average" unless that's the maturity stage that they're in.
That being said, I vote economics, my major.

JKDMed said:
What a bunch of bull. How many of you have actually experienced a science and humanities major? Well I have. I was a chemistry major. Was it more difficult than psych? Not really. Was it different? Yes.

i've got close to a degree in philosophy and it has been considerably easier than my math major and even the premed courses i've taken.

JKDMed said:
I don't know where this mentality that the absence of math indicates "easiness". It's bull****. Get over yourselves and quit trying to pat yourselves on the back for choosing a "hard" major. :rolleyes:

Touchy!!!

I stand by my personal observation that going where the athletes and marijuana smokers go is a good way to find an easy class. This is Austin - there are sufficient crowds of each to constitute a trend.

Every school is different, some have good solid liberal arts programs and some have fluffy feel-good get-your-M.R.S.-degree reputations.

The nice thing about a public forum is, we can all pitch in our opinions, and people can take them or leave them.

Your avatar is sexy, tho.

Peterock said:
...At Duke roughly 75% of the honors went out to poli sci/econ/sociology etc. All of these people "conveniently" had super high gpa's AND managed to do a "senior thesis"....

Your analysis, tragically, is flawed. You explain honors and high grades by ease of coursework. But an equally likely explanation is that the smarter, more capable students choose political science and sociology. Little wonder lawyers (overwhelmingly humanities majors) are eating doctors alive.

liverotcod said:
Little wonder lawyers (overwhelmingly humanities majors) are eating doctors alive.

Making a mockery of the legal system for profit = good?

Biology (or its most basic variant offered)

honestly its the easiest major you can choose and thats why most premeds choose this simple root. If you choose a non science major, you will have more work fulfilling requirments for that major and premed requirements. If you are a science major, these requirments mainly go hand in hand so you'll have fewer total courses you MUST take (unless you plan on doing post bacs).

out of the sciences biology is the easiest. You want hard then do biomed engineering, biochem etc

curlycity said:
Making a mockery of the legal system for profit = good?

I was attempting to use rhetoric to make a joke. No, I don't think that it's good, but my impression is that the lawyers are winning the war.

liverotcod said:
I was attempting to use rhetoric to make a joke. No, I don't think that it's good, but my impression is that the lawyers are winning the war.

Okey dokey. It's hard to *communicate* in this format, to tell if people are being sarcastic or whatever. A lot of threads degenerate into flame wars over wierdly interpreted comments. Carrying on...

I heard Basketweaving is an easy major. Then again, a senior thesis in anything sucks. :mad:

And you know what majors typically score among the worst on the MCAT? Biology
Who does the best? Math and Philosophy

Humanities students as a whole do better than life science students and as well as or better than Physical science students, even though physical sciences count for a larger portion of the numerical score of the MCAT.

Funny that the guys in the 'easy' classes do as well as or beat the guys in the 'hard classes' in their own subject area.

I don't think you can really define 'easy'. Some people find science extremely easy while others find languages easy. So major in something you're good at.

fruit fly said:
I heard Basketweaving is an easy major. Then again, a senior thesis in anything sucks. :mad:
I think basketweaving would be pretty tough, myself...think of the labs!

...but wait, if you wanted to be a surgeon, basketweaving might help you out more than, say, chemistry. Hmm... :D

liverotcod said:
Your analysis, tragically, is flawed. You explain honors and high grades by ease of coursework. But an equally likely explanation is that the smarter, more capable students choose political science and sociology. Little wonder lawyers (overwhelmingly humanities majors) are eating doctors alive.

LOL. Sociology is swarming with football and basketball players at Duke. Not dumb people by any means, but definitely several notches below the student body. I know the engineers my freshman year had a SAT ave. 60-70 points above the non engineer class.

It's also known that a lot of people go from engineering majors to econ or poli sci, but not the other way around. It's like people being premed till they actually realize it's hard and go an easier route.