Easy upper division classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers a variety of upper division biology classes, some easier than others. My question is would an adcom look down on upper division biology classes such as conservation biology in comparison to other upper divs such as micro and cell.

Members don't see this ad.

conserv's not going to do anything for you. micro/cell may be rec, req, or helpful.

as was said, the harder classes may be more helpful in understanding your coursework later on, but also, the adcoms don't know that those other classes are easy and who are they to say that that isn't an actual interest of yours. i took several easy upper divisions (ecology, evolution, some sort of environmental class), and i still got in. it didn't hold me back in classes in med school either. while some of us may consider choir or piano "easy" courses, music majors still get into med school. what i mean by that is not everyone has the same interests in classes throughout undergrad, and taking 'different' courses than most pre-meds won't hurt you

med schools have their requirements. as long as you reach those, i don't think the majority of school scrutinize over every other class you've taken. yes, an interviewer may ask you about why you took it, but you come up with an answer and something good that came out of it

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can handle it you are probably better off taking micro and cell as those are much more applicable to med school. The more exposure you've had to a topic, the easier it is to absorb the gallons of material that is thrown at you in med school.

Let me ask you this, do you REALLY want to take conservation?

honestly, why would an adcom care if you took a soft upper division bio class?
i don't see why that should stop you from gaining admission. ppl take 'easy' classes all the time..

the tougher courses would be more helpful down the road in terms of med school classes, but perhaps the easier ones would make you more well rounded applicant lol

My ecology course is, so far, in the top 3 of my most grueling classes. My teacher had us doing advanced ecological studies, and our semester-long project was to write a formal grant request for an ecological experiment of our original design. We had to present a powerpoint with our experiment plan, complete with a budget. I feel that my experience with the "softer" biology courses (invertebrate zoology, marine biology, ecology...) makes me a better scientist, and therefore will someday make me a better doctor. I learned a great deal from these classes--and how many med students can say that they stood around in Tennessee, in the snow, for 3 hours studying pond vegetation? I say, if it interests you, go for it.