EC description

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am uncertain of what to put for the EC description. For example, for research experience, do I stick to my responsibilities and a description of the research?

This is a rough draft of a EC description that I wrote for my research experience...

"I have been closely involved in two research projects at the Acquired Brain Injury unit of Toronto Rehabilitation Institute for the last two year. From June 2005 to September 2006 when I began my graduate studies, I worked on average of 30 hours per week devoted to patient recruitment, data collection, data analysis, producing manuscripts and grant proposals. The first study examined the predictive ability of neuropsychological assessments for functional and vocational outcome after acquired brain injury. The second project focused on comparing the effectiveness of functionally based rehabilitation program to the traditional rehabilitation program in improving cognitive and physical function. Aside from gaining valuable experience in clinical research, I was able to interact with the health care providers, patients and the visiting family members on a daily bases. Through this experience, I was exposed to the challenges of recovering the “pre-injury life” that the patients face along with the dedication of doctors, nurses and therapists in assisting the rehab process."

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The first thing that comes to mind is that it's entirely too long. The adcomms are looking for brevity because they have SO MUCH to read.

I think you can leave off the last 2 sentences entirely, and make the study descriptions much shorter. I also think that the location (TRI) and dates/hours per week are not necessary, since they show up elsewhere on the EC form, and redundancy is not appreciated.

Hope ths helps.