ECFMG certification - and timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoopsidaisy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm expecting to graduate this November but would still like to apply this cycle (Match 2018) for anesthesia.
Step 1 and 2 CK are already done and by Sep 15, I will hopefully have score reports for Step 2 CS, as well.

So this is my situation: I won't have my ECFMG certification by Sep 15 since I'm graduating in November.
If everything goes smoothly, I will get ECFMG-certified in Jan/Feb 2018.

My questions would be:
1) I am aware that quite a bunch of programs list ECFMG-certification as a requirement to apply - do they specifically insist on the certificate or do most of the programs equate it with passing scores on Steps 1 / 2CK / 2CS?

2) What would be considered the latest date to update the ECFMG status? Do most of the programs already determine their ROL on 1/15 and thus would it be too late for me to get certified by Feb?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most programs want to know you are eligible for ECFMG certification; however, this does vary and some programs do want to see the actual certificate. You can start now by doing some research into programs in your field of choice.

The ROL is not due until mid Feb so programs are still interviewing in Jan.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a ton for your quick reply. By "eligible for ECFMG certification" do you mean the so-called "verification" which I've seen people talk about on SDN? Is that a real thing? When I called ECFMG they didn't mention a "verification" at all...

Thanks a ton for your quick reply. By "eligible for ECFMG certification" do you mean the so-called "verification" which I've seen people talk about on SDN? Is that a real thing? When I called ECFMG they didn't mention a "verification" at all...
Call it what you like, verified/eligible/etc. You are correct that there is no such formal title for this. But it means that you have everything you need for ECFMG certification other than your diploma.

Reactions: 1 users

this may help
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/For-IMG-Eligibility-and-Verification.pdf

note the part in the reminders that the NRMP will update your account to say "verified" to show that you have passed all of the USMLE exams required to participate in the Match.

This has been hotly debated here in the past. To sum it up, nobody knows for sure how much it will hurt you. Some programs may not invite you for interviews, some will not rank you, some will not care as long as you have the ECFMG certification by the time they make their ROL. You will never know. You do not have alternatives unless you delay your match by a year, which has additional downsides. Just make sure you push your school and ECFMG as much as possible to get everything certified as soon as possible. If you need to mail documents to Philly (ECFMG), do it with FedEx overnight and pay. Make sure you have an account setup. The most important things is that you have your Steps all completed, consider Step 3, make sure you have a great Dean's letter and USCE.

Wow - thanks a lot for your replies! That is really helpful.

You do not have alternatives unless you delay your match by a year, which has additional downsides

Reading all of this, that was exactly what I was thinking, too... So actually, I would have the chance to graduate this June as well - which would still put me on a very tight schedule for ECFMG certification by September. The overall gist seems that I should really get the ECFMG certification done before applying / interviewing.

Thanks for your input!!

Reading all of this, that was exactly what I was thinking, too... So actually, I would have the chance to graduate this June as well - which would still put me on a very tight schedule for ECFMG certification by September. The overall gist seems that I should really get the ECFMG certification done before applying / interviewing.

Thanks for your input!!
Can you get everything except for Graduation done by September (regardless of the June/November graduation date)? Because if so, you're going to be fine. If you're not going to be able to do the Steps until after graduation, then that's a different story.

"NRMP requires that the passing results of all exams required for ECFMG Certification (USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS) are available by the NRMP Rank Order List Certification deadline. You must also certify your NRMP Rank Order List by this deadline. If you have not yet taken and passed USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS), You do not need to be ECFMG certified in order to participate in the Match".

"NRMP requires that the passing results of all exams required for ECFMG Certification (USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS) are available by the NRMP Rank Order List Certification deadline. You must also certify your NRMP Rank Order List by this deadline. If you have not yet taken and passed USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS), You do not need to be ECFMG certified in order to participate in the Match".

The above is true.

However the issue is that individual programs can have requirements above and beyond this. It is not uncommon for programs to require possession of the certificate to even interview which is what the OP's question really is.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can you get everything except for Graduation done by September (regardless of the June/November graduation date)?

Yes - I scheduled Step 2CS for March this year which will be my last test for ECFMG certification.

It is not uncommon for programs to require possession of the certificate to even interview which is what the OP's question really is.

Thanks - that's what I wanted to know.
Especially academic programs - which I am most interested in - apparently do require ECFMG certification beforehand...

Yes - I scheduled Step 2CS for March this year which will be my last test for ECFMG certification.

Thanks - that's what I wanted to know.
Especially academic programs - which I am most interested in - apparently do require ECFMG certification beforehand...
you need to ask them...many IM programs (and yes academic ones) are fine with knowing you have passed the Steps generally those that make that requirement frankly are looking not to take foreign students.

Hello there doctors. I have a similar doubt, Has any IMG in here taken the step 2cs between the 11-15 of June (date i am planning for next year) and got the ECFMG certification in the mail before September 1? I read that for ERAS I need the certification date which is only on the printed one they send (not the one in OASIS they make available first). I know it is kinda tight since they only start reporting those scores on august the 15 thats why i want to make sure it is possible by someone that already did it