ECG Leads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedStudent219

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I'm just a bit confused about how leads work. For example avR, avF and avL are unipolar leads, however according to my textbook, they average out the other limb electrodes to get a negative lead. How does that work? How does it do this? can someone sort of explain it or point me in the right direction? Also this is a really dumb question, but how is something like Lead I have it's positive electrode at 0 degrees? wouldn't the electrode on the patient's left hand mean that it's underneath the heart --> not to the left (in simple terms, how do we know a lead is at a particular angle, when the electrodes are most likely not when compared to the position of the heart)? sorry if this is a really dumb question, if someone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much, this forum is amazing!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Treat the negative leads as a single lead, and by "average" I think it means take the center of the two leads as the "average" space for the negative field.
 
Lead I is arbitrarily assigned 0 degrees. Your augmented vector leads are obtained from averaging out other leads (e.g. aVF is obtained from Lead II and III).
Maybe give Dubin's book a quick read.