DMD-2-B

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
223
0
Status
I ran across this question and was wondering what you guys thought the answer was. I thought it was pretty simple till I saw I got it wrong, so I'd like to hear your strategies for attacking this one if you don't mind!

The ecological efficiency is only 5% from one trophic level to the next. For every 250 J of energy required by the secondary consumers, what is the minimum amount of energy the primary producers will have to generate?
 

wlee009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
47
0
Status
Pre-Dental
250J*20= 5000J required for primary consumers
5000J*20= 100000J produced by producers

Did I do it right?
 

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
468
0
38
Status
Pre-Dental
wlee009 said:
250J*20= 5000J required for primary consumers
5000J*20= 100000J produced by producers

Did I do it right?

why did you multiply 250J by 20? :confused:
 
About the Ads

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
476
2
OC
Status
Pre-Dental
DMD-2-B said:
I ran across this question and was wondering what you guys thought the answer was. I thought it was pretty simple till I saw I got it wrong, so I'd like to hear your strategies for attacking this one if you don't mind!

The ecological efficiency is only 5% from one trophic level to the next. For every 250 J of energy required by the secondary consumers, what is the minimum amount of energy the primary producers will have to generate?
250 / 0.05 = 5000
5000 / 0.05 = 100000
 
OP
D

DMD-2-B

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
223
0
Status
keibee82 said:
250 / 0.05 = 5000
5000 / 0.05 = 100000
Yes, you did it right. I still don't really understand though. My point of confusion is why divide by .05 twice? I divided only once, thinking that 250 is the five percent that was passed down from the original 5000.

Clearly I am overlooking something. Would you mind explaining the reasoning?

Thanks! :thumbup:
 

Resonance

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
220
0
Status
Pre-Dental
DMD-2-B said:
Yes, you did it right. I still don't really understand though. My point of confusion is why divide by .05 twice? I divided only once, thinking that 250 is the five percent that was passed down from the original 5000.

Clearly I am overlooking something. Would you mind explaining the reasoning?

Thanks! :thumbup:
dividing it once only give the minimum for the primary consumer, the question wants the minimum for the primary producer.
 
OP
D

DMD-2-B

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
223
0
Status
Resonance said:
dividing it once only give the minimum for the primary consumer, the question wants the minimum for the primary producer.
thank you!
 
About the Ads