econ classes as BCPM on AMCAS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robocop1998

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,
since i am an econ premed, i am just wondering if econ classes count as BCPM?? I know some econ classes are mainly writing based, but since I am more into quantitative econ, most of the econ classes I took are very math oriented (the theory classes), even more so than the premed classes. i wanna have a rough idea of what my BCPM gpa is before applying. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey,
since i am an econ premed, i am just wondering if econ classes count as BCPM?? I know some econ classes are mainly writing based, but since I am more into quantitative econ, most of the econ classes I took are very math oriented (the theory classes), even more so than the premed classes. i wanna have a rough idea of what my BCPM gpa is before applying. thanks!

No.

Biology
Physics
Math
Chemistry

Not economics.

hey,
B - Biology
C - Chemistry
P - Physics (and astronomy)
M - Mathematics

If you browse through aamc.org, you'll find a detailed list of exactly what will count as BCPM for AMCAS purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
B - Biology
C - Chemistry
P - Physics (and astronomy)
M - Mathematics

If you browse through aamc.org, you'll find a detailed list of exactly what will count as BCPM for AMCAS purposes.

Can someone find a link to what he is referring to?

Ok I am signed up for a Pharmacological research course this semester, and according to AMCAS pharmacy is not part of the BCPM? What I am doing is very biology related,, why is this?

Ok I am signed up for a Pharmacological research course this semester, and according to AMCAS pharmacy is not part of the BCPM? What I am doing is very biology related,, why is this?

Pharmacy and pharmacology are not the same thing. I'm assuming they mean courses that work towards a degree in pharmacy, just like you wouldn't count nursing classes as part of the BCPM (to my knowledge).

right, but I guess it would still be listed under pharmacy though.

my economic classes counted as BCPM
there was a lot of calculus used (for econ development and deriving optimal develomental goals)..
I tried..and it workd!

I think if they are math intensive or have some type of "math" in the name, you can put it as a BCPM. If you put it and it is not considered a BCPM course, AMCAS will change it. I took a wildlife diversity course and labeled it as biology, but AMCAS changed it to non-science, so they do check what you label.

At best it could bump up your BCPM average, and at worst it will be changed and not counted in BCPM.

Biology (BIOL) - BCPM
Anatomy, Biology, Biophysics, Biotechnology, Botany, Cell Biology, Ecology, Entomology, Genetics, Histology, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Physiology
Chemistry (CHEM) - BCPM
Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Thermodynamics
Physics (PHYS) - BCPM
Astronomy, Physics
Math (MATH) - BCPM
Applied Mathematics, Mathematics, Statistics

so basically, it makes sense for me to put intermediate micro, intermediate macro, and econometrics into BCPM because the first two involve using calculus and differential equations and the last one involves statistics.

so basically, it makes sense for me to put intermediate micro, intermediate macro, and econometrics into BCPM because the first two involve using calculus and differential equations and the last one involves statistics.
If it helps your GPA, then categorize your classes how ever you want. If AMCAS disagrees, they will change them. The worst thing that could happen is a slight delay in app processing.

will anything listed within the Bio, Physics, Math or Chem department in your school ALWAYS be counted in your bcpm?

Biology (BIOL) - BCPM
Anatomy, Biology, Biophysics, Biotechnology, Botany, Cell Biology, Ecology, Entomology, Genetics, Histology, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Physiology
Chemistry (CHEM) - BCPM
Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Thermodynamics
Physics (PHYS) - BCPM
Astronomy, Physics
Math (MATH) - BCPM
Applied Mathematics, Mathematics, Statistics

80% of economics is applied math.

dude, academically rigorous econ courses are every bit as quantitative as theoretical particle physics or stochastic processes in math. i never knew the separating hyperplane theorum until i took some advanced econ.

i say categorize the classes you wish as math. if aamc disagrees, they will change status during verification. but, it can't harm you.

30% of anthropology is applied math. Does it count for 30% at least?

No. If any part of the course name is "math" then it might be included in the M of BCPM.

30% of anthropology is applied math. Does it count for 30% at least?

No. If any part of the course name is "math" then it might be included in the M of BCPM.

I suggest you do some research on how BCMP designation works.

The name of the course, department it's taught by, requirements the course fulfills, etc... none of that matters. If the course is >50% pure math, you can count it as math.

By the way, "calculus" has no "math" in its name. Neither does "statistics," "linear algebra," "analysis in a single variable," "ordinary differential equations"...

Last edited:
hey,

i think to answer your question, the consensus is that there is no harm in counting whatever you want as math and seeing what the particular reviewer from AAMC thinks. if you want an estimate, then i would err on the side of conservatism and assume all these classes will be reverted to social sciences. then, hope for a best scenario. from personal experience, my reviewer did not change any of my categories.