ED at Cook County - Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theworst22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm rotating as a visiting student this summer in the ED at Cook County Hospital. Can anyone provide any advice or words of wisdom based on their expereinces? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm rotating as a visiting student this summer in the ED at Cook County Hospital. Can anyone provide any advice or words of wisdom based on their expereinces? Thanks in advance.

Hey just finished ER rotation a few weeks ago at Cook County, its a great experience, especially as a 4th year (I'm a third year) ... they let you do more stuff as a 4th year AND you see EVERYTHING! cook county has a huge variety of stuff: from gunshot victims--> drug addicts--> masturbating crazies! its really cool! anyhow, Dr. Sergel is awsome, she's the nicest attending there and is in charge of the 3rd years (not sure about 4th years) she wrote our evaluations. WORK hard if you want to do well, expect to get pimped here and there. Most of the residents are AWSOME! people to stay away from: Dr. Bixby (horrible resident with a serious attitude) she'll give you a BAD evaluation no matter how hard you work, and a few others... pm me if you want

ciao
ocean11

Hey, I did ED there as a 3rd year a couple months ago. It's divided into Green (fast track), Red, and Blue teams. Dr. Sergel is really cool, most of the other attendings and residents are too. Trauma is in a separate area, so you probably won't see any unless you're specifically rotating through there. Not sure what advice I can give you - read up on emergent causes of chest pain, ab pain, EKGs, etc. If you're required to attend lectures, try to schedule your day shifts so they overlap, unless you don't mind coming in for them on your off-hours.