ED Scribing Dilemma, opinions needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lodo.owl

Above all, be human.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently have been scribing at an urban ED, privately owned level 3 trauma center. I love my coworkers, doctors, boss, and job as a whole. I've worked 12 hours shifts until 3AM and I come home exhausted but ultimately so happy with my job. Currently have almost 1000 hours at this location under my belt over the past year.

Here's my dilemma: I likely will not go for a chief scribe position as I will never be able to commit to working full time at the facility so having another year at this center will likely not be very different for me. I have shadowed the chief scribe at the level 1 trauma center around the corner, the staff there is a majority residents (I currently work with only attendings) the traumas are incredible to witness, and the chief scribe seems like a sweetheart. That being said, the scribe program there somewhat seems less put together which makes me nervous as my schedule is pretty tight and not being able to depend on my program's predictability is a red flag to me.

I currently adore my position but something is nagging me to branch out into some more challenging scribing. I have tried to pick up shifts at the level 1 while keeping my position at the level 3 when possible but it has proven difficult logistically. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

My wife loves pro/con lists and she has encouraged their use in many major decisions we have made in the last 7 years of our marriage. I recommend making a pro/con list in this situation. Here are some things to consider, but you can definitely include more or less depending on what is important to you:
  1. First, and most importantly IMHO, do you want to be the chief scribe or are you considering it just because it will "look good? If you don't actually want to do it, then don't.
  2. What are your other commitments right now that would conflict with the unpredictable schedule? Are those commitments flexible?
  3. On the other hand, if the only red flag is that the scribing doesn't seem "put together," isn't that part of your job as chief scribe? Couldn't you make it better?
  4. Follow your gut, and realize that neither is a bad decision (unless there is something you haven't explained yet).

Reactions: 1 user
My wife loves pro/con lists and she has encouraged their use in many major decisions we have made in the last 7 years of our marriage. I recommend making a pro/con list in this situation. Here are some things to consider, but you can definitely include more or less depending on what is important to you:
  1. First, and most importantly IMHO, do you want to be the chief scribe or are you considering it just because it will "look good? If you don't actually want to do it, then don't.
  2. What are your other commitments right now that would conflict with the unpredictable schedule? Are those commitments flexible?
  3. On the other hand, if the only red flag is that the scribing doesn't seem "put together," isn't that part of your job as chief scribe? Couldn't you make it better?
  4. Follow your gut, and realize that neither is a bad decision (unless there is something you haven't explained yet).

1. Would love to be chief scribe, just don't know if it's realistic w/ my schedule. I have other leadership on my app so being chief scribe would just be personal preference.

2. Other commitments include classes (year-round), volunteer tutoring kids at a rescue mission. As of right now I COULD become a full-time scribe and possibly move up to chief scribe when my chief scribe leaves, but I am looking at starting research next year, TAing an anatomy class in the fall, studying abroad during Winterim, and shadowing in the Spring. I'm also organizing healthcare panels through the health institute at my school which demands time and energy. +I have remnants of a social life and relationships external to medicine that I'd like to maintain. So full-time really just isn't in the cards for me, nor is chief scribe. Thus: staying in my current position at my current job would be very comfortable but stagnant.

3. I wouldn't be aiming to be a chief scribe at a new hospital, my goals with transferring to the level one would be for new experiences.

4. My intuition is equally as neurotic as my frontal lobe haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
ED Chief Scribe and current applicant here, so take my advice with a grain of salt. First and foremost, no one becomes a scribe for the pay... It sucks. We do it for the experience. If you did not have any other leadership experiences I would say stick with the current level 3 and hope to get more with a chief scribe promotion. However, if the other scribe position will provide different experiences, I would go for it. You have to relay to the new chief everything you answered in number 2 and if that is not going to work, you'd have to stay at the level 3. Be open and honest with your availability and (hopefully) they will be honest with you. The question list that @Cornfed101 put together is awesome.

With all of those commitments coming up, I would try part-time with whatever you do to maintain sanity! I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Keep your current job if you love it and you get along great with the attendings. Attendings >>>>> residents when it comes to letters and connections for medical school. Your end goal is to go to medical school, not have a good scribing job. Eyes on the prize.

Reactions: 1 users
Ooh that’s your problem. You gotta get a scribe job with a clinic or hospital directly. They pay twice as much.

Pay isn’t an issue/contributing factor to my decision as posted here, but definitely will keep that in mind if I end up deciding to leave my current position in the future!

Reactions: 1 user