Nov 7, 2010
Status
Hi, I've been lurking for awhile and have searched the forum for an answer to this question but didn't find anything, so here goes:

I'm currently a junior (undergrad) and am planning on vet school. I am a US/UK dual citizen, and I really don't want to add more debt to what I'll already have from undergrad. So, I'd love to go to Edinburgh (= free!!) but I'll need to establish residence somewhere in Europe for at least three years between graduation from undergrad and matriculation to vet school..... This will make me older than I'd like to be when starting vet school (I understand there are a lot of non-trads here), so I'm really hoping that if I do get accepted to Edinburgh, I'll get into the GEP.

So I guess my main question is, when they say on their website "We offer an accelerated programme for graduates with a relevant degree in biological or animal science," what constitutes "relevant"?? I'm majoring in Ecology & Evolutionary Biology at a Top 20 Nat'l Uni (as ranked by US N&WR). I'll have taken Calc, Gen Chem, Orgo, Physics, Bio, Ecology, Evolution, Genetics, Conservation Bio, Animal Behavior, a bunch of bio labs, and some other sciencey courses I've yet to decide on. I will NOT have taken Animal Anatomy/Physiology, Embryology, Immuno, Biochem, etc.

And does anyone know how late after graduating will they consider someone for the GEP? I may not want to go ahead with this plan of roaming around Europe for three years only to find out that they'll consider me to be too rusty and place me into the 5 year program. Then again, I still might because free is free, but I'd like to know ahead of time what is most likely.

I understand that you guys do not work in admissions at Edinburgh, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone else had a similar situation or got into the GEP after quite a bit of time out of school, etc. I realize that the best way to find some of this out is probably to call their admissions office, but... I'm asking you guys anyway. :)

laitmanvet

c/o 2015 - now interning it
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Veterinarian
I think a science-based bachelor's degree qualifies you for the GEP. I would say, based on the classwork you listed above your degree would qualify. The woman who answers all of my emails is Victoria Doggett, and she seems very friendly. Your best bet would be to send her an email.

OP
D
Nov 7, 2010
Status
Ah, thanks for the article.

If you look at the last paragraph, it states:
The changes in tuition fees will apply to universities in England. Scottish students studying in Scotland do not have to pay any fees. In Northern Ireland and Wales, fees are currently charged up to a maximum of £3,290
Indeed some of my English cousins will not be too pleased, but it appears that Scottish unis will remain free... for now...

Tiempo

Edinburgh 2013
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm currently a junior (undergrad) and am planning on vet school. I am a US/UK dual citizen, and I really don't want to add more debt to what I'll already have from undergrad. So, I'd love to go to Edinburgh (= free!!) but I'll need to establish residence somewhere in Europe for at least three years between graduation from undergrad and matriculation to vet school..... This will make me older than I'd like to be when starting vet school (I understand there are a lot of non-trads here), so I'm really hoping that if I do get accepted to Edinburgh, I'll get into the GEP.
I agree that you should send them a quick email - they'll get back to you and let you know pretty quickly, but I would imagine you might have a shot (would think they might want Biochem, but since you've taken Gen Chem and Organic you might be fine). Unless they've changed it, you should be okay with the time after graduation and entry into the vet program. I had been graduated for a while, but I also continued to work in the sciences, so that may have had an impact.

As far as tuition fee payment, make sure you investigate that very carefully before deciding on Edinburgh because of it! Scottish schools are a bit different than English schools in residency requirements, and as far as I know there is no support available through the 'normal' channels for a graduate entry program - see http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/special_circumstances/graduate_entry_courses.htm That website has a lot of information on eligibility and residency, so if you haven't seen it before you might find it useful.

Good luck!

OP
D
Nov 7, 2010
Status
Ah! I had not read that before... I must have assumed that because it was a Bachelor's degree I would be eligible for student support. Thank you very much for pointing that out! I guess it's a 5 year program then either way; it's good to know.

Yes, I have looked into the residence requirements quite thoroughly and believe I understand what I'd need to do. However, I would/will definitely check with SAAS before packing my things. :)

DogTyred

Dick Vet c/o 2014!
Dec 13, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Status
Veterinary Student
I am currently at Edinburgh and I believe that what I have heard is that if this is a second degree (which it would be if you go into the GEP) you would have to pay full tuition. At least that is what the UK residents in the GEP have said. Just a heads up.

flyhi

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am 39 and have been out of school 15 years. They offered me the opportunity to get into GEP during the year I deferred. All i had to do was complete physics and biochem with a B or better. I got an A in physics and did not complete biochem due to other factors. I had already decided the 5yr program was best for me. So no, age should not be a factor, unless theyve changed something.

As an aside, there were riots in England today regarding the tuition hike.

Good Luck!