Edinburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittenKiller

chop suey
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone else applied to Edinburgh and got in. It seems like a very strange program for someone who has already graduated to go to, since its 5 years and an undergraduate program, and yet, my offer is conditional upon my getting at least a B in biochemistry now?

Tuition is very expensive(about $160,000 for 5 years), cost of living in Edinburgh is extremely high, and the program is 2 years longer than american veterinary school programs. Are there good reasons to choose Edinburgh over schools in the United States? Im going to their luncheon in Washington but was wondering if anyone knew more about their vet school and had any thoughts. I heard they have a 4-year program too, is that something you can transfer into once youve gotten into the 5 year program?

Even if I dont get in anywhere else, with the info I have I think Id rather defer a year and reapply to american vet schools than put myself into a 5 year schooling committment and $200,000+ of debt. But maybe theres a upside to this!

Thanks,
Jessica

Members don't see this ad.

I applied but haven't heard anything yet. I know someone who did get in though. Supposedly they have some type of arrangement that allows those who already have a bachelor's to skip the first year and enter the second year. If you do an "Edinburgh" search on this forum you'll find some posts with more info.

If you are graduating, you can get accepted to a 4 year program, where you skip the first year. The school is also really great. I think that Penn modeled itself after Edinburgh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its weird because I graduated 2 years ago and it says explicitly Im in the 5 year program. Oh well, I guess I can ask.

Yeah, you have to get excepted into the 4 year program. They usually let some people into the 4 year if they have an acceptable science degree. I got a conditional offer, I have to get a B in biochem as well.

As for its benefits, its a great school, one of the best in the world and I think the vet program is one of the best in the UK. If the idea of living in Scotland isn't that appealing to you than I'd wait and try next year like you said.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, you have to get excepted into the 4 year program. They usually let some people into the 4 year if they have an acceptable science degree. I got a conditional offer, I have to get a B in biochem as well.

As for its benefits, its a great school, one of the best in the world and I think the vet program is one of the best in the UK. If the idea of living in Scotland isn't that appealing to you than I'd wait and try next year like you said.

Hope this helps!

Scotland's great! I love the city of Edinburgh which is why I applied. I should have read up more though, if I go there I wont get my degree till Im in my 30s and I'll be saddled with almost double the debt of going to school here in the states. Ah well.

I applied there and got accepted as well. I don't really mind the 5 years because I'm only a junior right now. I beleive it will say in your offer if you are accepted to the graduate entry (4 year program). I know a girl who goes there (3rd year) who is planning on working with exotics - I talked with her about their program and got the impression that they have a good concentration in it, whereas a lot of the schools I interviewed with in the states pretty much have nothing significant. The cost is high which is why I will probably opt for a US program (if I get accepted) but if I go out of state it's going to be expensive regardless... ignoring cost and looking at the program itself I'm pretty confident that it is a good one (otherwise I wouldn't have applied).

After reading over the stuff the sent about the Graduate Entry, I kinda feel like I'd rather go that extra year! Seems like there are a lot of things I'd need to do over the summer regarding experience variety and mucho rules and guidelines to go along with them. I have a feeling they'd tell you exactly how to do that your first year and being thrown into the second year is a little nerve wracking.

It's nice to hear that about exotics as I was worried it would be mainly farm animals, especially after reading over all the farm experience you need to obtain compared to things I'd be interested in. I'm still not positive I'm going to accept, even though I have to turn down my only other current offer. I think I'll sit down this weekend and try to comprehend everything... after the BioChem exam :p

Edit to add: As for getting into the GEP, I don't think I had to do anything special regarding the application. Actually, I just assumed I was rejected as after I submitted the VMCAS I hadn't heard a peep from them until I was accepted. Unlike Massey where I had to do extra application work after my initial application to be placed further up. Actually, the application to Massey was more troublesome than the entire Vet School application procedure. And maybe O.Chem as well. It was that bad.

If you want more info about uk schools read posts by birdvet2006, just search her last posts they give a lot of info about glasgow (and uk schools in general). As far as exotics go, they have a section of the hospital for them and the girl I know is doing rounds at the edinburgh zoo for her rotations.

Is anybody here going to the Edinburgh info session in Portland next week? I'll be there. :)

I'll be there! Hopefully I'll see you there tomorrow.

For those who went to informational sessions, how were they? Did you learn anything new about the school? What were your impressions?

The information session in DC was impressive. The two vets who conducted it were articulate, enthusiastic, proud and eager to answer all questions which they did thoroughly and even with some humor (that's always nice :)). It went from 11:45 to 3:00 and consisted of a Powerpoint, not just about the school but also a bit of background on Scotland and the surrounding area, a DVD ( which we all received) and about a 2 hour Q&A, after which I had to leave. The vets offered to address more personal concerns afterward which I saw them doing as I was putting on my coat. If you can judge a school by the quality of its initial contact with prospective students, then Edinburgh gets high marks. I left feeling well-informed and that the trip to get there had been worth it. Plus, the buffet was abundant and delicious!!!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Mkata,

I went to the one in DC and was very positively impressed. Everyone has the same curriculum for all the years, which I thought was very cool. When you do rotations you rotate between working with all different species: dogs, cats, pigs, poultry, cows, horses, etc. The Easter Bush Centre where a lot of the work is done is very close to the city - I think they said like 10 minutes on the bus?

The last year you get to work with the patients, not just observe doctors working. The doctors rather observe you much of the time, and you work in very small groups of two or three they said.

British vet schools also have something called "extramural studies" where theres a mandatory number of weeks (12 in your first 2 years and 26 in your last three) you need to go out and get experience working in different animal industries. You need (I dont remember the exact numbers, but for example) like a week with pigs, 2 weeks small animals, a week with exotics, and they even require a week working with small rodents like guinea pigs and rats. So yeah, I like the fact they make you get to know ALL the fields of vet med.

I really thought their program sounded cool, but I was accepted into their 5 year program rather than their 4 year one and Im not excited about an additional $50,000 of debt. The pound is also really strong at the moment so its an expensive place to live coming from the US. Other than that, it was really great. If you arent familiar with Edinburgh city its, IMHO, one of the most beautiful cities in the world (at least of the ones Ive visited). The center of the city is still all these old medieval buildings and its renowned for its nightlife.

Isn't the UK still using the pound??? I know Ireland switched over, but I don't think the UK did yet. Sorry to be picky, I'm just curious now.

Oops thats what I meant. the pound is really strong too. European currency is all beating the dollar into submission at the moment.

Thank you for the information! Did they say anything about the caseload?

I was hoping to get some more information about the Edinburgh Royal Dick School from other US applicants.

Is it just me, or do their materials about admissions and requirements/statistics seem lacking to non-existant? :sleep:

I really would like to know more about who is appying, what their backgrounds are and what Edinburgh is looking for. Do you think it is more competitive than applying here in the states?

Do any of you guys have any insight to offer?

Thanks!

Not sure what they are looking for exactly...

I applied with a 3.9 GPA (though that'll be dropping after Biochem and Organometallics...) and a varied animal background including farm/clinical/personal. Horses, cows, cats, dogs, fish conservation/breeding, and tons of surgeries.

Based on the things they expect me to start doing this summer involving gaining more experience, they definitely want a varied background. I was quite a bit surprised and intimidated after reading the acceptance info they sent.

Has anyone else decided 100% that they are going? I'm still ripping out my hair trying to decide.

Not sure what they are looking for exactly...

I applied with a 3.9 GPA (though that'll be dropping after Biochem and Organometallics...) and a varied animal background including farm/clinical/personal. Horses, cows, cats, dogs, fish conservation/breeding, and tons of surgeries.

Based on the things they expect me to start doing this summer involving gaining more experience, they definitely want a varied background. I was quite a bit surprised and intimidated after reading the acceptance info they sent.

Do you mean animal experience strictly for the 'varied background'?

I ask because my vet decision was only in the last two years and I since then I have been busy working (to pay for school) and going to school to do my pre-reqs. I will have decent but limited vet experience... What sets me apart is my non-traditional background... so I guess I am wondering how they look at that and if they really do only seem to take the people who are 'lifers' (so to speak) of having worked with livestock or bred animals in the home and so on?

My reason for being interested in going to the UK schools is because I want to move back to the EU and work there after graduating... So it makes me a little concerned seeing that your animal experience contrasts so sharply with my own--I could see where that might be what they are draawing most on with their US applicants. ???

Anyone else have any insight?

Thank you for your reply!

Well, I think any Vet school is going to take experience into consideration. But you get the chance to explain in your application your situation. My vet experience is strictly limited to surgeries. The only days I can shadow are the days he does surgery, so I've no experience in patient interaction, x-rays, etc. I explained my lack of that experience in my application. Most colleges I've looked at recommend 400 hours of experience minimum. 400 hours isn't a lot when you think about it. Those hours don't have to be just hands-on vet stuff either. But you do have to consider that many people applying are going to have that experience - just make sure you have everything else (grades, etc.) to cover yourself

Darwin Jr:

Ah ha. I thought you were saying you had participated in surgeries (and I was wondering how in the heck you had...).

Thanks for the clarification.

I've done about 200 at one shelter, countelss as a foster cat parent (but I proabbly won't try to put a number on that, even though there was some INTENSE caregiving and handling) and shadowed a vet for 100 or so (hoping to do more this summer and get wildlife rehab experience)...

I'm glad to hear you weren't able to gain experience practicing--since it's damn near hard enough in Seattle to find vets willing to let you even shadow/observe!!

Edinburgh sounds great and although it is an astronomical investment (at least compared to my in-state), I think I would go if I could--perhaps 1st choice. I think you ought to go for it.

I've never been to Edinburgh but one of my friends from when Ilived in Germany had been a student there. We both left around the same time and she went back to Edinburgh to do speech and hearing sciences while I went back to do pre-vet stuff.

Anyways, what other options are on your plate? And congrats on getting in!

Anyways, thanks for helping me out.

Hey Crazycatlady,

Just to add more insight, I am also deciding whether to go to Edinburgh (although I am 95% sure I am going there). It's hard to turn down in-state tuition at WSU but going to Scotland seems like the kind of opportunity you can't turn down! Anyway, my experience is mostly in research with rats (UW) with some experience volunteering at a vet clinic (I know what you mean about finding places in Seattle, it was hard.) I don't have a lot of varied experience. It seems like Edinburgh cares more about your academics than experience.

As for the program, I've only heard good things. My boss said that it is one of the best vet programs in Europe and he knows a little more being from London. I've also heard that UPENN modeled their program after Edinburgh's. Anyway, if you want to go to Scotland, definitely apply!

Sonofdarwin, let me know if you decide to go there. It would be nice to have someone to commiserate with about the process. I feel intimidated too. That EMS stuff will be really hard to get through.

>>>My boss said that it is one of the best vet programs in Europe<<<

They all say that. :) I've heard the same thing about Glasgow and London (RVC). It's kind of like saying UC Davis or Cornell or Colorado are "the best" vet schools.

EMS was a pain in the behind. But most generated experience that I'll never forget (though it concreted my plan of returning to the USA to practice).

Darwin Jr:

Ah ha. I thought you were saying you had participated in surgeries (and I was wondering how in the heck you had...).

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have participated in surgeries, but nothing major. Holding internals, holding back huge lipomas so he could get in there, etc. No cutty cutty done by me.

My medical advisors at school were very excited that I got in there and encourage me to go there over the other colleges (except Penn, but...) I've applied to or resorting to reapplying. One mistake I made this first time around was limiting myself at the outset. Only applying to four and the two from the US I applied to I had not such a good chance of getting into. Penn, well, is self explanatory and VA-MD has two states it contracts with, and mine isn't one of them!

I may end up reapplying after finding a place to take animal nutrition, which limited my choices the first time around. Or I may say to heck with it and just pack up and move. sdb9 I'll be in contact when I finally decide what I'm doing. There are many things going on in my life right now that I am trying to not make a decision while under pressure/stress. If I do decide to reapply, I'll definitely be reapplying to Edinburgh. I'm just not positive I'm ready to make that jump yet. I did recently receive an email about a student mentor to help make this easier. Maybe I'll talk to her so I'm not so overwhelmed by the EMS.

(though it concreted my plan of returning to the USA to practice).

I planned on doing that as well, but may I ask why?

I would have to agree that they probably stress academics more than experience. Their EMS studies kind of force you into gaining experience that you may have been lacking prior and also makes sure that every1 has a good balance. When I applied I had a fairly high gpa 3.8ish but not a lot of "vet" hours. My animal experience was only about 1500 hours but very varied. A friend of mine got in as well w/ a 3.7 and thousands of hours of just small animal and equine experience, so I dont really know what is weighted the most. Glasgow was really interested in my experience w/ large animals, since Edinburgh didn't interview I couldnt really get a feel for their focus. I would say it is virtually the same as a US school in terms of what they want from an applicant. I am a junior and will have no degree so I don't think that having a degree will give you an edge like a lot of the US schools consider.

Do you think it is higher ranked than most of the US schools? I am worried that specializing in the US after graduation will be more difficult if it is not really a better school by US standards, even if it is accredited. I know they have a low annual caseload, which affects the availability of clinical experience.

As far as "rankings" go, their program is different and comparing apples to oranges is kind of difficult, plus the kind of stuff that goes into rankings makes the whole thing pretty ludicrous (ie. how good is the cafeteria food?). I'm being facetious but I guess my point is that imo you should pick the school with the best program for what you want to concentrate in and that will give you the opportunities you are looking for. As far as the caseload goes, I'm not sure what the annual numbers are, but keep in mind that you will also have an extra 26 weeks (equiv. to two US semesters) worth of clinical EMS studies.