Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be applying here out of state/region. Anyone have any experience with that considering Appalachian state preference? What type of out of region stats are competitive? NJ is my state of residence.

I will be applying here out of state/region. Anyone have any experience with that considering Appalachian state preference? What type of out of region stats are competitive? NJ is my state of residence.
it really doesn't matter as long as you have a solid app...i was accepted there as an indiana resident and they never really asked me anything about staying in the area or them telling me that they have a strong Appalachian state preference...that's not something that i believe holds much weight to it

Members don't see this ad :)
who's getting excited? VCOM-CC class 2019!!

Reactions: 2 users
I was looking on the website for the requirements and I'm a little confused with this:

• A requirement for 6 additional biomedical science credit hours at the 300 level or above is required for matriculation (Faculty recommend courses inAnatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, or Genetics to enhance the student’s success in medical school).
That's not a typo and they really mean only six additional credit hours? Not six additional classes? I'm a Psychology major, so I haven't taken many classes outside of the premed required classes. I've taken Genetics and Biochem, adding up to six credits above the 300 level. That should technically fulfill the requirement, right? Thanks guys.

I was looking on the website for the requirements and I'm a little confused with this:

• A requirement for 6 additional biomedical science credit hours at the 300 level or above is required for matriculation (Faculty recommend courses inAnatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, or Genetics to enhance the student’s success in medical school).
That's not a typo and they really mean only six additional credit hours? Not six additional classes? I'm a Psychology major, so I haven't taken many classes outside of the premed required classes. I've taken Genetics and Biochem, adding up to six credits above the 300 level. That should technically fulfill the requirement, right? Thanks guys.
I feel like it is too important of a thing to be a typo and somebody not have picked up on it by now. But you could always call admissions and double check!

I feel like it is too important of a thing to be a typo and somebody not have picked up on it by now. But you could always call admissions and double check!

I know. You're probably right, but it wouldn't be something bizarre to ask for. I'll call Monday. Thanks.

it really doesn't matter as long as you have a solid app...i was accepted there as an indiana resident and they never really asked me anything about staying in the area or them telling me that they have a strong Appalachian state preference...that's not something that i believe holds much weight to it
when did you apply in the cycle and how long did it take to receive the secondary application? Thanks

I applied in mid July (which is pretty late) and got my secondary in September I think...apply earlier than I did cause my interview wasn't until January which isn't necessarily late but you def want an earlier interview if you can

anyone applying early decision?

I'm applying early decision. AACOMAS said primary app processing can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. I submitted and paid on June 4. I understand the EDP deadline is July 1st for submission, do you guys know if the application has to be processed/ Verified by this time or solely submitted?

I spoke to a Corey from admissions and he said, a no from EDP is a no for the cycle. Do you guys happen to know if its a "No" for VCOM VA campus?

i believe just submitted. I submitted mine on 6/1 and was verified 6/4. it says it was released to the school on 6/14

I spoke to a Corey from admissions and he said, a no from EDP is a no for the cycle. Do you guys happen to know if its a "No" for VCOM VA campus?

this is the first time I have heard of this

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. If it's accepted by being submitted by July 1st, then I feel better. I'm still "processing." My guess is repeat applications process faster?

Hey guys ! Do you know if there are any advantages to apply early decision? This is my number one school and I'm oos.

Hey guys ! Do you know if there are any advantages to apply early decision? This is my number one school and I'm oos.
talk to the admissions office and see what they have to say (ie if your a good candidate). if yes then you can relax and not have to hassle with applying to tons of schools only one

Thanks! I talked to them and they said I would be a good candidate but it's still risky incase I don't get in I would be behind in the cycle for other schools. I was just wondering if anybody knew the percentage of people they accept from early decision?

I was told the same. I'd be a good applicant. Was also told October "15" is around when notifications for acceptance are released in writing. Will this put us late in the game for other schools?

I know interviews for early decision will begin mid August so it just depends on how long it takes to get a response back. But if it is October that's pretty late.

I believe the ball should start rolling for this school soon. They just sent me a simple e-mail.

Thank you for submitting a primary application to VCOM. Please be advised your application was received from AACOMAS. We look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next two to three weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you regarding your status at that time.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone

Just got the secondary! Check your spam folders because that's where mine was.

Edit: Every summer throughout high school and the summer after high school, I went to a Christian camp that fixed up houses in the inner city for a week. Would this count as a "U.S. mission trip"? And should I even count it since I haven't done it since high school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just got the secondary! Check your spam folders because that's where mine was.

Edit: Every summer throughout high school and the summer after high school, I went to a Christian camp that fixed up houses in the inner city for a week. Would this count as a "U.S. mission trip"? And should I even count it since I haven't done it since high school?

Leave anything you did in high school out unless you continued it throughout college. That is the general rule.

Edit: Secondary prompts please?

Applied last cycle and was accepted. Excited to be part of the class of 2018! Good luck everyone applying this cycle! Hope to see you at the school for interviews! :)

Applied last cycle and was accepted. Excited to be part of the class of 2018! Good luck everyone applying this cycle! Hope to see you at the school for interviews! :)
Do you happen to know where the CC campus does rotations? And good luck to you starting out this year!

I received the e-mail that they had my primary app on 6/19 right after it was sent to the school. Then, today I received an e-mail stating that my app is pending review. Is this a bad sign considering some people seemed to have received secondaries or is it normal?

Just received the secondary! Anyone else interested in the new Auburn campus?

Just received the secondary! Anyone else interested in the new Auburn campus?
I am! Did you receive a secondary from Auburn also? or Is it one secondary that all 3 campuses can see?

I am! Did you receive a secondary from Auburn also? or Is it one secondary that all 3 campuses can see?

On the secondary they sent out, you have the option of selecting your preferences (1, 2, or 3) between each campus, so I'm assuming it's just one secondary.

Very much wanting to be apart of this new class!

Are the secondaries the same for both the Carolina and Virginia campus?

Yes.

One secondary, and you rank the campuses by your preference! So, only one fee for up to three schools!

I had a dream I got an interview here last night. I was sad to wake up and realize my letters aren't even in so that's not even possible lol

Are the secondary prompts the same as last year's?

I got the secondary for this campus and I sent a primary to both the Carolinas Campus and Auburn Campus, but I noticed on the secondary you could rank your preferences and that included the Virginia campus. I know that I didn't send a primary application to the campus, but would I still rank it as a third option? Or just 1 and 2 for the ones I applied?

This is going to be my second DO secondary. This and PCOM are my favorites so far, but we will see when the interviews start (hopefully). I am applying to both Auburn and Carolinas. Don't know how I will rank the campus'. I mean I love the Applachians, but still..

I would appreciate any info on the classes here and clinical rotations from any current students. I am alittle worried about the hospital rotations with D.O. (i.e. having to move place to place every 3 months). I am a non-trad and do have a family, so if anyone could tell I would appreciate.

So I talked with VCOM's very friendly admission staff just now, they indicated that if you are competitive for an interview that they try to interview you where you ranked highest, unless they feel you would be a really good fit at a different campus.

Hey everyone I have a question about VCOM's secondary. If we haven't applied to VCOM before do we need to write this essay? Given the "in the event" part of the questions it almost sounds hypothetical so everyone should write an essay for it.

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

Hey everyone I have a question about VCOM's secondary. If we haven't applied to VCOM before do we need to write this essay? Given the "in the event" part of the questions it almost sounds hypothetical so everyone should write an essay for it.

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

Don't over think it. I means if you applied to VCOM last year then answer the question.

For grammatical syntax sake, in the event you submitted is past tense- meaning if you did this____ then explain___.

One secondary, and you rank the campuses by your preference! So, only one fee for up to three schools!
This is awesome. Does anyone think being part of a new class is anything to be concerned about? I'm trying to rank the schools (1, 2, and 3) for my preference.

Edit: So you apply to all three from AACOMAS and then you receive a universal secondary?

Last edited:
This is awesome. Does anyone think being part of a new class is anything to be concerned about? I'm trying to rank the schools (1, 2, and 3) for my preference.

Edit: So you apply to all three from AACOMAS and then you receive a universal secondary?

Any new school will have its hiccups. Just gotta do your homework.

Yes, individual primaries and only the one secondary.

Don't over think it. I means if you applied to VCOM last year then answer the question.

For grammatical syntax sake, in the event you submitted is past tense- meaning if you did this____ then explain___.

Ok thanks the wording seemed like it could go either way. One less essay to do lol

Ok thanks the wording seemed like it could go either way. One less essay to do lol

For sure, no problemo. I can def. relate.

Also, if you still have your doubts just give them a call. I called with a question a few weeks back and they were super nice.

Pending for MCAT scores to be posted. Can someone post the secondary prompts?