Effect of hybrid/online curriculums for incoming M1s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What impacts will remote curriculums have on the incoming M1 class? I have heard that it could be a net benefit as remote pre-clinical curriculum was long overdue (i.e. excess in-person "mandatory" events), and the pandemic helped catalyze the transition. But I also feel like there are also tangible negatives, like being unable to shadow physicians in specialties of interest, meet with mentors for research opportunities, and socialize with classmates. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The social impact will be the biggest thing.

My school (now alma mater) is still going to hold in-person thing. My school moved to an online lecture only curriculum years ago though.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
What impacts will remote curriculums have on the incoming M1 class? I have heard that it could be a net benefit as remote pre-clinical curriculum was long overdue (i.e. excess in-person "mandatory" events), and the pandemic helped catalyze the transition. But I also feel like there are also tangible negatives, like being unable to shadow physicians in specialties of interest, meet with mentors for research opportunities, and socialize with classmates. Thoughts?
So i just finished my M1 year, and, obviously, for the second half of the spring semester we were on quarantine at home. To be honest, i liked it so much more. I could really focus on studying, my grades improved, and overall i feel so much happier. My overall well-being definitely improved.
A few things important to note though - i am an introvert, i live alone but i have pets that keep me company, and i am on the phone/online a lot. I do miss shadowing, but i know that we will have so much of it later that i am not worried. and my summer research was cancelled :((. But we do have zoom meetings with mentors, etc. So overall, for a person like me, it has been a huge plus. I feel like i can channel all my energy into studying and thinking over my goals, self-growth, etc. Sort of pause and think life over.

But i think it must be much harder for extroverts.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The social impact will be the biggest thing.

My school (now alma mater) is still going to hold in-person thing. My school moved to an online lecture only curriculum years ago though.
congratulations on the graduation!!!! i remember seeing you around for a while, - ever since i joined SDN. It is so nice to see familiar faces progressing through their career. Do you mind sharing what specialty you ended up matching in? no need to name hospital, if you want to stay incognito.

So i just finished my M1 year, and, obviously, for the second half of the spring semester we were on quarantine at home. To be honest, i liked it so much more. I could really focus on studying, my grades improved, and overall i feel so much happier. My overall well-being definitely improved.
A few things important to note though - i am an introvert, i live alone but i have pets that keep me company, and i am on the phone/online a lot. I do miss shadowing, but i know that we will have so much of it later that i am not worried. and my summer research was cancelled :((. But we do have zoom meetings with mentors, etc. So overall, for a person like me, it has been a huge plus. I feel like i can channel all my energy into studying and thinking over my goals, self-growth, etc. Sort of pause and think life over.

I would still like to attend some classes in person even though it was a lot more efficient getting work done while being quarantined at home. I hope most schools allow the first years to at least have the option to meet each other otherwise it would be a weird transition with immediately starting classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would still like to attend some classes in person even though it was a lot more efficient getting work done while being quarantined at home. I hope most schools allow the first years to at least have to option meet each other otherwise it would be a weird transition with immediately starting classes.
yeah i see your point. i think my school is considering a mix - big lectures online, smaller groups in person, but we are in the area of relatively low number of infected people. I mean, dont forget, that this is all for a reason, - for protection of students and staff. This is not simply because school wants to change policies for the fun of it.

Oh 100%, I would completely understand if most schools decided to keep majority of their courses online, and frankly, I don’t think I would return to lecture as much in person right now with the current situation.

Oh 100%, I would completely understand if most schools decided to keep majority of their courses online, and frankly, I don’t think I would return to lecture as much in person right now with the current situation.
I heard that Harvard is going online..... It is only the matter of time for the rest to follow

Reactions: 1 users
What do you guys think will be the impact on tuition if moved online?

I heard that Harvard is going online..... It is only the matter of time for the rest to follow
I don't think most will follow
Harvard is Harvard lol, they can afford to just stay online

congratulations on the graduation!!!! i remember seeing you around for a while, - ever since i joined SDN. It is so nice to see familiar faces progressing through their career. Do you mind sharing what specialty you ended up matching in? no need to name hospital, if you want to stay incognito.
FM!

• Love
I agree the social impact is the biggest. Those first few months (especially orientation and first month) with all the social events were instrumental in allowing me to figure out who I click with, who I don't, study groups etc. I think you'll have that opportunity when it's safe to go back to the normal routine, but, I feel like it's easier to be in the social mode right at the beginning of something new rather than in the middle. Wouldn't worry so much about the shadowing/research (can do zoom) as you'll have enough time to figure that out.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently my school will adopt a hybrid curriculum. Large lectures are remote, small group/anatomy/physical exam in person. I suspect many other schools will do the same instead of adopting Harvard's fully online approach, which I personally think is almost a careless solution.

Apparently my school will adopt a hybrid curriculum. Large lectures are remote, small group/anatomy/physical exam in person. I suspect many other schools will do the same instead of adopting Harvard's fully online approach, which I personally think is almost a careless solution.

just wondering why do you think it’s careless?

just wondering why do you think it’s careless?
I could be 100% wrong seeing as I am an aforementioned incoming M1 without med school curriculum exposure—which is why I prefaced my characterization of the decision as being my personal thoughts/opinions—but I think it's worth considering risks to public health vs. impacts on student learning carefully to decide what activities may be safe to conduct in person vs. what activities are not. This seems more thought out and beneficial for students as opposed to implementing a blanket solution of moving everything online. I know moving curriculum online also entails work on the school's end and am not implying that this is an easy solution, but I personally am more in favor of the approach my school is taking (and for what it's worth the impact of Covid is similar in my school's region vs. Boston).

Last edited:
I also like the blended model that my school is introducing for MS1/MS2s. I think you'll get lots of the benefits of small groups, with more flexibility for listening to recorded lectures. However, I also think that if there's a second wave that overwhelms our healthcare systems that students should be prepared that their small groups may also move online. But hopefully by that point they've met some of their classmates in person and established some friendships/ ground rules for communicating in their small groups.

Do people think it would be irresponsible to schedule meetings with advisors and mentors right now for research?

Zoom meetings? No, but you should probably pick a data analysis project that can be done remotely.

going hybrid can save you a lot of mandatory events/meetings

IDK, med school in general is easier and the isolation is more doable when you've already established study habits that work for you and classmates to keep in touch with. So now that I'm an established med student it's fine and I'm happy, but I can't imagine learning biochem/immuno and getting the hang of Anki by myself in my apartment as a fresh M1 - without the assistance of my classmates or upperclassmen. A while back, I solo studied for the MCAT without much support and even that was stressful as hell at times, especially considering how I had to self-teach some of the material for the first time (much like med school).

If you have a weak biology/anatomy background or aren't especially introverted, it might end up being a hell of an adjustment.

Reactions: 3 users
IDK, med school in general is easier and the isolation is more doable when you've already established study habits that work for you and classmates to keep in touch with. So now that I'm an established med student it's fine and I'm happy, but I can't imagine learning biochem/immuno and getting the hang of Anki by myself in my apartment as a fresh M1 - without the assistance of my classmates or upperclassmen. A while back, I solo studied for the MCAT without much support and even that was stressful as hell at times, especially considering how I had to self-teach some of the material for the first time (much like med school).

If you have a weak biology/anatomy background or aren't especially introverted, it might end up being a hell of an adjustment.
Good point .., I used a tutor for anatomy from my department (school provides them for free), and this guy was incredible.