Effexor capsules vs. tablets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geefur16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the extended release venlafaxine tablets and capsules were interchangeable. I have been told by a colleague that they are not AB rated (I know they were not when they first came out.), but if you look in the Orange Book, the extended release tablets and capsules both have a rating of "AB," and thus should be interchangeable...or so I would think. Anyone out there know the definitive answer? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They are differen dosage forms and therefore not therapeutic equivalent by definition (not ab rated). But they are bioequivalent

Last edited:
They are differen dosage forms and therefore not therapeutic equivalent by definition (not ab rated). But they are bioequivalent
As far as I've understood, you can never sub tablets and capsules. Exceptions of course would be if there is no such product available (rx written for lisinopril capsules) or a drug shortage (like triamterene/hctz, but we still called to let the prescriber know.)

Something that came up today at work though: can you sub an ODT for a tablet? Technically it is still a tablet, which is what is ordered on the rx. The reason I ask is that olanzapine ODT has an acquisition cost about $100 below the regular tablet, so it would save quite a bit of money to sub them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the extended release venlafaxine tablets and capsules were interchangeable. I have been told by a colleague that they are not AB rated (I know they were not when they first came out.), but if you look in the Orange Book, the extended release tablets and capsules both have a rating of "AB," and thus should be interchangeable...or so I would think. Anyone out there know the definitive answer? Thanks!

You cannot legally change between them without some level of prescriptive authority. Therapeutically, it won't make a difference. Just like using a generic for pyridium is illegal when a physician orders the brand name.

You cannot substitute them without contacting the prescriber. Plus, Effexor tablets and XR capsules seem to be used for different things. The capsules are more likely to be used for depression, and the tablets for restless leg syndrome and other off-label uses.

I know technically we are not supposed to sub a tablet for a capsule or vice versa, but I have never had a prescriber not allow me to switch one for the other. 9 of 10 times the nurse or the prescriber will give you attitude and say things like, "of course, yeah, whatever". They are more concerned that the patient is getting 37.5mg of Venlafaxine than they are with whether it is a capsule or tablet.

(get ready for various responses from students about the benefits of one oral solid dosage form over the other and why the prescriber may prefer one over the other based on a myriad very specific and rare medical conditions)

I know technically we are not supposed to sub a tablet for a capsule or vice versa, but I have never had a prescriber not allow me to switch one for the other. 9 of 10 times the nurse or the prescriber will give you attitude and say things like, "of course, yeah, whatever". They are more concerned that the patient is getting 37.5mg of Venlafaxine than they are with whether it is a capsule or tablet.

Actually it has been found that in certain patient populations a capsule can be preferred over a tablet due to...

(get ready for various responses from students about the benefits of one oral solid dosage form over the other and why the prescriber may prefer one over the other based on a myriad very specific and rare medical conditions)

...opps. :oops: