Egypt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AgmalLella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm an American student who will be graduating from college this may...anyway, i know I want to be a physician, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any information about O6U other than what's already written on their website. Is this university accredited? Will I be able to become a physician in the U.S, or Egypt? Also, are there any other Universities in Egypt that accept foreign students? I have dual citizenship. I hope to hear from some of you Egyptians soon :))

Sherin

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sherine

I am assuming that you have egyptian and US citizienship like myself. My cousin actually graduate from O6U engineering school. I don't know any specific information about O6U medical school, but in general, the private schools in Egypt are not very great compared to schools here in the U.S or even in Egypt. They are most geared towards rich egyptian kids who didn't score high enough fel sanaweya. As you know, the average egyptian family would not be able to afford 20,000 LE per year. If you want to practice in the U.S. in the future, I would advise to enter any school you can here in the U.S., even a D.O. school. If you do end up going to school in O6U, you will be taking a very long road. However, if you plan to permanently move back to Egypt, then going to O6U wouldn't be a bad idea. You will probably need to get some information about transferring there.

But the university is accredited if you are wondering. You would be able to practice medicine in Egypt of course, but if you want to get a medical degree from O6U then practice in the U.S. you have to check if they accredited for the USMLE. I think you can check that out in the USMLE site. If they are accredited, you need to take the USMLE and all the other requirements that foreign students need to take.

I was sort of in your position a couple of years back. I was a freshman at South Dakota State University and I really thought about going back home for school with my buddies. But, I figured it's in my best interest to keep going to school here. I'll be graduating this December and I'll be applying to some medical schools this summer (en shaa allah)

if you need more help I can chat with you on MSN

salamat

I agree with Hoooba. Even though I think you will get great education at O6U, you will still be the dreaded "Foreign Medical Graduate," which will make things a little harder if you are interested into one of the competitive residencies here in the U.S., unless of course you smash the boards. However, if you are going into primary care, I think you will be fine so long as you pass them.

What I would do is call O6U and find if they have any information about the pass rate of their graduates who sat for the USMLE.

I know that O6U is rigrous; they make you work hard and I'm sure that you will be adequately prepared to practice medicine. So I wouldn't worry. My dad also tells me that O6U and other private universities are becoming more selective every year. I visited their website, and the school seem to be well-organized. So good luck with your choices...! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoooba said:
Hi Sherine

I am assuming that you have egyptian and US citizienship like myself. My cousin actually graduate from O6U engineering school. I don't know any specific information about O6U medical school, but in general, the private schools in Egypt are not very great compared to schools here in the U.S or even in Egypt. They are most geared towards rich egyptian kids who didn't score high enough fel sanaweya. As you know, the average egyptian family would not be able to afford 20,000 LE per year. If you want to practice in the U.S. in the future, I would advise to enter any school you can here in the U.S., even a D.O. school. If you do end up going to school in O6U, you will be taking a very long road. However, if you plan to permanently move back to Egypt, then going to O6U wouldn't be a bad idea. You will probably need to get some information about transferring there.

But the university is accredited if you are wondering. You would be able to practice medicine in Egypt of course, but if you want to get a medical degree from O6U then practice in the U.S. you have to check if they accredited for the USMLE. I think you can check that out in the USMLE site. If they are accredited, you need to take the USMLE and all the other requirements that foreign students need to take.

I was sort of in your position a couple of years back. I was a freshman at South Dakota State University and I really thought about going back home for school with my buddies. But, I figured it's in my best interest to keep going to school here. I'll be graduating this December and I'll be applying to some medical schools this summer (en shaa allah)

if you need more help I can chat with you on MSN

salamat

Hi there,

I have a somewhat different perspective. I'm pasting here the PM I sent to Sherine:

Dear Sherin,

I'd really encourage you to attend Octoer 6 University. Contrary to what everybody else may tell you, I believe their students receive quality education. It is a rumor propagated by students of government medical schools that O6U is not really good. Their students study from American textbooks and review books, which makes it easier to study for the American boards, as you will not be faced by the dilemma we face when we shift from Egyptian to American texts (I'm a last yeay med student at the Uni of Alexandria, a governement school). They also have brand new labs and teaching facilities, as well as a new, well-equipped hospital. Due to the geographic location of the school, there might not be enough patients to allow students to gain the appropriate clinical experience. So, they have made agreements to send their students to Kasr Al- Aini (Cairo Uni) School of medicine, and O6U students work alongside the students of Cairo Univ. They are even given privilages because "they pay money"!!. The only problem I think they have is the underquality of the academic level of SOME of the students
attending the school. This is mainly because they accept students with low performance in high school. This problem is solved because med school is really tough, and many of the not-so-good students fail, and the really good ones survive. There are a lot of really good students attending the school, and the non-Egyptian students are particularly excellent. I have a couple of friends studying there, one Jordanian and one Lebanese. Regarding the ability to practise in the US, it really makes no difference where u attend med school, except for I believe O6U will better prepare u. The school has been recently approved by the Ministry of Higher education and Physician syndicate in Egypt, and their graduates are conisdered equal to the graduates of Government schools. The government has submitted an inquiry to the WHO to list O6U med school (and MUST med school) in the WHO directory of medical schools (the coming one is in 2008, I think). O6U med school has been added to the IMED directory of ECFMG, which means that all the graduates may sit for the USMLEs and subsequently practise in the US. I believe they also have partnerships with some of the US schools, allowing their students to do electives in the US.

There is another option which is Misr University of Science and Technology (MUST) which I think is a good alternative as well.

Please note that the duration of study is not as American medical schools, but rather it is a 6 year program followed by a year of compulsory internship. This applies to both schools.

If I can be of any more help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Good luck!!!!!

Mohamed

Shobra said:
What I would do is call O6U and find if they have any information about the pass rate of their graduates who sat for the USMLE.

Ya 3am Shobra,

They have just been approved last year, and have been added to the IMED directory like a couple of months ago. So, I don believe they have a record of students who passed the USMLEs because simply they have none. Give it some time.

Mohamed

Fascia Lata said:
Ya 3am Shobra,

They have just been approved last year, and have been added to the IMED directory like a couple of months ago. So, I don believe they have a record of students who passed the USMLEs because simply they have none. Give it some time.

Mohamed

Oh, my bad! I am sure still that O6U grads will do just fine, especially since you said they use textbooks used by U.S. medical schools. I think it would be even better if they make them take the MCAT after their first two years of school. This way they can be much more prepared for the USMLE.

Anyways, I hope I could see more private schools in Egypt so it eases the pressure a little on public schools.

:) hi all (ahllan wa sahlan),
even though i am a senior status, i am taking this summer my MCAT for the first time . i would like to hear some feed back from those who experienced it and did well. any advice is valueble. shukran

sharif

is anyone from ohio state university in here? if yes, please holla back

For me it's the other way around i'm in a college in Egypt only in kasr el ainy and I want to transfer or even start over in the US with my father it's kinda complicated. Anyways to answer your question I know a friend in o6c, he's in dentistry though but is happy there and I hear the college is acredited.

hi there :luck: , im in the o6u if any one need help contact me in the msn or pm me here , [email protected] thats my msn
by the way im from iraq is any one in this fourm from there :)

Hey Guys, I am currently a Junior in High school in America. I took AP Classes in all Science courses avaliable. I want to study medicine in Egypt. However, I don't know the requirements for the SAT's and what scores do they accept. I also want to know if they need subject SAT's . Ya rab had ya3ref

hey everyone:
My opinion, i don't think it is a good idea, coz i did it my self.
As for the SAT's they ask for 850-900 i guess in part 1 i don't really remember i got almost 1300 anyway and i don't remember about part 2 at all. for the scores in each subject you need to pass and take 8 subjects or more in the last 2 years of high school including chemistry, biology and physics. but all this info i am telling you is 5 years old so recheck plz.
P.S if you are going to study in Egypt, study in a private university.

good luck in your decision :thumbup:

P.S if you are going to study in Egypt, study in a private university.

good luck in your decision :thumbup:

I am seconding that, and i study is Kasr el Aini..