Einstein Vs. Boston University (BU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bandboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I got into Einstein a couple months ago and just got off the waitlist at BU. I had a good time at Einstein’s second look so I’m split on where to go.

I feel like the two schools are pretty similar which is why I’m having trouble choosing – they both serve diverse urban populations, provide a strong clinical education, and are similar in ranking. I enjoyed the vibe at both schools and have friends and family in both cities.

I’d love to hear what other people think. I know there are several threads comparing the two, but most are old or focused on other schools as well and none have my personal factors.

Einstein
Pros
  • Enjoyed the second look and it seems like people have a good time/enjoy medical school (have heard BU students are a bit more stressed out)
  • Like the living together/housing situation (which is significantly cheaper than BU)
Cons
  • Bronx is probably less desirable area than South End of Boston (although I don’t know Boston well so feel free to comment)
Being off for the Jewish Holidays is unimportant to me.
BU
Pros
  • Enjoyed the vibe on interview day and really liked my interviewer
  • Bigger name at least outside New York
  • New city, which I’d love to work in
  • Better research opportunities?
Cons
  • More expensive (even with merit scholarship) due to cost of housing/school
  • Farther from girlfriend (she’s in DC)
Thoughts?

I'm interested in social determinants of medicine, public health, and will be looking at the gamut of procedural and primary care specialties.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are well established programs.

Einstein has a significant Jewish tradition and history.

One is in the Bronx and one is in Boston.

I would say go by finances if you liked them both equally.